1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera install on 2005 Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back up camera install on 2005 Superduty

I've been wanting to install a back up camera on my truck for quite some time now. A month ago I backed into a steel pole in a parking garage and trashed my bumper, making me realize I need a backup camera
I ordered a cheap ebay camera and 30 feet of extra power and video cable for the install. Down the road I'll order something better but for now I'm working with a cheapo 15 dollar camera
I know where I'm mounting the camera and where/how I'm running the cables, I'm just not sure how to get my head unit to switch automatically when I engage the truck in reverse. I have a pioneer double din touch screen radio as seen here on crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/SQ51zAZXW...-P4100DVD.html
If someone has done this before your help would be very appreciated!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
You should have a reverse signal lead off your Pioneer that you would need to connect to the backup light circuit off your truck, this would trigger your deck to turn on the camera. Your link to the particular deck you have doesn't work. What deck do you have ?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the camera you have a positive, negative, and RCA. Ground the negative to a good, clean, secure ground. Positive goes to the hot wire off the reverse lights. RCA to RCA. Make sure you cover and wrap every wire and I'd recommend soldering all connections. The weather and elements really beat things up back there.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Do you have the parking aid? Going from what I know about my 06
there is a lead in the passenger kick panel that is hot when in reverse.
Also if you have the auto-diming rear view mirror you can pull the
signal from the harness leading to it.

Sean

Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 PM
farmallmta
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh come on, you big pnssy! Make the old lady get off her fat a$$ and get out to watch for steel poles and Smart Cars as you back up. The ground rules should be, yell "Stop!" if it's a steel pole. "C'mon back!" if it's a Smart Car.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by farmallmta
Oh come on, you big pnssy! Make the old lady get off her fat a$$ and get out to watch for steel poles and Smart Cars as you back up. The ground rules should be, yell "Stop!" if it's a steel pole. "C'mon back!" if it's a Smart Car.
After all a Smart Car is only a place holder and a parking mat.

Sean

Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM
farmallmta
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
After all a Smart Car is only a place holder and a parking mat.

Sean

Exactly so. And if you mash them flat enough, they make pretty decent drip pans for bumpside F-250s.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Try a socker mom van that tries to blast around you on the left in the left turn lane
you are just moving into. I did not even feel the contact. She sure did.
You passing in the left turn lane is a NO NO. But she got away with it and I get a ticket.
I found out later (much later) that I could of gotten out of it with just a few simple questions.

Oh well live and learn

Sorry about the RANT

Sean

Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by madsonp
You should have a reverse signal lead off your Pioneer that you would need to connect to the backup light circuit off your truck, this would trigger your deck to turn on the camera. Your link to the particular deck you have doesn't work. What deck do you have ?
I have a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, I'll check the manual to see if it has the reverse lead

Originally Posted by sammy77
On the camera you have a positive, negative, and RCA. Ground the negative to a good, clean, secure ground. Positive goes to the hot wire off the reverse lights. RCA to RCA. Make sure you cover and wrap every wire and I'd recommend soldering all connections. The weather and elements really beat things up back there.
Ok thanks, thats how I was planning on wiring it.

Originally Posted by Yahiko
Do you have the parking aid? Going from what I know about my 06
there is a lead in the passenger kick panel that is hot when in reverse.
Also if you have the auto-diming rear view mirror you can pull the
signal from the harness leading to it.
Sean
No I do not have back up sensors on my truck. I do not think I have the auto dimming mirror, but my rear view mirror does have a power button on it.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I used an upfitter switch for my backup camera. It is nice to turn it on when you are not in reverse at times.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I used an upfitter switch for my backup camera. It is nice to turn it on when you are not in reverse at times.
That's a great idea Chris.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I would honestly go with reverse sensors before the camera. I don't have the camera on my truck, but I would think that not having to look down and being able to just "listen" to how close I am to something is a little bit better. Let us know whatever route you go and please post pics!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by lakewood
I have a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, I'll check the manual to see if it has the reverse lead
From page 10 of your installation manual concerning the back-up camera.
Violet/white
Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the REVERSE (R) position. This connection enables the unit to
sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You don't need to do this with the Pioneers, you can turn on the back-up camera while driving down the road from the screen. From page 54 of the owners manual:
Even while driving, rear view camera image can be displayed. To do this, touch
Rear View source icon. In this case, touch Rear View again to turn off the rear view camera. For details, refer to Selecting a source on page 12.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
From page 10 of your installation manual concerning the back-up camera.
Violet/white
Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the REVERSE (R) position. This connection enables the unit to
sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards.
Ok awesome thanks. I'll probably install the camera tomorrow so I'll post pictures of everything when its done

You don't need to do this with the Pioneers, you can turn on the back-up camera while driving down the road from the screen. From page 54 of the owners manual:
Even while driving, rear view camera image can be displayed. To do this, touch
Rear View source icon. In this case, touch Rear View again to turn off the rear view camera. For details, refer to Selecting a source on page 12.
Yeah most people get power for the camera from the reverse wire on the 7pin connector. I want constant power so i can switch to the camera whenever like you said.

Quick Reply: Back up camera install on 2005 Superduty