1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Cleaning out the cowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning out the cowl

This is really a newb question, but I need to ask it.
Old leaves are accumulated in the cowl of my 63'. How do you get in there to clean them out?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I opened access holes at the fire wall and door jam and used air hose and shop vac with a bottle brush with a long handle you can also get access through the air vent and heater vent

Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
I didn't even see these access holes. I shall look.
Thanks!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm pretty certain the '63 cowl area is similar to my '65 cowl area. I once owned a '63, but that was many moons ago.........

The '65 cowl area provides air to the kinda-triangular-shaped vent doors, inside below the dash, in the sides of the cab wall, forward of the doors. If you open those vents all the way, you can reach in and pick out most anything that has made it's way through the cowl vent slots and settled in the cavity below the vent doors. It helps if you have a small-ish shop vac hose to get it in there too.

I usually use my hand to pick out the majority of the debris, then a small vac hose to get the small stuff out. Then I dump about a 1/2 gallon of water into the cowl at each end. The water will flush out any remaining dirt through the drain holes at the bottom of the cab walls. If the drain holes are plugged, you may need to poke a piece of wire up through them from under the cab. I check my drain holes frequently to ensure they don't get plugged up. If they do get plugged off, any rain water/wash water will not drain out and rust will develop inside.

BarnieTrk

Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
The first time we opened those vents at speed we got most of the leaves from down low blown at us. LOL. But if you look from outside, there are some in that area behind the hood.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
this is the upper to the rt of hing two screws hold it on the vent access is a good size opening when take the door off
there is another on the other side and in the middle of fire wall usually two screws hole each on

Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
rubber plug at bellow the hing use a wire to work dirt/vac

there are other openings but some are behind the fenders

Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
this one is behind the fender

Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Take the screws out around the lip of the vent and pull the complete assembly out and you have alot more room to vac and wash out.Make sure the drain holes are clear.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Good info....thanks to all!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Thanks a ton everyone!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Wolfracing
The first time we opened those vents at speed we got most of the leaves from down low blown at us. LOL. But if you look from outside, there are some in that area behind the hood.
If the truck sits too long, bees will also find it a nice place to build a nest....be careful! Don't ask me how I know........

BarnieTrk

Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dont clean them out and this is what happens:

And fixing requires this:

In short, if yours are in good shape, take care of them.

Mine were effed, and I had to rebuild from scratch for the bottom drain area, and a piece from another truck BillW sent me.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Found an article on ddavidv's website helpful on how to clean the numerous water drain cavities thru out the cab and fenders. The leaves and dirt that accumulates in the cowl eventually make it down to the fender and cab drain cavities; found the relief holes on the 65 so impacted with dirt and debris; especially the fender, it could take days for the water to eventually drain from the air vent pockets, creating an ideal habitat for rust. Perhaps ddavidv will chime in and provide the link; at least I found the article helpful!!

Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Fellas,

Here is another suggestion; I would drill two drain holes in the crossmember/brace that crosses the width of the cab, behind the foot area & just ahead of where the seats bolt down. I'd suggest a 1/2" hole about 4-5" from each end. This crossmember/brace collects mud/dirt/water and does not drain; so it rusts out! I drilled the two holes in each of my '65s. I then used a water hose to flush out all the crud that had collected / built up inside the brace and then I used an air hose to blow out the excess water (Yep, a messy job, but worth it). Lastly, about twice a year I poke a piece of wire up and around inside each hole - just to ensure it isn't plugged off and is draining adequately. An air hose blasted in there is also a good idea.

Now, with the new drain holes installed, the crossmember/brace does not collect mud/crud, it stays dry and should not rust out nearly as fast as if I hadn't added the drain holes. It works for me!

BarnieTrk

Quick Reply: Cleaning out the cowl