General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any useful apps worth reccomeding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Any useful apps worth reccomeding?

Anyone know of any useful apps worth recommendation?

I downloaded the "gas buddy" app and it makes it easy to find the closest stations and the best deal.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have avast antivirus, free & seems to work well. Good gps app is nice, lot of them available. Depends what you want to do with them, mostly use mine for elevation. I Use gps test, pretty basic. Have a local news app loaded and weatherbug. You can manually select a location or just let it use the gps. Has forecasts, radar, weather warnings etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've also got the weatherbug app and really like it. Also have something called simply notes that is like a post-it note / task list type app. Also have my daily Calvin and Hobbes fix. Can't do without that.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a level (Bubble) on my phone,,, comes in pretty handy from time to time.

Also have "Scanner Radio" for local police and traffic reports. Just takes a second to get the local feeds wherever you are.

We sell a lot of things online, and meet people every now and then to make the sale,,, PayPal has an app so i can take their credit card right there in the parking lot!!!

If you like to do a lot of comparative shopping,,, "ShopSavvy" allows you to scan a bar code and see who sells the same item and for how much. Comes in real handy at yard sales or rummage stores!!

"Voxer" is pretty cool,,, it's like a recorded walkie-talkie. So, you can listen to it more than once, or when you get a chance.

There are so many these days, it's hard to choose and not clog up your phone!! lol

Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lookout Security & Antivirus - A very good antivirus/antimalware scanner that also offers theft protection (lock phone/geolocation/etc.) and cloud backup of your contacts and whatnot. I use the free version and have been happy with it so far.

Prey Anti Theft - IMO, this is the best anti-theft app out there. Works on phones, laptops, and tablets. You can track and locate a stolen device through geolocation using both GPS and WiFi triangulation; lock the device remotely; trigger an alarm on your phone (it's loud, trust me...) - it does some other stuff (except antivirus/antimalware - it doesn't do that), but you get the idea. And, it's 100% free...

AccuWeather - IMO, the best weather app I've found, so far.

Signal Booster Reloaded - Works fairly well if you're in an area with a weak signal - it basically resets the antennas to try and lock on to a stronger signal. I have to use this on my phone as it has issues with the cell signal sometimes... There's probably a better one out there, but this one works well enough for my needs...

DuckDuckGo - Their mobile search app includes random things picked up from RSS feeds, but DuckDuckGo doesn't track your search activities, like Google does...

Dolphin Zero - A mobile browser that doesn't track your activities and automatically destroys your cookies, history, etc. when it shuts down.

Advanced Task Killer Free - Pretty much does what it says... Works well for freeing up memory on a phone.

TimeClock Free - A basic time clock app I've used on the job to track my hours and whatnot. There might be a better one out there, but this one worked well enough for my needs...

IB Automotive Group - Can't forget this app! It's a great way to view this forum on a 'droid...

Old 01-26-2014, 11:23 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
QuickPic is the best photo manager.

Poweramp is an excellent music manager.

Office Suite Pro is great for document generation/manipulation/ management.

Super Tool Box 10+ has great system management utilities.

My Cars is great for keeping track of the maintenance/expenses on your vehicles.

Color Note is great for reminders.

Dock Clock is simple and effective, especially when travelling.

GSam Battery Monitor gives you specific device power usage details.

Enhanced Email is great to manage multiple email accounts with a single app.

WiFi Analytics is a great WiFi signal strength/ locator app.

SMS Backup and Restore is a great app to save/protect/store your text messages.

US Army Survival Guide cause you never know when you might need it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Good stuff here....All my apps are FREE...I have "My Radar", "Google Maps" (which is like a GPS), "Trapster" (tells you where speed traps and speed/stoplight cameras are), a magnyfing glass, a mirror, a compass and a few games for the quick bordem like waiting in a dr office.
Great thread!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Bump bump...

Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I can give you to dump.
Imageshack app
They are going to start charging if you want to upload images.
You can still have the ones that you have up hosted for free.

Sean :-dring

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Anyone else ?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one on my phone called snipsnap that's very helpful. It's a virtual coupon hunter that let's you use coupons by giving the barcode number for the coupon. You can also take pics of the coupon and upload it with barcode. Has saved me a lot of cash

Old 07-13-2014, 04:28 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I like Quickoffice Pro for document viewing. I got it free, but I think it's a paid app

Cozi is a great way to have shopping lists, calendars, and other related items organized. Best part is, as long as you have a Cozi account, all your family members can log on and view everything. Great way to keep things up to date with your whole family.

Convertr is a comprehensive conversion calculator. Free and simple to use

Fancy Widget Pro (Although I think it's been replaced by something of a similar name) is a very nice home screen widget. Provides time, date, weather, etc in a clean format.

I have use an app called Gentle Alarm for my bedside alarm. Instead of being obnoxiously loud and annoying, it uses softer and quieter sounds designed to bring you slowly out of your sleep. Works great for me. Mine is set with a 20 minute pre-alarm/fade in, so it starts out really quiet 20 minutes before the set time, and slowly gets louder until the alarm time. Also has a really handy clock screen. Can set up different types of alarm shut off. Normal, simple math problem, or a 3 dot pattern that you have to memorize and repeat (which is what I use).

Soundhound is great for identifying songs that you hear but don't know the name of.

-Jameson

Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use 9gag daily for something to kill time lol. And sometimes you get a good laugh too.
Uleysse speedometer app is pretty cool
Snapchat is kinda fun.
Vaulty is a photo hiding app. (For car pics) lol

Im sure there are many more that I use but that is what pops to mind right now

Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
speedometer!

i downloaded a speedometer app, works off satellites i guess. it shows speed, elevation, compass direction, odometers, max and average speeds, gps coordinates, and some other stuff. there are many different ones avalible. i picked this one cuz it was free and looked simple.