6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New Owner With Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 PM
PDoyle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner With Questions...

Just traded in my ole 2001 F-250 7.3L with 262,000 miles on it for a 2012 F-250 6.7L with 67,500 miles. The truck is great and Ford has come along way since they made my last one! Just a few questions for y'all. How important is cetane additive in these motors? I purchased an ESP with my truck for 60,000 miles. Will replacing stock intake and exhaust void that warranty? What about a lift kit and tires? Are there any tricks or tips i should know for this motor? Love the forums and am glad to be a new owner!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Welcome to FTE. To tell you the truth I would not bother with a intake unless you are tuning and removing the DPF. Tires and a lift kit would not necessarily void the warranty. Unless the lift kit created the problem.

Speak with your service advisor about it and get a feeling.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Doyle welcome to FTE, if you do a lot of searching & reading on here, all those questions have been answered hundreds of times, enjoy

Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
The diesel supplement says that cetane additives should not be needed. But most additives increase the lubricity of the fuel, and that can protect your expen$ive HPFP in the event you get a bad or untreated batch of fuel. I highly recommend treating your fuel with the additive of your choice. I like Power Service.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
The diesel supplement says that cetane additives should not be needed. But most additives increase the lubricity of the fuel, and that can protect your expen$ive HPFP in the event you get a bad or untreated batch of fuel. I highly recommend treating your fuel with the additive of your choice. I like Power Service.
Tom, what do you mean by "untreated" batch of fuel?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbykjl
Tom, what do you mean by "untreated" batch of fuel?
Unlike the low sulfur diesel of the past ULSD requires additives to meet lubricity standards. This is all supposed to be done before it ever reaches the tanks of your local fuel stop, but it's possible for an untreated batch to reach the consumer. Here's an excerpt from a lubricity study:

Originally Posted by Southwest Research Laboratory
As diesel fuel is further refined to remove the polluting sulfur, it is inadvertently
stripped of its lubricating properties. This vital lubrication is a necessary
component of the diesel fuel as it prevents wear in the fuel delivery system.
Specifically, it lubricates pumps, high pressure pumps and injectors. Traditional
Low sulfur diesel fuel typically contained enough lubricating ability to suffice the
needs of these vital components. ULSD fuel, on the other hand, is considered to
be very “dry” and incapable of lubricating vital fuel delivery components. As a
result, these components are at risk of premature and even catastrophic failure
when ULSD fuel is introduced to the system. As a result, all oil companies
producing ULSD fuel must replace the lost lubricity with additives. All ULSD fuel
purchased at retail fuel stations SHOULD be adequately treated with additives to
replace this lost lubricity. The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel,
as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented
cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often
times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore
contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems. For this reason it may
be prudent to use an after market diesel fuel additive to ENSURE adequate
lubrication of the fuel delivery system.
http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PDoyle
Just traded in my ole 2001 F-250 7.3L with 262,000 miles on it for a 2012 F-250 6.7L with 67,500 miles. The truck is great and Ford has come along way since they made my last one! Just a few questions for y'all. How important is cetane additive in these motors? I purchased an ESP with my truck for 60,000 miles. Will replacing stock intake and exhaust void that warranty? What about a lift kit and tires? Are there any tricks or tips i should know for this motor? Love the forums and am glad to be a new owner!
If you alter the dpf system it more than likely will. Also if you live in an area that requires emission checks you'll more than likely flunk that inspection. More and more dealers are also not accepting emissions modified trucks as trade ins. Do your home work for your area. Also keep in mind that if you should break down you may or may not be in your home area and another dealer could just as easily void your warranty.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Chief901
Junior User
Welcome to FTE 6.7. You can learn a lot about your new truck, and get to a point where you offer new ideas and mods.

It is good to have another Texan onboard.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Thanks for the info Tom! That was great test/article.

Power Service didn't come up so great for such a popular additive in terms of lubricity. But it did improve the sample and of course there are other benefits like the Cetane boost. The testers went by the additive's recommended treatment ratio. I wonder if kicking up the ratio a bit would have got the HFRR down to or below the 520um (pump HFRR). hmmmm

I won't hi-jack the thread. This has probably already been discussed in length...I'll search the forum. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Like he said

Enjoy your (new to you) truck and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Bobbykjl - Are you referring to the old study? The reason I ask is that PS and many of the other companies have altered their formula since that study was done. I was kind hoping someone would do a new study with all the new additives available....

Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dakster
Bobbykjl - Are you referring to the old study? The reason I ask is that PS and many of the other companies have altered their formula since that study was done. I was kind hoping someone would do a new study with all the new additives available....
Sorry Dakster, I just revisited this thread and saw your post.

Yes I was referring to the link mentioned in Tom's post. I did not realize PS has a new formula. I'm with you, I would love to see another test completed (including the Ford additive).

Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dakster
Just saw this on Power Service website...

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is the product of choice during the winter months due to its superior antigel formulation. Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is to be used in the non-winter months for peak engine performance (no antigel component). Both of these products contain the Power Service proprietary Slickdiesel® lubricator that provides maximum lubricity protection to pumps and injectors against wear caused by Low or Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. Slickdiesel ® Lubricator meets the new ASTM HFRR 520 Lubricity Specifications for the United States and the more stringent European Specification of 460 in most fuels.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbykjl
Just saw this on Power Service website...

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is the product of choice during the winter months due to its superior antigel formulation. Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is to be used in the non-winter months for peak engine performance (no antigel component). Both of these products contain the Power Service proprietary Slickdiesel® lubricator that provides maximum lubricity protection to pumps and injectors against wear caused by Low or Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. Slickdiesel ® Lubricator meets the new ASTM HFRR 520 Lubricity Specifications for the United States and the more stringent European Specification of 460 in most fuels.
I now what the manufacturer says about its own product. Wonder how it stacks up the others and what it really does from an independent test stand point.

That doesn't mean I don't use PS. In fact, I have some arctic formula in the garage just in case I decide to drive to the cold.