Sponsored by:

lift gate question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lift gate question

Finally ordered all my parts for my Ex overhaul. Did the door seal mod on the lift gate (the 3 small strips on the doors) but the big weatherstrip around the entire opening I couldn't do. It's got a steal structure in it which makes it real hard to get anything through it plus it was ripped/dried out.

So I ordered a brand new one.

Now I need one last bit of help regarding the lift gate/tri doors.

They don't close tight. None of them. Even when both doors are closed and the hatch closes down it's still not tight and it rattles when I drive.

The little U shaped piece doesn't look too worn so I'm assuming it's the part that grabs onto those that might be worn? Is it possible to adjust them or lube them or are they just shot? Has anyone had this problem before?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Tuquala
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gate and the door strikers are adjustable, there is a fair amount of movement in them when the torx head screws are loosened. Nothing like the body doors that can't really be adjusted.

Back off the screws enough to be able to move the striker inward, a bit at a time if necc, till the doors and gate are tight enough for you. Usually isn't a whole lot.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I tried that. It's not a slot or anything it's just a hole for the screw and it really didn't have any possible adjustment to it... I'll have to try again later

Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Tuquala
Senior User
They do move, at least on my '03. Try tapping with a hammer after slight loosening.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM
paraskr
Junior User
My advice, wait until you replace your moulding. I got mine from Horizon Ford yesterday, and after the install there no longer was any slop in the doors closure. The new moulding is a bit different, the splash seal extends down both sides almost to the bottom now.

I don't think it was the source of my water leak unfortunately! I am now leaning towards thinking the window seal itself is at fault. I need to learn how to remove the upper metal surround that the third brake light attaches to, to get to the glass surface.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
phnguyk
Senior User
Originally Posted by paraskr
My advice, wait until you replace your moulding. I got mine from Horizon Ford yesterday, and after the install there no longer was any slop in the doors closure. The new moulding is a bit different, the splash seal extends down both sides almost to the bottom now.

I don't think it was the source of my water leak unfortunately! I am now leaning towards thinking the window seal itself is at fault. I need to learn how to remove the upper metal surround that the third brake light attaches to, to get to the glass surface.
You have a part # for the hatch seals?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM
paraskr
Junior User
Rear weather strip

Part # is 2C7Z 78404AO6 AA

List price is $165.75, Horizon Ford internet price is $119.34

It is a single piece that goes around the entire rear opening.