Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust brake on a 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
7.3 down
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust brake on a 460

Has anybody here put an exhaust brake on their truck with a 460 and E4OD in it? I`ve only had them on a diesel but it should work on a gasser also. Anyone with this set up please let me know how it works. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Downshift your trans manually if you need engine braking. Diesels don't have throttle blades, therefore they don't generate vacuum (and the associated engine braking) like a gas engine does.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would one do on a gasser?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM
7.3 down
Senior User
Thanks BLKF250HD for the feedback. But it does not really answer my question. A lot of times you want less engine braking then second gear allows, as in third, the engine braking is not really sufficient. I assume that the torque converter is not locked up in third gear with overdrive disengaged. Please correct me if I`m wrong, but going downhill in third only feels like partial engine braking is taking place. I live in the mountains, and just like the idea of using free exhaust back pressure to slow me down, then to have it all be turned into heat(equals wear).

Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Straight from Jacobs Vehicle Systems:

FAQ6:
Do you have any engine brakes or exhaust brakes for Gasoline engines?
ANSWER:
Because of the low back pressure limits of gasoline engines, the performance of a gasoline exhaust brake would not be substantial. Because the air intake in a gasoline engine is throttled and the compression ratio is much lower than in a diesel, the performance of a gasoline engine brake would also be insignificant. Because of this we do not offer any retarders for gasoline engines. However, Jacobs is actively seeking the commercialization of its Variable Valve Actuation System (VVA) for gasoline engines. The benefits of increased fuel economy (throttling with intake valves instead of a butterfly), miller cycle valve timing, EGR, and even compression release braking are just some of the reasons VVA would be an attractive option for gasoline engines in the light truck and passenger car markets. For more information about Jacobs VVA, click here.

Also in the same section, which applies to gas engines as well (hydraulic lifters):

".......The primary concern with putting a retarder on these engines (7.3 Powerstroke and T444E) is their use of hydraulic lifters. Most engines with hydraulic lifters have fairly low exhaust back pressure limits so the performance of an exhaust brake would not be substantial. More importantly the use of an exhaust brake on an engine with hydraulic lifters can cause engine damage. The problem is that the increased back pressure resulting from the operation of the exhaust brake will cause some degree of valve float. This valve float can cause the hydraulic lifter to re-set with the valve still open (not seated). This phenomenon is known as lifter jacking. Lifter jacking could also result if a traditional engine brake were used on these engines. The results of lifter jacking can be anything from low positive power (because the valves stay open) to engine damage caused by valve to piston contact."

Sounds like it would be a waste of time and money to try to rig something up.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Wow, that's some good info. Let me throw this out. What about one of those hydraulic retarders for the driveline? Would one be feasible for a light truck?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
7.3 down
Senior User
This is why I joined this forum!

Hey BLKF250HD, now we are talking. OK, I get it, actually it makes a lot of sense, but I wanted to find out, and you pulled this article out of your hat!Awesome! This is why I joined this forum. Every body (well most everybody) has some thing to give. So thank you! I sent an e-mail to the Banks guys, and now I feel somewhat embarrassed. Oh well, nothing wrong with asking. Thanks again. Can now go to bed in peace.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Trombogon
Senior User
That hydraulic retarder sounds terribly impractical

Old 12-13-2013, 04:44 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Trombogon
I guess it all depends on how much you tow and how deep your pockets are. If a person is working a truck that hard, they probably need a bigger truck anyway!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:29 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Trombogon
It's been done, in specific applications.
HowStuffWorks "The UPS Hydraulic Hybrid"

Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
killfrosty
New User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Straight from Jacobs Vehicle Systems:

FAQ6:
Do you have any engine brakes or exhaust brakes for Gasoline engines?
ANSWER:
Because of the low back pressure limits of gasoline engines, the performance of a gasoline exhaust brake would not be substantial. Because the air intake in a gasoline engine is throttled and the compression ratio is much lower than in a diesel, the performance of a gasoline engine brake would also be insignificant. Because of this we do not offer any retarders for gasoline engines. However, Jacobs is actively seeking the commercialization of its Variable Valve Actuation System (VVA) for gasoline engines. The benefits of increased fuel economy (throttling with intake valves instead of a butterfly), miller cycle valve timing, EGR, and even compression release braking are just some of the reasons VVA would be an attractive option for gasoline engines in the light truck and passenger car markets. For more information about Jacobs VVA, click here.

Also in the same section, which applies to gas engines as well (hydraulic lifters):

".......The primary concern with putting a retarder on these engines (7.3 Powerstroke and T444E) is their use of hydraulic lifters. Most engines with hydraulic lifters have fairly low exhaust back pressure limits so the performance of an exhaust brake would not be substantial. More importantly the use of an exhaust brake on an engine with hydraulic lifters can cause engine damage. The problem is that the increased back pressure resulting from the operation of the exhaust brake will cause some degree of valve float. This valve float can cause the hydraulic lifter to re-set with the valve still open (not seated). This phenomenon is known as lifter jacking. Lifter jacking could also result if a traditional engine brake were used on these engines. The results of lifter jacking can be anything from low positive power (because the valves stay open) to engine damage caused by valve to piston contact."

Sounds like it would be a waste of time and money to try to rig something up.
This is why I started reading this forum. You guys are awesome!!!!