1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

torque specs and sequence patterns

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque specs and sequence patterns

Hey guys been a long time since i talked to you. my computer decided to take a perminate vacation. so now that i'm back in action again, i come to with much need of your expertise. I've managed to round up another engine, by the way my engine was to far gone to repair, so now with this other engine i have' i'm replacing most all the gaskets before i install it. so i know for certain that i won't run into this problem anytime soon. the question i have, is does any one on know the bolt pattern,ie the order of which the bolts are tighten on both the intake to cylinder head, and upper and lower intake manifold. I've looked on line and all i found was the cylinder head to block torque sequence, and the exhaust manifold to head torque sequence. but nothing on the intake, i would assume that where there are so many bolts, they would have to be tighten in a certain order. so if anyone has any knowledge of this please let know. this is the only thing that's got me hung up from compleating this project. thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you. T.C.M.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a pic of the torque sequence. Basically it's work your way out from the center.

Secondly, on my 460 i tighten mine to 80 ft lbs. Without knowing what your engine is I would say start at 40, then 60 and finally 72-80 ft lbs. You will have to go through the same sequence three times. You don't want to go all the way to 80 right away as that will stretch the bolt too much at one time.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Thumbs up torque sequence and specs

sorry about that, my truck has a 4.9 inline 6 and I need the bolt pattern for which to tighten the intake manifold to cylinder head and also the upper intake plenum to lower intake. these specs I can't find anywhere and I don't want to tighten them in the wrong order for fear of breaking something or snapping a bolt off. so if you or any one else has any info on how to do this correctly, would be great. pics or images would do well also. thanks again T.C.M.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Jonathan Page
New User
Manifold tightening specs

sequence is

11 7 3 2 6 10 14

13 9 5 1 4 8 12

Per chilton truck repair book.
Doesn't say on torque though. Just say's put it back how ya found it.

Last edited by Jonathan Page; 04-08-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: put in exhaust specs
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
The sequence will be basically the same. Start at the middle and work your way out with three steps. Torque to 40, 60 then 80. I just did a google search for 4.9 ford head torque sequence. Here's an image to go by:

The intake is similar:

From what I can find the torque specs for the intake are 27 ft lbs.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 AM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jonathan Page
sequence is

11 7 3 2 6 10 14

13 9 5 1 4 8 12

Per chilton truck repair book.
Doesn't say on torque though. Just say's put it back how ya found it.
thank you very much, this will come in handy. I see that there is a pic of the lower intake sequence specs, does this apply also for the upper part of the intake as well? The part where the plenum connects to the lower part. is there a certain pattern these bolts go? the flanges on these plenum are not very thin and easy to break, so knowing how the pattern of which the bolts go would be helpful. Also what are the torque specs for the upper plenum? Are they the same as the lower intake? thanks again. T.C.M.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 AM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Hey guys sorry for the absence, been dealing with some family issues.But i still need your help on the task at hand. So farI've gotten the cylinder head, exhaust manifold, and the LOWER intake manifold al torqued down, but not the upper plenum. I've tried using the same pattern i took them out, but it seems like more pressure is being loaded more on one side than the other, and I've tried tightening them all same torque, but it don't seem to work. Is there a particular pattern these bolts have to in and what torque? If you have any info or pics on how to solve this matter,would be most welcome. Thanks, T.C.M.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:33 AM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this the same truck you have owned with the water in the coolant issue? Or did you buy an older truck, just noticed you are in an older truck forum now.

Anyways can you describe the problem better i am having a hard time grasping what could be wrong here. Is it a fitment problem and causing bolts to bind?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Sorry for the confusion, Yes this is the same truck with the the coolant problem. I ended up getting another cylinder head cause the the other one was damaged. But the problem i ran into when i began to assemble the engine, I could only find torque specs for the head, exhaust, and lower intake manifold But nothing on the upper plenum bolt pattern or what torque they are. I read up on one site i managed to find, was to put the bolts back the same order they came out. But when I tried this, I found that some areas would have a wider gap than others and i didn't want to tighten them down for fear of breaking the plenum. So this is why I was wondering if anyone had any info on how to torque this down properly. Hope this clears things up for you and that you can provide me with some info on this matter. Thanks T.C.M.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Can you post some pics?