Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler boot popped off

Old 08-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Slamdunkpro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler boot popped off

I had the intercooler boot on the passenger side next to the radiator pop off yesterday. An inspection of the boot the clamp and the tube indicate no damage it looks like it just popped off.

Could this just be a case of the rubber connector is worn? (133,000 miles) or or could this be a sign of something more serious? I was towing on the highway but I wasn't under high boost or a heavy load on.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Patriotic Rottweiler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My hot side boot popped off as well the other week, but it was at the turbo. It scared the hell out of me. I wasn't towing or running hard, just cruising down the road.
I put it back on and it popped off again.
Then I totally removed the boot and washed it really good (degreaser) and dried it off and re-installed it. No problems since.
My theory is that a fine layer of oil coated the interior of the boot/turbo and the clamp had loosened up a little and the clamp wasn't in the right spot.
When I re-installed everything I made sure to put the clamp in the right spot and tighten the hell out of it.
So far no more problems.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I have popped some boots here and there. Can certainly scare you if you have never experienced it before. Nice smoke production afterwards, too!

If you don't see anything obviously wrong with the boot, then it is likely the oily mist that your CCV introduces into your intercooler pipes penetrated your stock (?) silicone, inferior boots and caused it to loose its grip on the intercooler connection. You can thoroughly clean the surface of the intercooler connection with some degreaser, then use brake cleaner to remove the degreaser (unless you have plastic intercooler connectors), and then re-attach the boot. It is impossible to get the oil out of the silicone boot, so you will be destined to repeat this episode unless you replace the stock boots (you have stock boots?) with the new material everyone is using now. The new material does not become saturated with oil like the old stock boots do, and they will not pop off unless the clamp is loose.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Slamdunkpro
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
It is impossible to get the oil out of the silicone boot, so you will be destined to repeat this episode unless you replace the stock boots (you have stock boots?) with the new material everyone is using now. The new material does not become saturated with oil like the old stock boots do, and they will not pop off unless the clamp is loose.
I have stock boots. What is this new material that everyone is using now and where can I get some???????

Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

These are the boots:

CAC 6.0L Intercooler Boot Kit for Ford 03-07

This is one place to get them. There are others as well. Shop around for price.

This is the NEW material (from RiffRaff site):
"Our boots consist of 4-ply Aramid reinforced silicone hoses that are specially made for Riffraff Diesel to withstand extreme temperatures to approximately 550 degrees F (vs. standard couplers that are good to 350 degrees F) and tested up to 180 psi working pressure.

100% Made In The USA! Available in Blue, Pink, Red and Black."

Pretty much everyone is now using that 4 ply aramid material mentioned above.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
These are the boots:

CAC 6.0L Intercooler Boot Kit for Ford 03-07

This is one place to get them. There are others as well. Shop around for price.

This is the NEW material (from RiffRaff site):
"Our boots consist of 4-ply Aramid reinforced silicone hoses that are specially made for Riffraff Diesel to withstand extreme temperatures to approximately 550 degrees F (vs. standard couplers that are good to 350 degrees F) and tested up to 180 psi working pressure.

100% Made In The USA! Available in Blue, Pink, Red and Black."

Pretty much everyone is now using that 4 ply aramid material mentioned above.
All of my boots were popping off even after cleaning and the hairspray trick...I got fed up and bought the red RiffRaff kit with clamps and couldn't be happier!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Red tops with red boots... Looks great!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Slamdunkpro
Senior User
Thanks to all for all the advice, I ordered the riffraff parts for all the boots plus the plastic cold side tube today. Any installation tips or things I should know before installing on Wednesday?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
I spoke with a guy from RiffRaff directly last week when I did my boots and he recommended cleaning the intercooler fittings, turbo and intake fittings with brake cleaner then putting boots on and tightening them TIGHT. Their clamps are not constant tension clamps like the OEM Ford ones with the spring between the nut and clamp so you can really tighten them on the turbo, pipes and intake but don't overtighten the ones on the intercooler inlet and outlet if you still have the stock plastic intercooler.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:35 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Riff Raff also sells intake plenum inserts that strengthen the intake and let you crank down on the clamps as hard as you want - at least, they do for the 7.3L. I have them on mine and I highly recommend them! I don't know much about no 6.0 though .

Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by andym
Riff Raff also sells intake plenum inserts that strengthen the intake and let you crank down on the clamps as hard as you want - at least, they do for the 7.3L. I have them on mine and I highly recommend them! I don't know much about no 6.0 though .
Never saw those, good to know...

Old 08-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Never saw those, good to know...
RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts - Ford 7.3L 99.5-03

Stewart

Old 08-22-2017, 04:25 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
good stuff. Installed over the weekend. get tbolt clamps too my hose clamps were bent and coming apart from being over tightened.

edit oops just realized OP is a 6.0 no clue about them....

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
edit oops just realized OP is a 6.0 no clue about them....
Oops x2.

Stewart

Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I've been running a combination of Dieselsite and Riffraff boots for the last 8 years or so and have only had one pop off (earlier this year). I checked the tension on all my other boots during the repair (60 in-lbs) and several were loose. I seem to be taking the CAC tubes off at least once or twice a year so never really thought about checking their tension. After my scare on the freeway this past spring I check them every 1-2 oil changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intercooler boot popped off