Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ideas for help getting into the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Ideas for help getting into the truck?

Not for me. I'm pretty young and 6'2 or 3", I have no problem jumping right up

I need it more for people who ride with me occasionally who are... Older. And not able to just jump up into it. I hate carrying a step stool with me, but I also really hate the idea of putting a step on the truck. I've been thinking about an external grab handle, but again I don't really like the idea of drilling into the cab to mount that and making another place for rust to form.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking of trying to make some sort of handle that goes on the windshield pillar (like most cars/trucks have nowadays), but I wanted to see if anyone had a better idea first. The truck is lifted 7 inches and lowering it back down isn't an option. I need the suspension clearance for my oil pan and the body lift clearance for my brake booster.

Thanks guys

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Though steep in price why not check out a used set of those power running boards? Ya know kinda like the ones on a Lincoln navigator that open when the door opens and close when the door closes.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two words...

Rope ladder

Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
Though steep in price why not check out a used set of those power running boards? Ya know kinda like the ones on a Lincoln navigator that open when the door opens and close when the door closes.
Yeah, I thought about those too but honestly I just don't think I can afford them. I might be able to find a used set somewhere, but it might also be tough finding some to fit a regular cab.

Originally Posted by 67Camarodude
I have the same dilemma, I'm 6'4 with a 8" lift on my truck so it's no sweat for me to climb in, but my wife is only 5'1. I don't like grab handles and I'm not sure they'd be of much assistance anyway (the wife still needs to get her foot up to sill plate), so I'm probably going to go with hoop steps. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ted-truck.html
Yeah, it's definitely a problem for shorter people. I saw that thread earlier too while I was searching and I like the look of that black step that someone fabbed up, but I still just don't like the idea of putting a step on my truck lol. I wonder if I could make something that could slide out from under the seat sort of like a little ladder. That will still be a pain in the butt for whoever is trying to get in though.

Originally Posted by Mr7.50headsup
Two words...

Rope ladder
Problem solved!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 PM
willmunny79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a stepstool that I keep in the bed of my truck for my wife ...

Old 01-25-2014, 11:29 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on another forum, the gentleman has a step on the passenger door and a bracket on the cab that the step slides on and braces against on his 70. it looks like it might have been a stock item and I have been planning on asking if it was or aftermarket. Pics are about a third of the way down

FordFE.com Gallery: Another FE Powered Veh lives once again . .+.+.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Those steps were a popular after-market item in the '70s and '80s. I don't remember who made them, but the wouldn't be too hard to duplicate if they aren't available anymore.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 AM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive seen steps on the back of the utility beds on some Utility Company trucks with a corrugated, non skid metal step attached to vertical pieces of 3/4", maybe 1" aircraft cable....While obviously if you caught one of these steps on an obstacle you could damage the truck, the cable would allow enough flex that certain impacts might not cause damage.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Then again...a milk crate on a string is pretty classy!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
The slide out when open steps are a great idea, I have seen them years ago. But making one that will not be an off roading hindrance could be a chore. And making them long enough to let the door swing all the way open, where does all the excess go when closing the door??

Grab handle on cab outside way bad idea, hello rust.

I know the low hung tube style nerf bars are maybe a route you do not like, but what about some RBP brand close fit nerf bars? Sort of like rock sliders with a small step? Lots of companies out there and maybe a used cheap set on the Craigslist?

I doubt they make a single step tube for 79, but with a welder anything can be made to work.

As far as a A pillar grab handle how to mount issue...... there are some flush mounted threaded inserts (nutserts/blind threaded inserts) that you could install in there.

Yea I do not like the idea of drilling into my A pillar either, but look at how new vehicles mount their's.

My red 79 project is getting some grab handles on both sides. I have yet to designed on paper, but they are going to fit parallel to the seat back mounted on the cab inside wall and some that go from the A pillar to kick panel.

I will probably end up with some rock slider style tubes and small steps. Might make the ones in the last pic fit?? They were a C-list 50 dollar item for a different truck.

Attached Images     
Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Oops, double tapped it.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Dave145
Posting Guru

I belong to a lot of other forums and I see your type all the time, we call you a "carpet bomber", your sole goal is to build up post count. You post a ton of replies, but very few of them are meaningful, most are just filler, or completely ridiculous altogether. I've watched this forum long enough to see most people just ignore you, you'd be better served if you just posted the good stuff and left the crap at home.
Here we go again.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

I belong to a lot of other forums and I see your type all the time, we call you a "carpet bomber", your sole goal is to build up post count. You post a ton of replies, but very few of them are meaningful, most are just filler, or completely ridiculous altogether. I've watched this forum long enough to see most people just ignore you, you'd be better served if you just posted the good stuff and left the crap at home.

__It's best i don't say what i think of your comment since you are new here .____ Humm , I wonder if this will count as another post count for me ?__

Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Good lord I am being cyber bullied....in the ol days we were just men about it and handled it accordingly..........

Wait for it........................

Bam!

On the race track! Or bumper to bumper and a 10" piece of log chain and some 4 low action. lol

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Good lord I am being cyber bullied....in the ol days we were just men about it and handled it accordingly..........

Wait for it........................

Bam!

On the race track! Or bumper to bumper and a 10" piece of log chain and some 4 low action. lol
Hell if all else fails, the whole "take it out back" logic works great too! But then again your ways are a lot more entertaining...

Quick Reply: Ideas for help getting into the truck?