Sponsored by: DP Tuner

gauge package

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
onebadv2
Mountain Pass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gauge package

getting ready for some gauges and can't make my mind up. I like the F650 gauge mount that Riffraff sells but wonder about visibility with them mounted that low. The a-pillar mount is better for visibility but I like having a handle there to help this old man get in the cab...hate using steering wheel. Finally, what about the Edge CTS unit? I know it will do lots of things but wonder about the constant changing of the digital gauges and how annoying that might be. I do not know anybody around here who has the Edge unit to let me see it in operation while driving. Any thoughts? By the way, I was going to get pyro, boost and trans temp.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest looking at the Infinity from DP Tuner. It has too many features to list and you can view like 12 different gauges at a time.
Of course you will still need to add a thermocouple for the pyrometer, but trans temp and boost (Manifold Gauge Pressure) are both PIDs that the PCM reads, so they can be shown on the Infinity without any modification. It can also run diagnostic tests such as injector buzz tests, CCTs, KOEO and KOER, etc. I love mine, and wish I wouldn't have done the A pillar as it restricts view quite often.
The only downside is price, but for what you're getting it made sense to me.

INFINITY Touch Screen (Price includes 8g SD card) - Diagnostic Tools - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 417 Likes on 239 Posts
Get a fourth one and get fuel pressure. My drivers side did not come with a handle so it was not an issue. I like gauges as close to direct line of sight as I can get. I find it easier to "keep an eye" on the road so to speak with a pillar mount but maybe that's just me.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 650 mod in mine and absolutely love it. The picture on Riffraff's site with 3 gauges and 3 rocker switches is mine. I like it because it keeps the handle on the a-pillar (I broke my back in 9 spots a few years back and it makes getting in and out easier) and most importantly it keeps the extra lights out of my direct line of sight and keeps my eyes focused out the front windshield. Keeps the eye fatigue down when driving at night. I bought the dimable switch with the ISSPRO EV2 gauges but it it only dims a little before it goes out completely.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4
...it keeps the extra lights out of my direct line of sight and keeps my eyes focused out the front windshield. Keeps the eye fatigue down when driving at night.
There... that right there is why I dread the idea of A-pillar gauges: The backlights burn a hole in your eye sockets while driving at night.

I've had my gauges low on the dash for a couple of years, and I really like it. If you expect to go over 28 PSI with a chip, you'll need a boost gauge or a MAP sensor mod. Barring that, boost is on the OBDII port... and so is the transmission temperature.

My approach? ISSPRO EV2 for a pyro on each manifold, and fuel pressure (in process of swapping Boost for second pyro). These critical items are not on the truck from the factory, but everything else I want is just sitting on the OBDII port, waiting for something to display it. My Buck$Zooka round landed on a 7" tablet for reading the OBDII gauges.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
I don't even notice the pillar at night unless I look at it. The gauges on the pillar are no brighter than the dash so I don't have an issue. JMHO

Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM
goldswim5
Senior User
I have the CTS and like it a lot, but it and the expandable gauges get expensive. I got mine for cyber monday with EGT probe, for the same as I'd pay for a good pyro gauge and trans temp gauge. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it and the EGT. It is nice to be able to monitor all the other readings you wouldn't otherwise pay attention to though, like IPR, ICP, EOT, stuff like that.

If you have a tuner/chip, the boost gauge is worthless. And it doesn't show fuel pressure without an add on sensor that is ridiculously overpriced. I bought a boost gauge, and will probably have to get a fuel pressure gauge as well, I'm not paying what Edge wants for their pressure sensor.

Overall if you can find one on sale or used, go for it. Otherwise I'd probably splurge for the Infinity.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
There... that right there is why I dread the idea of A-pillar gauges: The backlights burn a hole in your eye sockets while driving at night.

I've had my gauges low on the dash for a couple of years, and I really like it. If you expect to go over 28 PSI with a chip, you'll need a boost gauge or a MAP sensor mod. Barring that, boost is on the OBDII port... and so is the transmission temperature.

