Sponsored by: Moser

Need new tires... How big can I go??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Tuxcedo_Black
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new tires... How big can I go??

So I keep running flats and now a blowout on my Goodyear Wranglers that came with my truck from the factory.. They only have 20k miles but I love driving off roads, dirt roads, and hitting that speed governor whenever I can. I've just started researching the tires I want and I'm interested in the Falken Wildpeaks, BFG All Terrain TKOs, and possibly the Nitto Terra Grapplers.. Open for more opionions. BUT, I know my wheels are 18" I just am unsure of their width.. The tires on them now are 275/65R15 I would like to get the tallest tire I can safely fit on my stock wheels. I don't have all the money in the world so that's why I'm most interested in the Wildpeaks so I can also install a leveling kit with the new tires.

My truck is a 2012 high payload 4x4

Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be going with the Toyo AT2 when these crap Goodyear tires wear out. Great all around tire, good looks, but not too aggressive and noisy. I'll contemplate bumping up one size from a 275/65r18 to 275/70r18, which are about an inch taller, but no wider. With my 3.73s it might even help out my highway mileage a little, who knows.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuxcedo_Black
So I keep running flats and now a blowout on my Goodyear Wranglers that came with my truck from the factory.. They only have 20k miles but I love driving off roads, dirt roads, and hitting that speed governor whenever I can. I've just started researching the tires I want and I'm interested in the Falken Wildpeaks, BFG All Terrain TKOs, and possibly the Nitto Terra Grapplers.. Open for more opionions. BUT, I know my wheels are 18" I just am unsure of their width.. The tires on them now are 275/65R15 I would like to get the tallest tire I can safely fit on my stock wheels. I don't have all the money in the world so that's why I'm most interested in the Wildpeaks so I can also install a leveling kit with the new tires.

Look at the top of the FTE page, hover your mouse over the TOOLS section, there is a tire and rim calculator, you can play around with different tire and wheel size configurations. Might help.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM
TCAS007
Senior User
Great pictures of your truck. You must be into photography.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts

Your post is sort of contradictory. If your truck is indeed the truck in those photos it's certainly not a heavy payload models. Those have some funky-looking 7-lug 17" wheels that your truck doesn't have. And your 18" wheels would have a stock size that ends in "R18" instead of 15. Probably just a typo, but worth mentioning.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:37 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tom
Your post is sort of contradictory. If your truck is indeed the truck in those photos it's certainly not a heavy payload models. Those have some funky-looking 7-lug 17" wheels that your truck doesn't have. And your 18" wheels would have a stock size that ends in "R18" instead of 15. Probably just a typo, but worth mentioning.
Hey Tom,
Which truck are you talking about? I'm scratching my head now, I can't find a photo of his truck anywhere, I did notice the 15" / 18" discrepancy though.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Tuxcedo_Black
New User
I tried using the calculator and it was no benefit to me. to be truthful I really don't understand tire sizes I was just hoping to see what sizes other people ran with 18" wheels.

Does anyone have an idea what the width of my wheels are?
I'm going to change the oil the next day it's nice and I guess I could pull one off to see the stamp mark on the back.

My truck has the high payload tow package up to almost 12k lbs

Oh and that was a typo. The tire ends in R18

And yeah lol this gave me the chance to share a few pictures of it. I'm always out adventuring and shooting pictures when I'm bored and then it's just there photograph worthy every time I look at it.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Hey Tom,
Which truck are you talking about? I'm scratching my head now, I can't find a photo of his truck anywhere, I did notice the 15" / 18" discrepancy though.
Never mind, my company computer was not allowing his pictures to download. I can see them on the Ipad.
Nice truck btw!!!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Yup, they're 7.5" wide.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I tried using the calculator and it was no benefit to me. to be truthful I really don't understand tire sizes I was just hoping to see what sizes other people ran with 18" wheels.

I'm going to change the oil the next day it's nice and I guess I could pull one off to see the stamp mark on the back.

My truck has the high payload tow package up to almost 12k lbs

Oh and that was a typo. The tire ends in R18

And yeah lol this gave me the chance to share a few pictures of it. I'm always out adventuring and shooting pictures when I'm bored and then it's just there photograph worthy every time I look at it.
You should be able to look at the window sticker and get the description, go to say tirerack.com and cross reference the wheels there, the web site will give you offset, backspacing, etc. You owners manual is usually "generic" and covers all tire sizes.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
LM14
Senior User
Go to a reputable tire dealer and talk to them. They will tell you what the largest tire you can safely put on your wheel. If they tell you they will only put on the size that is already on it, go to a better dealer.

I have 2 local dealers that will give opinions on alternate sizes and a dozen others that want to look at the door tag only, due to liabilities.

SPark

Old 03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Stock 18" wheels are 5.5" wide with a +44mm offset.

I read in another post that the tallest tire somone could fit with a 2" leveling kit was a Toyo Open Country AT2 285/75/18. That is a 34" tall tire that is 11.2" wide. I think you can even fit a slightly wider tire without rubbing once the truck is leveled.

I haven't had any problems with my stock Goodyear tires, doing fine in the snow even some 2 foot deep hard pack without chains. I haven't done much off roading on dirt with it yet and I haven't hit the rev limiter...so our driving styles are a bit different.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Tuxcedo_Black
New User
The stock Goodyear tires have actually been great, I've been through countless mud and tons of snow with them without any issues. But I'm living in barren country now and I really like taking my truck places I probably shouldn't

So my next step in bigger tires is a level kit. I've been reading for a while tonight trying to find the setup I need. Pretty much have concluded all I need is an Autospring 2" kit. Does that sound right for my 4x4? That should make it level. And if I read right with the 2" front kit, if I wanted some rake to my truck I would need to add a 2" block in the rear.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think this kit ends up making the truck level even though it has some rear blocks in it.

2009-2014 FORD F-150 2.5 Complete Leveling/Lift Kit [AS2501C] - $185.95 : Auto Spring Corporation, Idaho's Largest Inventory of Auto and Truck Springs.

I would like to level and lift my truck just a couple of inches...but I am going to wait until I wear out the stock tires. Not sure I could sell them for much money and I don't want to waste them. Too bad my other old truck has 17" rims.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I think this kit ends up making the truck level even though it has some rear blocks in it.

2009-2014 FORD F-150 2.5 Complete Leveling/Lift Kit [AS2501C] - $185.95 : Auto Spring Corporation, Idaho's Largest Inventory of Auto and Truck Springs.

I would like to level and lift my truck just a couple of inches...but I am going to wait until I wear out the stock tires. Not sure I could sell them for much money and I don't want to waste them. Too bad my other old truck has 17" rims.
What size blocks are in the rear? I've often wondered about what type leveling kit, front & rear, to get, to make one absolutely level, don't really want to have the front higher, etc..

Quick Reply: Need new tires... How big can I go??