7 blade trailer connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
noplugs4me
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 blade trailer connector

Has anyone used this trailer plug? It is made by hopkins witch is a good name in trailer/towing wiring products. I have 2 busted trailer plugs that I have to replace before mowing season starts up and I am tired of replacing plugs every few years because they crack or just get brittle. -Jason

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM48510.html

Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by noplugs4me
Has anyone used this trailer plug? It is made by hopkins witch is a good name in trailer/towing wiring products. I have 2 busted trailer plugs that I have to replace before mowing season starts up and I am tired of replacing plugs every few years because they crack or just get brittle. -Jason

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM48510.html
Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the link to open.

Steve

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
noplugs4me
Freshman User
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
yeah, that works. I haven't used it or seen it on anything, but if you tearing up the regular ones, that one may be worth a try. Not really much to lose.

Steve

Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
That plug is OK, I have it on two of my trailers. That clip is kind of worthless though. Maybe it is just the high elevation and the ultraviolet that kills a lot of plastics, but they got brittle after a couple of years. I do like the little handle shape, it makes handling the plug a bit easier.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:24 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I gave up on the plastic sockets and plugs, after breaking two of the sockets, and went with these Cole Hersee 7-pin setups.

There's a rubber boot that fits on the back of the socket to protect the wire connections.
The down side is that you can't loan your trailer to people. Or maybe that's a plus.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Rovernut
I gave up on the plastic sockets and plugs, after breaking two of the sockets, and went with these Cole Hersee 7-pin setups.

There's a rubber boot that fits on the back of the socket to protect the wire connections.
The down side is that you can't loan your trailer to people. Or maybe that's a plus.
That is what we always used in the Army. All the knuckleheads and it still worked well.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts

I have this on my F350 /car trailer combo, and have had no issues at all. Although, I have only had it six months so far, so not really a good test.

Jim

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts

there's nothing i hate more than trying to hook up to a truck with that plug!!! without fail, there is a wiring mis-match.

the problem is that there are two standard ways of wiring it. one has the brake wire on the center pin, the other has the B+ on the center pin. and without fail, whatever trailer i'm pulling is wired "the other way".

i'm sure they are durable and all of of that, but the last time i hooked up to one of those, i had to take apart my adapter and swtich the wires (they are made to do that, BTW) because i couldn't pull the trailer very easy with all 8 wheels locked up. The time before that, i blew up my brake controler because i didn't think about disconnecting it before hooking up (PO had something wired wrong in the camper).

the time before that, after messing with it for over a half hour, the only light i could get to work was the left brake light and that was after making making my own "adapter" out of a 4-flat plug and some bullet connectors.

i HATE that stupid plug!!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I stand corrected, just looked at mine today, and it is a 6 pin like that. Not 7.

Jim

Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
there's nothing i hate more than trying to hook up to a truck with that plug!!! without fail, there is a wiring mis-match.
I dunno. I've been using them on my vehicles and trailer for quite a few years (also used the 6-pin version for 10 years or so) and never had a mismatch issue. And I've never broken one like I did with the plastic Hoppy sockets, two in a 12 months.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 PM
noplugs4me
Freshman User
Well I finally got these plugs. I installed one today on the trailer I keep at my house. All I can say is OMG is it a pain the rear to wire up. There is a metal center skeleton that runs down the end for the 2 halves of the plastic handle. You have 7 wires you have to split between both sides of that skeleton. Not super easy when some of those wires are 10ga. When I install the one on the dump trailer this week or weekend I will post some pictures of the guts. Like Chalkie said the clip doesn't look like it will hold up for very long but the plug look likes it will hold up much better than the cheaper plastic one that was on it. -Jason