1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F3 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM
sam03
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 F3 Project

Just picked up a 51 f3 truck this past weekend. I saved it from the crusher. It needs lots of love. The cab is in pretty good condition, the bed is gone, the front in was at a buddies house still waiting on that to be dropped off. Motor was in parts and pretty much a boat anchor. 4 speed trans was still in it. Vin plate matched the frame but the guy didn't have the title since it was being crushed....so I have been looking for info on how to track one down or get a replacement without the original. If anyone has played the title game in florida let me know if u have any pointers. The dmv has been completely useless so far. Not sure on the plan other than its a tight budget. Part of me wants to find a flattie and leave it as stock/original as possible and turn it into a shop truck. Also thought abt the wooden flatbed idea. The other parts wants a 302, t5, axle and brake swap. I will get some pics this weekend and post them.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sam03
Just picked up a 51 f3 truck this past weekend. I saved it from the crusher. It needs lots of love. The cab is in pretty good condition, the bed is gone, the front in was at a buddies house still waiting on that to be dropped off. Motor was in parts and pretty much a boat anchor. 4 speed trans was still in it. Vin plate matched the frame but the guy didn't have the title since it was being crushed....so I have been looking for info on how to track one down or get a replacement without the original. If anyone has played the title game in florida let me know if u have any pointers. The dmv has been completely useless so far. Not sure on the plan other than its a tight budget. Part of me wants to find a flattie and leave it as stock/original as possible and turn it into a shop truck. Also thought abt the wooden flatbed idea. The other parts wants a 302, t5, axle and brake swap. I will get some pics this weekend and post them.
I'm sure you've heard this advice before, but don't spend a penny on it until you can get the title in your name.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck. I dont know how Florida DMV works but in utah you can apply for a title with what they call "insufficient evidence of ownership" A few other forms and as long as purchase price was under $1000 you dont need to bond. Try to get someone at the dmv that knows how to get what you need.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
sam03
Junior User
I took a couple pics this morning before work.

Some serious leaf springs

Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I've seen worse! What are the steel straps from the cowl down to the front end? Make friends with your local sandblaster, you'll save a lot of time!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM
sam03
Junior User
Bed frame rails used to hold the radiator when the owner wanted to drive it with our the front end on the truck...not really sure what he was thinking.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, as for getting a legal title try this link.....

SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

I would first try to get the original title from previous owners, but it may be long gone......then you have to apply for a new one

Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
Tinman52, Thanks for the title requirements link. I have an old trailer without title ('62 Cardinal) I need to register.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
sam03
Junior User
Thanks tinman52

Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you for saving her.... And welcome aboard FTE...

Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice truck but it needs tires.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Sam, thanks for posting the pictures.
Six years ago I had a similar project land in my yard. It's a '51 F2 and was in rough shape. The bed was long gone, the engine was seized and the cab had been trashed by kids, transients and crack addicts. The tires/brakes were junk, and everything was rusted. But I saw it's potential to be a proud work truck once again.
I think I had one advantage over your project though. Maine does not require titles on older vehicles so all I needed to make it legal was a bill of sale.
Over the last six years I have found a replacement flathead-six engine, 8 foot bed, a fairly rust-free cab, as well as four fenders and running boards. Yep, I had to replace everything. The frame was still fairly solid and the three-speed transmission was rebuilt in my cellar. I hope to have the truck done next year. I have some pictures in my profile.
This wasn't my original plan to spend this much time and money on it...but you know how it goes. "might as well replace that too....."
Be prepared to have a hard time locating specific parts for the 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks. Bed and fenders especially. Check your wheels to be sure they aren't widow-makers. (I can't tell from your pictures) Do a search here for 'widowmakers' to help you identify them.
I'd like to see another 1951 F3 put back on the road so I encourage you to go ***** deep into a plan. Start with a title if that is what your state requires.
And keep us posted on your decisions, ask questions here, and above all - enjoy the project. It sure beats a lot of other hobbies cause, well...these old trucks are just plain cool.

Tom

Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sam03
That will buff right out...

With no more than you have you may want to consider an F3 to F1 conversion since F1 parts are easier to find...

Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
sam03
Junior User
I have been working on the title and think i have that figured out. So i started looking for parts around me. I found a "run" chassis 20miles away but when i got there i found out that the guy meant it ran back in the 50s...but ended up bring it home any ways for a couple parts that were missing that i knew i could use on the build and if I'm lucky maybe the engine will not be as bad once i open it up and can be used. If not its a cool piece of history.

pics of the 1952 F1 parts truck

This weekend im going to look at a flathead 6 with 3 speed trans. Suppose to be in great condition and was running when pulled. But you know how that goes i will see how good of bad it is on Saturday. Either way its better than anything else i have found lately from the pics.

here are some pics

Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
sam03
Junior User
On the way home with the 226! It was cleaner that it looked. Shouldn't take much to fire it up.

Quick Reply: 1951 F3 Project