1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Truck shopping - its confusing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Truck shopping - its confusing

So Im shopping for a better F100/F250 than the one I have. I just don't have the time or energy to take my current truck where I want it. Ive had some health issues the past 18 months and am still a ways from being able to do anything other than minor tasks, so I want to buy a nicer turnkey truck.

Im amused by the ads that I read.

So when did rust become patina?

How many of our trucks have a "rare" 352 big block?

Why do all of the ones for sale have "matching numbers"?

When did a rusted out bed become an "easy fix"?

What does "needs very little to be a show winner" mean?

Why would a guy post "ran great before I pulled the engine"?

Im confused.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 PM
TxStang2010
Tuned
I think you just hit on life's greatest Truckin' Mysteries !

I don't get the "patina" thing either , but then again I don't understand the concept of a "rat rod" . To me those just look unsafe to be on a highway . LOL

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't know what kind of budget you have or just how quick you feel you need to pull the trigger. Knowing what I know today, I would be talking to either of the Bill Wilsons on here or other member in the desert area. There are some solid trucks out there, and where my focus would be.

My 2

John

Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Im trying to get the misses to move. She isn't as adventurous as I am and she is nervous about jobs and a house.

One morning back in 79 I decided that Colorado was getting a bit boring so that afternoon I hopped in the car and moved to California. Never looked back, had no regrets.

I want to move to Tucson, she wants to go but thinks we need jobs first.

We may eat pork-n-beans for a while but she has a PhD and I have a military retirement, Im sure we can find jobs.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123
She isn't as adventurous as I am and she is nervous ... I want to move to Tucson, she wants to go but thinks we need jobs first.
Women have that extra security gene that men lack, as you've found out, lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a look at southern Utah. College here with opportunity to teach and for you, start a small business. Weather is nice. Like myself, and many of my customers are retired military. IMHO.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
We thought about Utah, she attended a LDS church for many years. Taxes are higher than I would like. I have lived in Tucson 3 times, I love it there.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123
We thought about Utah, she attended a LDS church for many years. Taxes are higher than I would like. I have lived in Tucson 3 times, I love it there.
It took me many years to accept AZ as my home after moving from back east. After spending nearly all last summer back east; I realized how much better off we are here. I enjoy driving down to Tucson and visiting Bill W. My son and I often make a day of it. I just can't get over the endless supplies of rust free classics here. Bolts that haven't been turned in 50-60 years come right loose as opposed to the eastern snowbelt. Makes life so much easier.
As far as patina is concerned; I use that term quite often. The AZ sun has a way of fading these old classics to a perfect luster.
Patina reminds me of originality. Folks at the car shows always ask me when I'm going to paint my truck. I tell them I don't plan on it. I just went through the driveline and such to make her dependable while flaunting the old patina.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Patina here means rust, lots of rust.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
saw that ad last week looks nice, I'm surprised its not sold cars are moving fast in Tucson my mom sold two cars this past week

Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
OrangeBeast
Senior User
I actually bought that one yesterday afternoon for less than the asking price. I purchased it for my son to learn to drive on while I complete the engine rebuild in my highboy. Didn't see you guys talking about since I spend my time in the dentside forum...until today.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by OrangeBeast
I actually bought that one yesterday afternoon for less than the asking price. I purchased it for my son to learn to drive on while I complete the engine rebuild in my highboy. Didn't see you guys talking about since I spend my time in the dentside forum...until today.
Congrats! It looked fairly clean. Great way to teach the son.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by TxStang2010
I think you just hit on life's greatest Truckin' Mysteries !

I don't get the "patina" thing either , but then again I don't understand the concept of a "rat rod" . To me those just look unsafe to be on a highway . LOL
One of Websters definitions,,"a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use"

To ME,,, this is "patina", this is "Shrek" my 66 F100, the rust is all surface, brakes, bearings, bushings all NEW, exterior,,,old and worn and sun faded, bumps, dents and dings from use. The whole "rat rod" thing to me is an excuse for SOME to paint a pile'o'crap flat black and try to make it worth something.
I drive my 66 every day, just went to Fresburg and back and got 17.4mpg the other day. He just looks ugly! Mechanically I would drive him anywhere I need to go.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
OrangeBeast
Senior User
Originally Posted by dsrtjeeper
Congrats! It looked fairly clean. Great way to teach the son.
It is for the most part and appears to be in fairly original condition. I haven't had a chance to really go through it yet since it is raining today, but so far I have only found a couple minor issues.

Here is a little better pic of it than the craigslist ad. My highboy decided to photobomb the picture and stick it's head up over the 65.

Quick Reply: Truck shopping - its confusing