Craigslist Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craigslist Fraud

Hello to all Missourians!

I cannot believe the fraud that occurs on Craigslist. I am selling non-automotive items.

The bank will cash their cashier's check because they know you. Only an idiot or crook would send you a cashier's check for $2,000 more than the item is worth.

Then within a few days the bank calls you stating that the check is not valid. Then the recipient, me, has to pay the bank back with your own personal funds.

In the last 4 days I was intentionally overpaid by hundreds of dollars and I am supposed to give the money to their "movers". I wonder what they are moving?

I spoke with both the FBI and Boonville Police and they both said that it is definitely fraud so I mailed the check back.

"If it sounds too good to be true......."

Take care and do not get spoofed!

Boon

Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Ancient old scam. After a while, you can tell by the first message to you which ones are the scam artists. Sad but true, you get used to it. Glad you didn't get got. I almost got caught up in one like that years ago. I was lucky. .....now I'm older and wiser.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
That the ol Nigerian I will pay more to cover the bla bla , my shipper will come pick it up, here is a cashiers check, cash it in YOUR bank and then pay me the rest out of you back.

Dang glad you did not get all caught up in the business.

FTE members out there with parents that are "elderly" (and family members that are not up with current scam events) keep and eye on their expenses. So they do not get ought up in all kinds of scams.

Time share BS and the ol "this is you bank calling I think your acct is hacked I need to verify that you acct is in good standing and secure. So over phone give me your name, address, acct #, and SSC, all kinds of bs. Bamn now you have been hacked.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Thanks Guys!

Hello Boys and how are you both?

Thanks for your support.

The irony is that I list my phone number on the list. However, they text me instead which is a red flare.

I have been had before but if they call then we are at least halfway to a sale.

Take Care and Godspeed!

Boon

Old 12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you didn't get taken, I've known several honest business guys get taken selling used cars. I alwaysv found out after the fact. This happened back in the day when scammers sent you a money order etc for several grand above the asking price. Too goodto be true us just that...too good to be true.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Beware of Craigslist

Originally Posted by BORDERBUM
Glad you didn't get taken, I've known several honest business guys get taken selling used cars. I alwaysv found out after the fact. This happened back in the day when scammers sent you a money order etc for several grand above the asking price. Too goodto be true us just that...too good to be true.
Hello Jeff and how are you doing?

I should have known right off as I put my telephone number in the listing but the 2 that tried to get me texted me. There is a red flare right there!

Thanks for your support!

You take care and stay warm.

Boon

Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
FYI with member out there with parents that are "elderly" keep and one on there expenses they get ought up in all kinds of scams.
Actually my Mom & Dad are pretty suspicious about offers like that so they steer clear of a lot of things. If they don't know, they check with me or my wife. My sister, on the other hand, had to learn the hard way. Her credit has been wrecked for 7 years now because she doesn't have the income to pay back the claims against her or hire a lawyer to clear them all out.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Yes shame on me for not watching my mom's financial affairs a lot closer a few years ago. Damn timeshare jerks and some other folks that say "we will charge you X to sale your timeshare".... and then turn around and charge you thousands up front.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Bankruptcy

Originally Posted by Grems4ever
Actually my Mom & Dad are pretty suspicious about offers like that so they steer clear of a lot of things. If they don't know, they check with me or my wife. My sister, on the other hand, had to learn the hard way. Her credit has been wrecked for 7 years now because she doesn't have the income to pay back the claims against her or hire a lawyer to clear them all out.
Hello and good afternoon.

I was a bad boy back in 2002-3 and ultimately paid off credit cards except 1.
I owed them over 10K and I offered to send them $900 a month but they wanted all or nothing. Because of this I had to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy which was cleared in late 2003. I took the advice of a Paralegal and literally paid for it. I probably could have filed Chapter 11 but I did not so I only have me to blame.

Up until then I had excellent credit and now it is gone. Oh well, I have a feeling that I, in a small way, know what your sister may be going through.

All we can do when we "stub our toe" is get up, dust yourself off, and keep on plugging away! There is always light even in darkness.

Take care and Godspeed!

Boon

Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 PM
boonslick
Elder User
She tried it again.

Originally Posted by boonslick
Hello to all Missourians!

I cannot believe the fraud that occurs on Craigslist. I am selling non-automotive items.

The bank will cash their cashier's check because they know you. Only an idiot or crook would send you a cashier's check for $2,000 more than the item is worth.

Then within a few days the bank calls you stating that the check is not valid. Then the recipient, me, has to pay the bank back with your own personal funds.

In the last 4 days I was intentionally overpaid by hundreds of dollars and I am supposed to give the money to their "movers". I wonder what they are moving?

I spoke with both the FBI and Boonville Police and they both said that it is definitely fraud so I mailed the check back.

"If it sounds too good to be true......."

Take care and do not get spoofed!

Boon
Unbelievably the same woman sent me 3 checks so I e-mailed her informing her if she ever contacted me again I would turn her in to ic3.org; Internet Crimes. Furthermore, I also informed that if I do she may as well prepare for prison.

However, her SPOOF will continue but not with me!

I spoke with the FBI regarding these scams as well.

Boon