1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Controls in the Dark?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Mirror Controls in the Dark?

Driving my new to me 2010 Super Duty this morning in the dark and noticed that the mirror controls are not illuminated. Is this normal or are they suppose to have illumination?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
The door controls on my '07 are also not illuminated.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
My window controls are illuminated but not the mirrors. Would have been nice if Ford did those too.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I never noticed before. I mean, it's not like they're hard to find or anything.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC, I think mine are... but it's a 13...

but heck, don't think it's necessary -
they fall right under my fingertips and are pretty easy to figure out

Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I see around here, methinks someone is just grouchy because there's an opportunity for more lights that Ford missed.

Just poking fun.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
From what I see around here, methinks someone is just grouchy because there's an opportunity for more lights that Ford missed.

Just poking fun.
Yeah, I drove the truck to work the other day and have not driven it in the dark since purchasing. I was fumbling around trying to adjust the mirrors. I had to turn on the dome light to see what button controls which option.
Still think they could have been illuminated. Also wish it had a glove box light along with footwell lights.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
I'm totally with you. The cheap mirror switch Ford uses is not illuminated, even on my 2012. In fact, it is the same switch used in my dad's Land Rover LR3 (from when Ford owned them), also not illuminated. This is a ridiculous oversight on an expensive vehicle. Then again, many new vehicles still do not even light up all the power window switches (i.e. Mazda, Subaru). Notice that the truck's power window rear cutoff switch is also not illuminated. Not lighting the glovebox is ridiculous as well.

My last VW, a 2012, had fabulous interior illumination. Mirror switch was lit, rear cutoff switch was not only lit, it changed color when activated. Even the individual map light switches in the roof were lit! And yet there are cars with even better lighting than this, i.e. my parent's older Audi A8, which illuminates even the dashboard HVAC vent louver controls, in the front and the rear. Plus a footwell light in each footwell, a puddle lamp and separate red door ajar lamp in each door, and there is a small ashtray in each rear door armrest...all illuminated with a small red LED. Ford could go way above and beyond what they do, but I guess they don't want to spend the money.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Interior Lighting

Originally Posted by troverman
I'm totally with you. The cheap mirror switch Ford uses is not illuminated, even on my 2012. In fact, it is the same switch used in my dad's Land Rover LR3 (from when Ford owned them), also not illuminated. This is a ridiculous oversight on an expensive vehicle. Then again, many new vehicles still do not even light up all the power window switches (i.e. Mazda, Subaru). Notice that the truck's power window rear cutoff switch is also not illuminated. Not lighting the glovebox is ridiculous as well.

My last VW, a 2012, had fabulous interior illumination. Mirror switch was lit, rear cutoff switch was not only lit, it changed color when activated. Even the individual map light switches in the roof were lit! And yet there are cars with even better lighting than this, i.e. my parent's older Audi A8, which illuminates even the dashboard HVAC vent louver controls, in the front and the rear. Plus a footwell light in each footwell, a puddle lamp and separate red door ajar lamp in each door, and there is a small ashtray in each rear door armrest...all illuminated with a small red LED. Ford could go way above and beyond what they do, but I guess they don't want to spend the money.
Yeah I think they could use some human engineering help in the cabin design given the price we pay but I still love the truck so very much.

My Ridgeline has a small amber light in the overhead unit which shines down onto the center console so you see the shifter, the cupholders, etc without feeling around in the dark.<o></o

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldakerw
My Ridgeline has a small amber light in the overhead unit which shines down onto the center console so you see the shifter, the cupholders, etc without feeling around in the dark.<o></o

My GTI had two red LED's in the roof for this same purpose, my folk's 2005 Land Rover has a single white LED, and they also have a 2002 Mercedes E-Class with one in the roof as well (and the interior door handles have hidden LED lighting behind them, very classy at night. Ford could have easily done something like this. But you are right, I still really like the truck.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It really doesnt seem like that big of a deal, id rather have bed lights or something cool before a lighted mirror switch

Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
It really doesnt seem like that big of a deal, id rather have bed lights or something cool before a lighted mirror switch
Yup. If the truck is new to somebody I could see fumbling but I find the power mirror switch to be pretty self explanatory by feel.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
My Mom's new Mini has lights all over the place and
they even can cycle the color or lock on one.
My 2006 F350 had lights in the window and door switches
but not the mirror control. Also I think I have an LED out in the
headlamp control. It's dark all the time.

Sean

Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Its not a big deal, but having more switchgear illuminated contributes to a more premium vehicle feel. Ford doesn't do too bad, but it could certainly do better. I realize the expensive price of these vehicles is due to their heavy-duty capabilities, but a few more pennies of LEDs or other lights wouldn't have hurt profits much.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Its not a big deal, but having more switchgear illuminated contributes to a more premium vehicle feel. Ford doesn't do too bad, but it could certainly do better. I realize the expensive price of these vehicles is due to their heavy-duty capabilities, but a few more pennies of LEDs or other lights wouldn't have hurt profits much.
All it would do is increase the cost of the vehicle. Nobody is going to give that away.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Mirror Controls in the Dark?