1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F1 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks great! Congrats on finding the child that was put up for adoption. Wish I could as well... Looking forward to see more of it!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
slocop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear fender studs

A few cut knuckles and a can of creep oil later dis assembly is going well. The drivers side rear fender came off without a hitch... however, all but one stud broke on the passenger side. Anyone know how to replace these studs? Where to get replacements?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the FTE family. I may be wrong, but I think Ford changed the bed from metal over wood to wood with metal dividers in mid 50. Mine's a early 50 and I have run into a couple changes between mine and late 50's. Somebody please correct me if Im incorrect on that one, so Ill quit saying it when the subject comes up. Anyway love your truck and the history behind it.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the change from metal over wood to just wood happened when the bed-sides went from stamped recesses to flat sides, which happened mid 1950.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I think the change from metal over wood to just wood happened when the bed-sides went from stamped recesses to flat sides, which happened mid 1950.
That's was I was thinking, my early 50 does have the resesses in the bed sides. Thanks havi.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
slocop
New User
Thanks for the info. I always assumed that all the early models were wood. Guess that's whatI get for assuming.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Originally Posted by slocop
A few cut knuckles and a can of creep oil later dis assembly is going well. The drivers side rear fender came off without a hitch... however, all but one stud broke on the passenger side. Anyone know how to replace these studs? Where to get replacements?

The broken pieces will come out with an air chisel placed under a corner and carefully removing it. They are held in with (I think) three spot welds each. Don't know about replacements as I used stainless button head screws.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice truck, if the one I am building now were as complete as that I wouldnt paint it either. Next one I do will be left with the original worn paint and another FI build as well. I agree with wanting the FI, it just works so well. The one I am doing now is a chevy FI but the guys here have been more than nice considering I am building a half breed, lots of support and good info. Good luck with the build, looks like a great start.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
slocop
New User
Donor Truck

So a neighbor of my Dads has a 2004 SSR parked in his garage with 14,000 original miles. Well, our great governor Brown decides to let a bunch of people out of prison early to ease crowding. One of these parolees decides he needs this SSR more than its current owner so he takes it. Everything is going well until he speeds thru a little town about 80 miles from where he stole it. The truck has not even been reported stolen yet but the parolee panics and decides to have an old west style gunfight....which he promptly looses due to lack of practice. The police shot the bad guy in the arm but they also shot the truck a few times for good measure. Unfortunately the shot to the parolee was not lethal which allowed him to flee the scene.. seems he didn't like getting shot. Now he is bleeding all over the steering wheel making it mighty slippery... this resulting in him failing to negotiate a curve and striking a freeway onramp barrier. He is now back in an overcrowded prison.

Back to the truck... insurance says totaled. Drivetrain is good. Our new donor truck. I know, I know. Its not a Ford! How could I? All I can say is it was just meant to be.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Wow. That car took some incoming fire. That whole three strikes thing sounded like a good idea until the prison bill came due.

You earlier had a question about the fender mounting bolts. They are sold by MACs and others as hardware kits.

With such an original truck with a great story, I would really pause to decide on the powertrain. I understand the convenience and maybe the cost. Guess I'm just too simple a purist. It is your truck and your call in the end.

DW

Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
slocop
New User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Wow. That car took some incoming fire. That whole three strikes thing sounded like a good idea until the prison bill came due.

You earlier had a question about the fender mounting bolts. They are sold by MACs and others as hardware kits.

With such an original truck with a great story, I would really pause to decide on the powertrain. I understand the convenience and maybe the cost. Guess I'm just too simple a purist. It is your truck and your call in the end.

DW
Thanks for the info. If the truck has the original flathead I would be all over keeping it real. Our goal here is to make a truck that we can drive.. and drive comfortably. I would rather put more work up front and have an end product that is trouble free and fun to drive. Which leads me to my IFS delima...

Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I sometimes wonder if it would be a great idea to have the IFS and I don't mind the strait axle... If I was racing it around or had to have power steering I might give it more thought... I like driving my truck and HOA won't let me tear apart my truck in my driveway so I have to wait until I win the lottery to buy my shop.... A must to me was the disk front brakes...

Old 01-29-2014, 08:31 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by slocop
Well, our great governor Brown decides to let a bunch of people out of prison early to ease crowding. One of these parolees decides he needs this SSR more than its current owner so he takes it.

Originally Posted by FortyNiner
That whole three strikes thing sounded like a good idea until the prison bill came due.
I've got a little different idea for easing overcrowding in prisons without letting all the bad guys loose. I have no use for thieves, rapists and murderers. If you can't be a respectful and productive member of society, you don't get to waste perfectly good air. Three chances is plenty. But I digress....

Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 PM
slocop
New User
front and rear axle and springs

My 49 is down the the frame and in the mock up stage. I have an 86 Jag IFS as well as a newer Chevrolet axle with .373s. If anyone is interested in the front and rear axle and/or springs make me an offer. I live in Cali on the central coast. I am also in cahoots with a auto scraper who ships parts all over the USA so let me know where you live and I can get a quote.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
That SSR has a great story and the bullet holes to prove it. It should be parked in an old barn for for 30 years or so, when it could be appreciated for it's own character.
If you do decide to use it for a donor powertrain though, you should keep all the documentation of the gunfight and photos of the SSR along with your finished F1. It's a great story and even bashers should understand destiny!
That's a great looking F1, BTW. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.