My approach? ISSPRO EV2 for a pyro on each manifold, and fuel pressure (in process of swapping Boost for second pyro). These critical items are not on the truck from the factory, but everything else I want is just sitting on the OBDII port, waiting for something to display it. My Buck$Zooka round landed on a 7" tablet for reading the OBDII gauges.

8 seconds - YouTube
Hey Rich, Just curious... Could you use a toggle/rocker switch to go from left to right manifold with only using 1 gauge? Does that make sense??? Love the setup!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have gauges but recently i've given stock to installing one for at least my fuel PSI. something simple and straightforward... A-pillar seems more my speed...
i mean, Rich, your set up is cool. its almost too much for me. i'm not ready to give up the middle seat for gauges... but they are pretty neat.
i'm thinking A-pillar would be more my style.
fuel and what else? what would be another good two? i don't have a chip...
EGT? trans temp? boost? oil pressure? *checking the name of the thread so i don't hyjack it* nope, i should be good here...

i just cracked another cold miller lite. cheers!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
The most common three pilar includes EGT, trans temp, and boost and most add a 4th for fuel pressure. Of these four, trans temp is probably the most inaccurate as you are measuring fluid temp in the pan while the sensor for the ODBII reads closer to the motor so the difference can be anywhere from 10-20 degrees. If I could do it all over again and only have three, I would run two EGT's ( one on each side) and fuel pressure.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Hey Rich, Just curious... Could you use a toggle/rocker switch to go from left to right manifold with only using 1 gauge? Does that make sense???
I would want to see both EGTs compared under load, so it's best not to mess with those. The Boost/Fuel is a whole other story. I could toggle that, because I would just need the FP at startup or during troubleshooting. The FP on a 40 PSI max boost gauge could be multiplied by 2.5 to get a real pressure. My plan is to use the OBDII boost. I only need the high limit of the dash boost gauge at WOT, and that's incredibly rare nowadays. The fuel thing... that's something I like to keep an eye on. I could always put a boost switch on a FP gauge, and multiply the reading by 0.4 to get boost.

Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
If I could do it all over again and only have three, I would run two EGT's ( one on each side) and fuel pressure.
It's not too late. I sell the stuff that I change my mind on, a brother gets a reasonable discount on a newish high-quality item, and I get a do-over with minimal penalty. As an example, I have an ISSPRO EV2 Transmission Temp that has somebody's name on it... and I'm still scheming on that FP/Boost thing.

As for selling stuff, I don't even advertise. I just say I'm replacing something and the PMs roll in. FTE is great

Old 02-19-2014, 05:54 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I 10-4 that, makes good sense on the EGT gauges.

Originally Posted by Tugly
I have an ISSPRO EV2 Transmission Temp that has somebody's name on it...
PM has been sent.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Don't forget the AeroForce Interceptor... which offers an OBDII gauge package that fits neatly within the 2 ?/16" gauge pod circles. AeroForce sells a "Dual Interceptor" OBDII gauge system that allows one OBDII connection to feed two gauges that each display two PIDS simultaneously for a total of four readouts that can be toggled to monitor all PIDs (without programming formulas...AeroForce pays the Ford license for proper access to the data).

One can also add two independently sourced sending units (such as multiple Pyros or Fuel pressure) to each Interceptor gauge, or even purchase a third matching gauge to fill out a triple pillar or dash pod with the AeroForce Analogic gauge (non OBDII) that can accept up to four independent sending units. (Dual Interceptors and one Analogic)

Hence, on a triple pillar pod (which allows the sunvisor to flip directly down instead of having to swing it to the side first as is necessary with a 4 pillar pod), one can mount 3 matching digital AeroForce gauges that can simultaneously display 6 readings from 8 discreet and independent sender inputs plus ALL (dozens and dozens) of the Ford factory PIDs available through the OBDII port.

THAT would be a tidy gauge package, made in the USA (according to AeroForce)!

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with AeroForce, and have never used their products. I personally run the Ford/Hickok/Rotunda New Generation Star tester. It reads everything available through the data port without any limitation or risk whatsoever, as it is the factory scan tool with all software designed by Ford.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I was going to ask about the AeroForce. I found them last weekand started searching for them. Clay had posted he sold them, but I can't find them on his site anywhere.

I didn't know anyone who ran them, but three AeroForce in the lower gauge pod, would give some nice data.

