1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Is my engine totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM
jrm4jrm4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is an issue with the fuel injector system like you said, do you have any suggestions as to what could solve that issue?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I've not worked on many of the FI systems, although there are tests to be run that would help figure it out. But, before doing that I'd like to hear from some of the others to see if they think my theory is all wet or not. I'm known to have some ..... bizarre ideas, so let's see what others think.

But, in the interim, have you had any warning lights coming on?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
jrm4jrm4
New User
well regardless I appreciate your help, and no I haven't had any lights coming on, don't think my check engine light works to be honest, at this point I am just trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with it to see if it is worth fixing or not

Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Happy to help, but I'm not sure that I have - yet. But hang in there, we will figure it out.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm not sure about the oil leak, please post some photos if you could.

But what your description of the engine running rough before not starting and now starts then "locks up" with a bang..... sounds like it jumped the cam chain to me.

With all the cranking trying to start the engine, it very well have flooded up(black wet spark plugs) and if the engine jumped timing on the cam, it will never clear out. I had this happen on my 89 F250 when the 302 ate the cam sprocket.

Best to do a compression check, that will tell you alot!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
How high is the oil level?
Is the crankcase full of gasoline?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564

But what your description of the engine running rough before not starting and now starts then "locks up" with a bang..... sounds like it jumped the cam chain to me.

With all the cranking trying to start the engine, it very well have flooded up(black wet spark plugs) and if the engine jumped timing on the cam, it will never clear out. I had this happen on my 89 F250 when the 302 ate the cam sprocket.

That makes more sense than the FI system flooding it to the point of hydro-locking.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
He doesn't have a CEL, first year for that was 1988 IIRC.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Cole Neese
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564

That was my first thought too. You could pull the timing cover and see if the chain is loose.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 PM
reroy
Senior User
Originally Posted by jrm4jrm4
If it is an issue with the fuel injector system like you said, do you have any suggestions as to what could solve that issue?
I still think you should get a tester and find out how much compression you
have in each cylinder.

There are two types of mechanics. you got your parts changers... guys that spend money and put in new parts to see what they do.. and you got guys
that do a diagnosis.. You need compression, fuel, and spark.. all happening at the correct time in order for an engine to run..

Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by reroy
I still think you should get a tester and find out how much compression you
have in each cylinder.

There are two types of mechanics. you got your parts changers... guys that spend money and put in new parts to see what they do.. and you got guys
that do a diagnosis.. You need compression, fuel, and spark.. all happening at the correct time in order for an engine to run..
Amen. A compression test would tell you quite a bit. But, if you are hiring it done then have them do a leak-down test, which will tell even more.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM
jrm4jrm4
New User
So I finally got a chance to take a look at the truck again, been busy the last couple days. Anyways, I did a compression check; cylinder 1 read around 90 psi, #2 was 120, #3 was 125, and numbers 4-8 were all around 145. Also, the first few times i turned the engine over cylinder 8 spewed gas all over the place, and when i say spew i mean enough for some gas to hit me in the face from 4 feet away. After I put the plugs back in I tried finding where the oil leak was coming from, It seems to be coming from the main seal underneath the truck. I don't have the know how or the extra money at this time to fix these issues, so it looks like i'm gonna be taking the old girl off the road this week. Regardless, I appreciate everyone who tried to help me figure out what the issue was, hopefully one day I'll try to get her running again

Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If you have that much gas in the cylinder then maybe my theory isn't so far-fetched. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil and check the level. If it is high and smells like gas then you may be squirting huge quantities of gas in via the injectors. That would cause it to run poorly, if at all, and potentially to hydro-lock while cranking - until the gas runs down past the rings. And, if you put enough in the crankcase then when the engine turns over it has to go somewhere.

So, just pull the dip stick and check the oil level as well as the smell/feel.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jrm4jrm4
............ the first few times i turned the engine over cylinder 8 spewed gas all over the place, and when i say spew i mean enough for some gas to hit me in the face from 4 feet away......

You found your problem!! Cylinder 8 injector is leaking badly to cause that! It is not a ECU issue as the ECU fires 4 injectors for each "bank" and if no other cylinders ejected gas out while doing the compression test, I'd replace #8 injector and do a oil change also Like Gary said.

Years ago, I had a 2-smoke dirt bike, carb flooded the engine crankcase full of fuel. I took out the plug and my dip %^^% friend kicked the thing over as soon as I got the plug out. Got a face full of gas and that WAS NOT FUN at all. 20 years ago that stuff burns eyes, I hate to get hit with this "modern gas" the way it smells.....

Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 PM
jrm4jrm4
New User
I think you may be right, I'm just confused as to why the major oil leak would occur at the same time, I just cannot figure out how those two issues are related, also would that account for the variation for the compression test on cylinders 1,2 and 3

Quick Reply: Is my engine totalled?