Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F150 rear differential trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
USAF_EOD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truck crazy man
I also have a 95 f150 2wd, but mine is an automatic. none the less very good trucks. i also asked simular questions on here about rear diff and axles, and i got some amazing info and advice. as for your truck, quoting by the experts on this site, you most likely have a 8.8 rear diff. the only thing i'm not sure of is if your truck has limited slip or not. that would be answered by the code on your driver's side door piller info. now i live here in Canada and the winters here are pretty brutal, very hard at times getting aroud with just a 2wd, since the rear diff in my truck is an open one, '' meaning that both wheels turn oppisite of one another. if you don't have a limited slip diff in your truck, maybe this is something to consider when looking for a replacement. with your truck being a manual, you would have quite a bit more advantage getting out of a tough situation. this is also something that i'm concidering on doing once i get my engine repaired. a buddy of mine has the same truck and lives on the same road as i do with a very steep hill, and in the winter where i have a tough time getting up the hill, he just pulls right pass me. it rots me at times, but i realize that he has the ls diff and i see it makes a huge difference. something to think about. good luck. T.C.M.
Thanks y'all, um the limited slip would be the way to go, I hate the "one tire fire"
And the code is a 12 inside the door... Would that mean I'd have to beta. Whole new axle that's limited slip or would I pull the gearing out and replace it? I'm pretty auto savy but I'm not that into gearing... Anyway I'm on base and there is an auto hobby shop where older fellas run the place and they always will lend a hand just bc they love working on vehicles lol so they would probably know how and I know they have those tools...

Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,165 Likes on 920 Posts
The whole new axle path will cost $$$$. Rebuild what you have. Add a limited slip like a factory trac-loc or aftermarket(I would stay away from lockers on a street driven rig). If you have a resource to tap into then go for a gear and carrier swap.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Thumbs up

I agree with rla on that one, if u have a good salvage yard near you that you trust, i would start there. some of these used diffs can be pretty reliable, just keep in mind when looking for one to check the movement of the the gears. meaning that if the back is off the ground and you can safely get acesss to the axles, just turn them a few times to see and listen for the key points to make your of decision. 1 listen for any loud clunks or bangs, and feel for any roughness as you are turning the axle. ( you have better results with the break drums off, that way you won't confuse a drum grinding as grinding in the diff) 2 as your turning the axle, look to see what direction the othe is turning, if you are looking for a LS, then you want both axles to turn in the same direction. 3 if you are still uncertain of the condition of the diff you are after, pull the oil pan off and inspect the gears for any metal chunks or fine metal shavings. this should give you a good idea of what you are getting. also if you find a 8.8 with LS and rather keep your own housing, then just pull everyting out and swap it into yours making sure everything is done to spec. other than that you should be good to go. happy hunting and goodluck. T.C.M.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by USAF_EOD
And the code is a 12 inside the door...
Axle code 12 is 2.73, what do you use this truck for and what are your priorities.. gas milage? Pulling power? Commuting?

IMO 3.55 gears would be a big step up in functionality and wouldn't completely destroy highway fuel milage, and that ratio was very common in V8 trucks and with the factory limited slip, look for axle code H9.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
USAF_EOD
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Axle code 12 is 2.73, what do you use this truck for and what are your priorities.. gas milage? Pulling power? Commuting?

IMO 3.55 gears would be a big step up in functionality and wouldn't completely destroy highway fuel milage, and that ratio was very common in V8 trucks and with the factory limited slip, look for axle code H9.
Brother I'd like to thank you and he'll I'd shake your hand if I could, the rear end is a 2.73 like you said, I went to the junkyard and picked up a 3.55 geared rear-end and I greatly appreciate y'all's help! I'll install it this weekend and I'll definitely be back on here if I have anymore questions, thanks again!