Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Freshman User

sam03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1951 F3 Project

Just picked up a 51 f3 truck this past weekend. I saved it from the crusher. It needs lots of love. The cab is in pretty good condition, the bed is gone, the front in was at a buddies house still waiting on that to be dropped off. Motor was in parts and pretty much a boat anchor. 4 speed trans was still in it. Vin plate matched the frame but the guy didn't have the title since it was being crushed....so I have been looking for info on how to track one down or get a replacement without the original. If anyone has played the title game in florida let me know if u have any pointers. The dmv has been completely useless so far. Not sure on the plan other than its a tight budget. Part of me wants to find a flattie and leave it as stock/original as possible and turn it into a shop truck. Also thought abt the wooden flatbed idea. The other parts wants a 302, t5, axle and brake swap. I will get some pics this weekend and post them.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Still a Rookie...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03 View Post
Just picked up a 51 f3 truck this past weekend. I saved it from the crusher. It needs lots of love. The cab is in pretty good condition, the bed is gone, the front in was at a buddies house still waiting on that to be dropped off. Motor was in parts and pretty much a boat anchor. 4 speed trans was still in it. Vin plate matched the frame but the guy didn't have the title since it was being crushed....so I have been looking for info on how to track one down or get a replacement without the original. If anyone has played the title game in florida let me know if u have any pointers. The dmv has been completely useless so far. Not sure on the plan other than its a tight budget. Part of me wants to find a flattie and leave it as stock/original as possible and turn it into a shop truck. Also thought abt the wooden flatbed idea. The other parts wants a 302, t5, axle and brake swap. I will get some pics this weekend and post them.
I'm sure you've heard this advice before, but don't spend a penny on it until you can get the title in your name.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Congratulations on the new truck. I dont know how Florida DMV works but in utah you can apply for a title with what they call "insufficient evidence of ownership" A few other forms and as long as purchase price was under $1000 you dont need to bond. Try to get someone at the dmv that knows how to get what you need.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Freshman User

I took a couple pics this morning before work.

Some serious leaf springs
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I've seen worse! What are the steel straps from the cowl down to the front end? Make friends with your local sandblaster, you'll save a lot of time!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Freshman User

Bed frame rails used to hold the radiator when the owner wanted to drive it with our the front end on the truck...not really sure what he was thinking.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the new truck, as for getting a legal title try this link.....

SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

I would first try to get the original title from previous owners, but it may be long gone......then you have to apply for a new one
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Brent

fbb1951 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tinman52, Thanks for the title requirements link. I have an old trailer without title ('62 Cardinal) I need to register.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Freshman User

Thanks tinman52
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
Thank you for saving her.... And welcome aboard FTE...

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Nice truck but it needs tires.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Elder User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
Sam, thanks for posting the pictures.
Six years ago I had a similar project land in my yard. It's a '51 F2 and was in rough shape. The bed was long gone, the engine was seized and the cab had been trashed by kids, transients and crack addicts. The tires/brakes were junk, and everything was rusted. But I saw it's potential to be a proud work truck once again.
I think I had one advantage over your project though. Maine does not require titles on older vehicles so all I needed to make it legal was a bill of sale.
Over the last six years I have found a replacement flathead-six engine, 8 foot bed, a fairly rust-free cab, as well as four fenders and running boards. Yep, I had to replace everything. The frame was still fairly solid and the three-speed transmission was rebuilt in my cellar. I hope to have the truck done next year. I have some pictures in my profile.
This wasn't my original plan to spend this much time and money on it...but you know how it goes. "might as well replace that too....."
Be prepared to have a hard time locating specific parts for the 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks. Bed and fenders especially. Check your wheels to be sure they aren't widow-makers. (I can't tell from your pictures) Do a search here for 'widowmakers' to help you identify them.
I'd like to see another 1951 F3 put back on the road so I encourage you to go ***** deep into a plan. Start with a title if that is what your state requires.
And keep us posted on your decisions, ask questions here, and above all - enjoy the project. It sure beats a lot of other hobbies cause, well...these old trucks are just plain cool.

Tom
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03 View Post
That will buff right out...

With no more than you have you may want to consider an F3 to F1 conversion since F1 parts are easier to find...

1949 F-1
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Freshman User

I have been working on the title and think i have that figured out. So i started looking for parts around me. I found a "run" chassis 20miles away but when i got there i found out that the guy meant it ran back in the 50s...but ended up bring it home any ways for a couple parts that were missing that i knew i could use on the build and if I'm lucky maybe the engine will not be as bad once i open it up and can be used. If not its a cool piece of history.

pics of the 1952 F1 parts truck

This weekend im going to look at a flathead 6 with 3 speed trans. Suppose to be in great condition and was running when pulled. But you know how that goes i will see how good of bad it is on Saturday. Either way its better than anything else i have found lately from the pics.

here are some pics

Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Freshman User

On the way home with the 226! It was cleaner that it looked. Shouldn't take much to fire it up.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks