Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Drivers side Intercooler boot keep popping off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side Intercooler boot keep popping off

OK, like the title says, the drivers side intercooler boot keeps popping off the pipe. The first problem was at the intercooler, bought some riffraff intercooler boots and now the top by the Y pipe keeps popping off. The boots at the y connection are new and so are the hose clamps that are holding them on. Here is a couple of things I did to it recently,
1. new wicked wheel
2. new boots
3.new clamps
4. rebuilt pedestal
5. riffraff oil crossover line
6. 4" turbo back exhaust
7. B&S intake
Would any of this cause the pressure to keep blowing the boot off? Seems to only happen on the drivers side.

Thanks for the help,
Crazyotto1

Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Did you use the correct "spring" clamps on the hot side. Just asking

Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Down in the South we use pine-tar from a long needle Pine tree. Heat it up and brush alittle on a very clean surface, let cool. I seen hair spray used also.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
T-bolt clamps are not the same as big hose clamps. I hope you got the T-bolt clamps with the springs on all driver-side boots (including the intercooler) - as mentioned by hydro man 17.

Whitey Ford also brings up a good point (I'm not so sure about the pine tar) - prepping the tubes and boots. I have never used anything on mine, and the only time I popped a RRD CAC boot was when I forgot to tighten the clamp. It happened right at 30 PSI boost - that right there is an underwear-squeegee moment. I have pulled the tubes more times than I care to count - I'm due to replace the nylocks from so much wear, but mine never pop. I just clean all the oil from any contact surface before installing, then I use a driver drill with a low torque setting on all the clamps. This allows me to set a consistent and reliable torque on each clamp every time.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Is the pipe popping out of the hose at the spider connection? The factory boots have a small ridge inside to mate with the groove in the IC pipe. Most aftermarket boots do not have this ridge. You can install metal rings in the groove of the pipe to give the hose something to grip against. They can be bought made from stainless, but I fashioned my own from 1/8" mild steel rod from the hardware store. I cut it to a length that allows it to fit snugly into the groove and the hose & clamp keep it there when installed. No more problems with blown boots.
Name:  IC Metal Ring.png
Views: 7059
Size:  23.1 KB Name:  LargePipeRing.gif
Views: 7322
Size:  48.2 KB

Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like something is allowing the boot to lose grip. We are always hearing about how you need to use hairspray, double clamps, one specific clamp type, groove rings etc, but in reality all that is needed is a quality boot and a clean clamping surface, nothing more.

Common issues allowing the boot to grip are the following:

- Painted, polished, or powdercoated tubes
- Oil residue from the ccv fumes
- Over-tightening that causes the tube to egg shape
- Combination of installation errors
- Surface prep and cleaning

We run 35 - 63 psi on a daily basis on our trucks here and all are single clamped, nothing more and never pop a boot. We are happy to help walk you through the issue if needed, just email us or call and we can get you taken care of.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have yet to have an issue with the boot blowing off the IC. But that goes without saying since I'm not making any real boost. But years ago I had a '89 Turbo Coupe and had boots that would leak. Actually back then I was to cheap or too dumb to buy new boots. And since I have always worked on boats I used bellow adhesive and that did the trick!! They never leaked again. I have also used it on a '04 6.0 last summer on a friends truck. It's oil resistant so that becomes a non issue. The down side is once it is on it is on for good !! So it is NOT recommonded if you ever plan on taking it apart. If so plan on new boots! But if you have a nice hose tool you might be able to get them off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Quicksilver-Mercruiser-Alpha-Bravo-bellows-Adhesive-tube-/261244672546?_trksid=p2054897.l4276#ht_143wt_642
So that is what I'll use IF I ever get to the point of having a issue with boots blowing off due to higher boost levels !!

One last thing have you done the ccv modd yet because you might also want to address the issue of oil getting into the IC pipes to begin with.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Clearing anh oil residual oil from mating surfaces is a must. Use a degreaser on a rag. Mine blew off 4 times before I figured it out.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
One last thing have you done the ccv modd yet because you might also want to address the issue of oil getting into the IC pipes to begin with.
Just to share that there are differing opinions on this one: While I have oil fumes in my CAC system, (like all other non-modded trucks), I have had zero issues - not even oil loss. I took a picture of the bottom of my intercooler with an inspection camera at about 260,000 miles:

Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
OK, after reading all your replies I went out to investigate, my conclusion so far is that I had the wrong clamp on that part of the tube. I replaced it with one that gets a little smaller in diameter as the old clamp was all the way tight with both ends touching. I will drive it sometime this week and see if it helps.
Thanks,
Crazyotto1

Old 11-13-2014, 01:29 AM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Update on the hose popping off problem. I know this is an old thread but I want to help anyone that might have the same issue.
My intercooler was installed in front of the AC condencer instead of behind it. It was a used truck and I don't know what the original owner had done. I bought the new boots from Riffraff diesel and they were to short to fit. I then did some looking around and realized that there was a space that it was supposed to go and moved everything around and installed the new clamps and hoses. I have been driving this thing for awhile and no more problems.

Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
This is one of those "Wow - I didn't see that coming" things. The forum is fantastic for helping with troubleshooting unusual problems, but the owner is ultimately the one with eyes, ears, hands, and butt on the truck. We collectively know the truck, and some of us know to watch for certain mods - but a moved IC is way out there.

Good catch, and thanks for reporting back! We all learn when members do this.