Of course one AeroForce (Non-OBDII) pulling Pyro and fuel pressure mixed with my Torque could be just fine too.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,755 Posts
The key for me would be reliability. I have no tolerance for hiccups. My android phone will hiccup just being a phone. I've read enough reports of Torque App hiccups to know that I am not risk tolerant enough, as much as I like the idea of a "liquid" gauge set up.

AeroForce Interceptors have been on the market for almost a decade now, so they would appear to be "mature". They also fit within traditional gauge pod holes, which are also standardized and mature. Take any pick... triple pillar, triple under dash, triple top of dash, triple above mirror, or double instrument cluster... these little guys fit right in.

For every 2+" circular facing, you get 2 displays of data. 3 circles, 6 simultaneous displays of data... and unlike analog gauges, the data can be changed at the push of a button to any number of different PIDs or independently wired sensors.

The questions I have are how the displays are illuminated... most pics show them in blue, but they are available in green, which is good. What is not quite yet clear to me is if they are AUTOMATICALLY switched to nighttime reading mode with the headlight switch in the on position, of if they have to be manually switched each time. Because that would get old... switching 3 gauges back and forth.

I think the difference between daytime and nighttime illumination is inverse/reverse video between the digits and the background, but I'm not sure. I've been looking for more users of Aeroforce in the 99-03 PSD community also, to get their real world impressions.

I have the old traditional boost/pyro/trans analog triple pillar set up that has endured for the last 14 years, that I'm now looking to replace with pyro left and pryo right pre turbo, pyro post turbo (since I already have the probe in my 3.5" DP), and fuel pressure. I'm also thinking about fuel vacuum between the pump and a pre pump filter, and rear end temperature. None of this data is available through the data port.

I'm considering the Performax series also, but that would require more gauge pods to display the 5 additional data points of interest. The advantages of the Performax though are the analog look and readability at a glance... where the "normal" operation can be scanned by all needles pointing between 11 and 1 oclock. Also, the Performax has logging functions. In this manner, the rate change of pyro temps and fuel pressure can be indexed with a simultaneously recorded log of my NGS.

However, a triple circle AeroForce Dual Interceptor with a third Analogic would obviate the need to have the NGS in cab, and auto switch on and off without unplugging. No data logging, but then again, gauges are intended to monitor in real time, so that the driver can decrease load or make plans to pull over accordingly. Diagnostics data logging is not always necessary or even helpful when simply monitoring parameters when towing up a steep mountain.

So yes, finding a gauge package is definitely interesting. The Torque App is very slick looking, but being that it is best displayed on a 7" or larger tablet rather than a dinky little phone that might be needed for other tasks like talking (via bluetooth of course), there is the concern that the truck might get broken into for the slick looking tablet. It means that the tablet must be set up and broken down everytime one enters and exits the truck, to avoid leaving the temptation in plain sight.

My NGS is such a singular purposed object as to be incomprehensible to most young thieves who would not even recognize what it is, much less what it is used for. It has no value to them. But the multipurpose use of a tablet is universally recognizable, and thus has more value to a thief as the market for it's immediate disposition is much broader based.

Still, built in gauges in circular pods represent even LESS of an attraction to thieves. I've witnessed a team of smash and grab car burglars swipe the old style GPS monitors suction cupped to windshields in a large city once. It was quite slick how they worked... in teams of 2 to 3 guys. The first guy would walk by the car, see the suction cup (whether the GPS was mounted or not), smash the side window, and KEEP walking. Never even stopped. The second guy would follow, and clear the smashed glass enough to open the door, then HE would keep walking. The third guy would then walk up, get in the car, root it, and get out with the electronic devices found in the center console or wherever. It was amazing to witness this all happen within 60 seconds. Yes I called the cops, but I had to get to phone first, because I didn't have a phone on me at the time.

Gauges built into gauge pods are not as portable or as appealing as CTS Edge monitors and Infinities that look just like GPS units. And they are far less inviting to a smash and grab than a tablet, or even an NGS. So there is some appeal for staying with a traditional type gauge package... with a high tech OBDII enabled twist.

Quick Reply: gauge package