1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Emissions-air pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM
PPatty1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions-air pump

Good evening everyone!
I own a 1983 Ford F150 4x4 with the 300 straight six and 4 on the floor with the granny first gear. I named her Peppermint Patty because she is one tough chick! She won't win the Indy 500, but if you need to yank a stump out of the ground, she's your man! ha ha! She is a beautiful two-tone blue truck (ignore the rusty hood and roof and the typical rust holes over the rear wheels). Anyway, to get to the point, the air pump has been seized up for some time and I am planning on replacing it this weekend. The rubber 90 degree tube that comes out the back of it appears to connect to something in-between that and the rubber hose coming out of the engine block. Whatever was supposed to be there is long gone. Is a diverter of some sort supposed to go there? I got her in the summer of 2012 with 84,000 original miles on it. The previous owner kept a detailed log of her service records as he bought her brand new so I have 30 years of mechanical history on her. My records are even more detailed that I keep. Anyway, does anyone know what that part might be? I bought a Chilton shop manual, and I have to say, it has turned out to be pretty useless on a number of occasions. I haven't researching finding a vintage shop manual for her yet. Is there anything out there besides Ebay for that?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I think you're talking about the diverter valve, it sends air to the atmosphere under certain conditions (that I forget). Hopefully one of the other guys knows more..

Just search google for "used factory shop manuals" and you'll find a variety of places that sell 'em, one that I've used before is:

Welcome to Lloyd's Automobile Literature

Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Brnfree
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Factory manuals are the way to go. I think the air pump is covered in the emissions manual. I'll need to check.

I just deleted my air pump. It was bad, I don't have emissions testing here and it's not my daily driver. I got rid of the computer (mine is an 85) and converted the EVAP and EGR to vacuum control (like it probably is on yours).

I'm not sure how the AIR pump is managed without a computer since mine was controlled by the computer and a bunch of solenoids. I do know there were various check valves inline as well.

Not much help I'm afraid..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Looking at the vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support (if it's still there) should not only show how vacuum controls your missing diverter valve, but should show the calibration code.

With the right information you should be able to source the proper valve and have your A.I.R. system functioning properly.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM
PPatty1
New User
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your advice on the air pump and diverter. I ordered the shop manual from Lloyd's this morning.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Just remember. There are, as I recall, 5 separate manuals. Pretty sure the one you need will be the emissions / diagnostic. The CD version has all 5 for about $30

Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 AM
PPatty1
New User
Unhappy 300 inline 6 engine still running rough...

Good morning everyone! I went through the emissions system last summer based on your recommendations. I put in the new air pump, EGR valve, tune up, had the carburetor professionally rebuilt, added a second in line fuel filter to keep any junk from the gas tank from getting into it, added Stabil to the gas tank, etc. She ran great until the end of August when I drove her up to South Dakota. I was just south of Kansas City when she started to run rough. When I got up there, I changed the fuel filters again and it didn't help. I am not totally certain, but I thought I heard a noise in the motor that sounded like a "crack" just before it started to act up. She made the rest of the trip alright. I of course immediately stopped and checked for fluid leaks, or a rod poking through the engine block. Nothing. Ever since I got home, I have been trying to diagnose the issue. I changed the filters again and cleaned out the carburetor barrel again (its a single barrel carb on the 300 inline 6 engine). When I start it up, if I have the hood open, I can see the engine wobbling. I checked the motor mounts and they are solid as a rock. She seems to run ok when I drive her until I shift into 4th gear. If I accelerate lightly, the whole truck shudders and wobbles. If I press down a bit on the gas pedal, it seems to level out. I thought it might be a vacuum issue? There are only a few identifying numbers on the vacuum modulators for the air intake. I am talking about the small round plastic ones on the vacuum lines, not the larger vacuum module mounted on the air intake. I can also see 3 other small ones about the diameter of a dime on the other vacuum lines. I have had no luck trying to match those by part numbers on any of the auto parts stores online. I am not sure if it is a vacuum issue or if something broke inside the engine causing it to go off balance. Has anyone out there experienced this issue and what was the diagnosis?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:09 AM
PPatty1
New User
I forgot to mention my truck is a 1983 Ford F150, 4WD, inline 300 6 cylinder engine with a single barrel carburetor. Her name is Peppermint Patty as she is one tough chick!