Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM
New User

grayse is starting off with a positive reputation.
56 F100 Build

Good Morning... I am new to the group. But I am not new to being a FORD lover.

At the age of 12 I bought my first F-1, a 1948 Rust bucket, that over the course of 12 years turned into my baby. I have owned 8 Ford cars and trucks over the years. I just retired a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer, that I loved, but can no longer keep on the road due to a check engine lite that will cost over $2000 to fix. I cant justify putting that much money into something that is quickly becoming succumb to rust. The back door fell off last week.

I just recently purchased a 1956 F350 cab, and I have an idea of mounting the 56 truck on the 2001 Mountaineer frame....

Anyone with experience doing such a daunting task is encouraged to respond to this post.

I am also looking for parts for a 56 F100 if anyone is out there that has some... Specifically, doors, grill and fenders..

I appreciate any help you can add...

Scott
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Welcome Scott, there are a few on here that have accomplished a frame swap and many that have attempted the same. It can be done, requires a ton of time and talent or a ton of cash. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on both sides. I hope you have thick skin, this is one of those topics that brings out strong opinions. Good luck with your truck regardless of what you decide to do.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
Scott, welcome to the forum, I will start out by saying frame swaps are no easy task and most times end in failure. Not to say it cant be done, just a lot of work.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Postmaster

WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to fte.
Bill
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Welcome Scott. My advice would be to find a good 56 project truck and start off with a sound platform to build upon. I think that it is our nature to want to take a pile of parts that we have in hand and make something of it...unfortunately many times it turns out to be an exercise in futility. Buying a truck a piece at a time can also get very pricey.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
New User

grayse is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have already had a few people tell me I am nuts.. But I am up for the challenge. I really want to build this truck as a daily driver. So I am more inclined to use a more modern frame, suspension and drivetrain. I have the talents, not the time, but I need to make time... Here is a sample of what I am capable of. I started this when I was 12 and finished it on my wedding day 12 years later. I am sure that this will be a long process..Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Well, that's certainly a beautiful truck!

I really like the tinted windows also. I'm thinking about doing that with my truck as our summers are quite hot.

Welcome to FTE!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Your early work is great!

If you want to shave time off of the project you need to establish a budget and a plan. One possibility is to go with a new frame from a company like TCI. Expensive, but all new and your vintage body parts would be a bolt-on easily.

On the other hand, the original frames are pretty tough. Consider keeping your frame and installing a new Mustang II independent front suspension (IFS). There are also a lot of options for rear suspension.

Keep up posted on your project!!

Dan
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Please ignore. Sorry

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Welcome Scott

You could also go cheap and install a Crown Vic IFS, Motor 4.6 SOHC (or a DOHC), transmission, and a Ford Mustang/TBird or Mark VIII IRS. Very reliable, disks on all four sides, original frame, less head aches & overdrive to boot.
All works in progress
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks