1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

e150 coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e150 coil springs

Hey Guys. I'm new to this Forum but I hope to start becoming more active.

I have a '95 E150 5.8 with 186k that I felt was a bit soft in the suspension. After some research, I ordered and installed these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-cc844/overview/

They are the Moog CC844 if the link doesn't work.

Perfect! They went right in no problem. I gained somewhere between 1 and 2 inches in height. The biggest difference, however, is the improvement in ride quality. It actually rides smoother now over bumps than it did before but it leans and tosses around less. I think what was happening before was that it was sagging down onto the bump stops and that's why I seemed to be crashing and banging over every small bump in the road. I just need to fix the Possitive Camber that I gained in the process, but for now I am very happy.

If anyone feels that their e150 could use a little more firmness in the front, I recommend these!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I've also purchased Moog front coils and intend to have them installed when I finally break down and buy a new set of Michelin LTX's for my own E250.

Already replaced nearly every other front end suspension part with new Moog parts. Even the steering box, leaking lower seal, Ford reman'd unit. New Bilstein shocks too---no cheap crap up front for me.

I used Amazon for the Moog parts---best prices I could find AND free shipping too!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
Sweet deal JWA. I got some KYB Monomax shocks on sale, although I didn't feel any difference with those.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
For shocks I'll never again use anything but Bilstein----yes they're that good. Life expectancy, lifetime guarantee, high quality----and a noticeable difference in their performance all contribute to that claim.

I have no experience with anything else but that's okay---finding that one good part means I can concentrate on finding other good parts now!

I've found those as cheap as I can from eShocks.com----depending on your location they can be to you the next day.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you want to REALLY improve the handling of that E150, replace the stock swaybar with a 1-1/4" Addco swaybar. I did the same thing you did, replaced the front coils with the HD set and replaced the front shocks but it wasn't till I changed the swaybar with the Addco that the handling improved. My 96 is a high top Explorer conversion with a 351, it now handles like a GT Stang.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
Hey Baddad

You know, I actually ordered a swaybar kit from HellWig... 1-3/8". But when I opened up the box and looked at all the parts, I didn't like what I saw. It would definitely fit, but it required a whole lot of parts and changes to the front end that I didn't feel would be a good idea, such as brackets with U-bolts and swaybar links and a whole lot of things that deviate from what is really a perfect design.

All of us E-series owners know that the sway bar poking through the control arm set up is about as simple as it gets. It just needs to be thicker.

I'm going to try and see if i can get an Ambulance package sway bar up there (if it fits).

Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Box on Wheels
Hey Baddad

You know, I actually ordered a swaybar kit from HellWig... 1-3/8". But when I opened up the box and looked at all the parts, I didn't like what I saw. It would definitely fit, but it required a whole lot of parts and changes to the front end that I didn't feel would be a good idea, such as brackets with U-bolts and swaybar links and a whole lot of things that deviate from what is really a perfect design.

All of us E-series owners know that the sway bar poking through the control arm set up is about as simple as it gets. It just needs to be thicker.
Not sure what you consider "a perfect design" but the thru-the-I Beam is NOTHING even close to perfect---in fact as far as Ford produces it its abysmal. While a few stop gap fixes can be applied such as urethane bushings most anything that will fit the stock installation is woefully inadequate.

There aren't any changes to anything using Hellwig although I guess they do use a few parts not usually found on an E-Series chassis. Being a one time installation that's hardly a huge drawback.

Naturally I use Hellwig both front and rear, having purchased those over Addco's versions after talking with Hellwig engineers. I like that they DON'T rely on bushings through the I Beam in order to be functional and remain so over time.

In some cases simple isn't always better--this is a prime example of that. OTOH Hellwig's installation isn't tough to accomplish at all---I've done it twice all by myself.

The ambulance package might be a good idea assuming its compatible with the E350 and lower rating---if we're talking something from an E450/550 thous would be completely different.

Increasing the front sway bar's effectiveness is important if handling is our concern. So is adding the rear sway bar--another huge improvement IMHO.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Baddad

I'm going to try and see if i can get an Ambulance package sway bar up there (if it fits).
The "simple" poking thru the axle is part of why these vans don't handle. There's a huge amount of slop in that design. The second part is the brackets that hang down 4" (or more, I didn't measure it) allowing too much leverage and flex in the bracket with the factory bar. Yes, the aftermarket installation method is more complicated (I had to modify the Addco end link method to make it work) but it results in a far tighter bar and far tighter handling. And for it being a good idea to deviate from the factory install ? The end result (vastly improved handling) speaks for itself.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by baddad457
And for it being a good idea to deviate from the factory install ? The end result (vastly improved handling) speaks for itself.
Hear, Hear my good fellow lover of aftermarket sway bars---VERY well said!

Even though we have different brands the improvements we've noticed do speak loudly to the wisdom thereof.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
Alright folks, I'll give the Hellwig system a shot since it's just sitting there taking up space anyways. The coil springs and shocks improved my ride so much that I have seemingly no body roll any more in comparison as it is (IN COMPARISON is to be emphasized here), but we'll see what happens. I'll surely repost the results. That 1-3/8" bar is a gnarly beast.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Alright folks, I'll give the Hellwig system a shot since it's just sitting there taking up space anyways. The coil springs and shocks improved my ride so much that I have seemingly no body roll any more in comparison as it is (IN COMPARISON is to be emphasized here), but we'll see what happens. I'll surely repost the results. That 1-3/8" bar is a gnarly beast.
So we "convinced" you did we?

You'll be pleasantly surprised what an effective front bar gives you. If the budget allows look into a rear bar too----that's quite a huge improvement IMHO.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
JWA, could you give me a suggestion for a rear bar and where to find it?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
JWA, could you give me a suggestion for a rear bar and where to find it?
I used the Hellwig and purchased it from an outfit called Never Enough Auto: Never Enough Auto Call us 877.609.6727 Aftermarket Automotive Parts Keep in mind most Hellwig bars are drop shipped from Hellwig since they don't sell direct to customers.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
Thanks; I'll check that out.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Box on Wheels
Freshman User
So I installed the Hellwig system in the front today. After replacing the rear leaf springs while salt and slush dripped all over me, the sway bar was simple in comparison. I still think the universal nature of the system is about as cheeseball as something could possibly be, it seems to work, but I won't really know for sure until I can get on some paved roads. The nuts and ubolts are definately a lower grade metal than what I just put in my rear leaf spring brackets, but then again, thats a lot more critical lol.

Im curious as to where you found a factory style 1-3/8" bar to make the comparison to in performance. Regardless, I went in to get my camber angle fixed (due to the original topic of this thread) and learned that all 4 of my original 20-year old ball joints need to be replaced. THAT will definetely be an improvement.

Quick Reply: e150 coil springs