1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:43 AM
tomrflorida
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash

I am looking at my dash and do not know what to do. I have a 49 F1 and want to put a new type radio in it. I want to put in one that has a large view screen so I can have a back up camera, blue tooth, DVD, HD radio, Sirius radio and connect my IPad. I am think of cutting the dash where the stock radio & speaker go and welding a patch in and mounting it there. Would you please post pics of what you have done to your dash? Thanks

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
I spent many hours repairing the p/o damage from a lousy modern stereo install, along with 4 chain drilled gauges, and installed a modern unit in the glovebox. Have you considered a sun visor screen to enable you to keep your install more flexible yet functional with minimal impact?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 AM
oscajo
Senior User
Dash

Make yourself a console!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't cut the dash! Put it in the glove box or make a console under the dash.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Agreed! Don't cut up the stock dash! In the life time of our trucks, radios have changed significantly. Our trucks have seen am tube radios to touch screens. Since your truck has survived this long it will likely survive into the next type of sound system technology. Do you want to undo the mods you make today to install the next tech break through? My advice is to build a console, or make it a flip down from the roof. The next owner (there will be a next owner. We're just caretakers of these old trucks) will appreciate your forethought.
I read an article recently about the state of electronics in our vehicles. The author stated that in restoring his old VW bug, all the mechanical work was easy. The hardest task he had was finding someone who could fix the stock AM radio.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
wallster
Elder User
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here.
From what I've read, you have an '86 5.0 engine, aftermarket gauges, etc... In other words the truck isn't a stock truck anymore. Cutting the dash is no different than changing your suspension, engine, transmission, electrical system, or brakes. Since you own it and you want something reliable with all the comforts of a current vehicle, cut the dash and install whatever you want. There are many examples of well done stereo installations all over FTE and the net. Do some searching and have a good plan before you go for the install.

Wally

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get the proper tools in order;
1st, you'll need several old church keys (Google it if you don't know what they are)
2nd, you'll need a variety of rusty old tin snips (the rustier and duller, the better)
3rd, at least one BFH (Big F**king Hammer)
4th, several old rusty dull chisels
5th, a smoke wrench (oxy-acetylene torch)
6th (optional) a rusty dull wood chisel with a blunt rounded blade from years of being abused by being used on steel, etc.

Now, just pic a spot that you like and start hacking away. You'll have a hole opened up lickety-split. Grab a roll of plumber's tape and some bailing wire and the new radio will be blaring out tunes in no time.

OK, seriously now. I'm not a big fan of the modern radio faceplates in the dashes of older vehicles, somehow they just look out of place. In the glovebox, in a console (either between the seats or overhead) maybe and underdash panel or something like that could work.

Here's what a prior owner did to mine using the above method;

Here's what I did to cover the hole. I don't have a radio yet...truck is too noisy to hear it anyway...LOL

Bobby

Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wallster
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here.
From what I've read, you have an '86 5.0 engine, aftermarket gauges, etc... In other words the truck isn't a stock truck anymore. Cutting the dash is no different than changing your suspension, engine, transmission, electrical system, or brakes. Since you own it and you want something reliable with all the comforts of a current vehicle, cut the dash and install whatever you want. There are many examples of well done stereo installations all over FTE and the net. Do some searching and have a good plan before you go for the install.

Wally
Those type of mods could easily be corrected, unlike the dash. It's hard to find just the dash or the patch pieces separately. Plus, the dash is an integral part of the cab that cannot be replaced without skilled surgery. I still say DON'T CUT THE DASH!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
What about building a flip down bracket, hidden under the dash when not in use and flips down and out when in use. Maybe making a radio inside an old tissue dispenser and bolting that to the underside of the dash. Just a few ideas......

Old 01-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Do like we did in the old days, install under the dash like we did with our 8 track tape machines. The screw holes under the dash will be out of site. I wouldn't be surprised if the holes are already there to match up to. Other than that, I'm considering an overhead consul. You can stick a lot of junk up there.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
...Since your truck has survived this long it will likely survive into the next type of sound system technology. Do you want to undo the mods you make today to install the next tech break through? ....
Exactly what was done to my truck! Someone cut a H-U-G-E slot for a Latest-Technology all-transistor 1963 Plymouth AM radio. About 9" wide x 4" tall. Of course he forgot it was 12v, too, but that's besides the point. To return it to stock would be very, very difficult.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Mine was already hacked by a PO, so I just patched it as best I could and put a stereo in it.

I did the under dash mount on a Che*y I had, and it was inconvenient to use, but did preserve the uncut dash.

I say do what you want, as it is your truck. Here are a couple of pics of mine. It doesn't blend very well with the old truck, but is usable.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I would think the hole for the speaker would be large enough to fit a modern radio without cutting. I could be wrong, I'm not up on the latest and greatest systems, but it seems everything today is smaller and keeps getting smaller.

The coolest radio mount I've ever seen, I've posted this numerous times, is a guy had a COE cab on a modern chassis but the truck looked and he had a modern sound system hidden behind the stock speaker grill. The grill was mounted on a piece of sheet metal, hinged at the bottom with a spring loaded key chain mounted behind the dash that would pull the grill back in place.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
Do like we did in the old days, install under the dash like we did with our 8 track tape machines. The screw holes under the dash will be out of site. I wouldn't be surprised if the holes are already there to match up to. Other than that, I'm considering an overhead consul. You can stick a lot of junk up there.
8 Track players . My goodness but we're dating ourselves aren't we

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
CDs? Man we're dating ourselves.

Quick Reply: Dash