6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Air filter WHICH ONE. TO MANY CHOICES

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM
wolffee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air filter WHICH ONE. TO MANY CHOICES

My 6.0 is due for an air filter and well I am thinking it time for an aftermarket kit. I have an MBRP 4in stright pipe and it whistles ok but i am thinking with a better intake it should run and whistle even better. Any thoughts? I really like the S&B or the Banks. I want cold air so i dont want anything that has openings for hot engine air to enter. I also dont like the K&N as it seals on the hood.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only suggestion for air filtration you will get on this forum is to stick with the OEM setup as it is the most effective filter you can find and is good up to 500 hp.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Answer: No to the aftermarket kit. OEM all the way!

But: If I HAD to have one, I would get the S&B System with the Dry Filter and absolutely no other. I still think it's probably not worth it, but hey, if you MUST customize, then that's the one I'd go with for a dry filter. NO COTTON/OILED ones for me!

S B Cold Air Intake Dry 03 07 Ford F250 F350 Powerstroke 6 0L Diesel 75 5032D | eBay

Here is a link to S&B study that was done. It sounds like they did thorough testing with it...

http://www.sbfilters.com/core/media/...efb28b12b043a5

If you look at the filter efficiency, OEM Motorcraft air filters 99.97%, to 99.69% for the S&B but the S&B supposedly flows about 35% more cfm.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM
skidooman1990
Senior User
X2 on stock only. Have seen too many pictures of compressor fins destroyed from dirt let in by poor filtering cai's. As stated by mustang, numerous dyno studies have shown that the stock intake will not restrict power up to 500 hp. Numerous studies have also shown that cai's have no consistent impact on mpg's. In fact, some people reported decreases in fuel economy with aftermarket intakes. I'd save the cash and spend it on something more worth your while, like an egr delete or a coolant filter.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
Answer: No to the aftermarket kit. OEM all the way!

But: If I HAD to have one, I would get the S&B System with the Dry Filter and absolutely no other. I still think it's probably not worth it, but hey, if you MUST customize, then that's the one I'd go with for a dry filter. NO COTTON/OILED ones for me!

S B Cold Air Intake Dry 03 07 Ford F250 F350 Powerstroke 6 0L Diesel 75 5032D | eBay

Here is a link to S&B study that was done. It sounds like they did thorough testing with it...

http://www.sbfilters.com/core/media/...efb28b12b043a5

If you look at the filter efficiency, OEM Motorcraft air filters 99.97%, to 99.69% for the S&B but the S&B supposedly flows about 35% more cfm.
IF and ONLY IF you really wanted something different this would be the way to go.

Expy - good research finding that at least can send folks who must have aftermarket to a decent spot.

I ma curious though how much material will they hold? theoretically the OEM will hold 5lbs I think I read somewhere here, what will these hold and will the filter minder fit and be applicable. Makes a big difference when your exploring off-road in the desert miles away from anywhere, having that is a small piece of mind. Just my 2c on the matter

Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OEM only and make sure it's the one with the blue synthetic membrane that helps repel water.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 PM
wolffee
Elder User
I appreciate all the answers and I will prob end up sticking to OEM. Its great to have the input. I have been running OEM since i bought it in 04'. I am mearly curious as to what people feel and thats why we ask. However Mustang_309 I have been a member on here just as long as you for about 10 years and ypu know OEM is not the only thing reccomended on here come on now. No disrespect but alot of what we do on here is talk about our upgraded ball joints, better flowing exhaust systems, and who has the new lift with the Mag Hy-Tech diff covers. So as i am a fan of OEM i am also open to what might be out there. Keep the input coming. Thanks all

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
The only suggestion for air filtration you will get on this forum is to stick with the OEM setup as it is the most effective filter you can find and is good up to 500 hp.
He was just referring to the air filter. In my book that would also include oil and fuel filters.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would normally say stick with OEM, but i picked up an S&B kit for a good price (new) from a swap meet this weekend. Been on my list, very low, but i was still looking so i finally grabbed it. Really nice kit. Seems slightly smoother mid range but besides that, i just like the cleaner look and ease of filter changing

Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Originally Posted by wolffee
I appreciate all the answers and I will prob end up sticking to OEM. Its great to have the input. I have been running OEM since i bought it in 04'. I am mearly curious as to what people feel and thats why we ask. However Mustang_309 I have been a member on here just as long as you for about 10 years and ypu know OEM is not the only thing reccomended on here come on now. No disrespect but alot of what we do on here is talk about our upgraded ball joints, better flowing exhaust systems, and who has the new lift with the Mag Hy-Tech diff covers. So as i am a fan of OEM i am also open to what might be out there. Keep the input coming. Thanks all
Not to start a pissing match here, but here goes. Nowhere in my post did I indicate that OEM parts are the only ones you should use in/on your powerstroke, perhaps you should reread it. For what its worth I was just trying to help you look out for your pocket book and the health of your turbo and other related components. Take it for what its worth if you want to blow your money on a cold air intake be my guest. On another note, if you have been a member and reading the 6.0L forums as long as I have you already knew the answer to your question, so why you would have taken a venomous tone towards my post is beyond me. Good luck to you.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Alright well i didnt mean to get under your skin. No pissin here. I did reread it and i did again see wprd for word "The only suggestion for air filtration you will get on this forum is to stick with the OEM setup as it is the most effective filter you can find and is good up to 500 hp" i think that foes say the "ONLY SUGGESTION". Thats the only reason i brought it up. And if you were to reread my post i did mention no disrespect and lots of thanks for the suggestions. I did want the suggestions. Also i have read the post over the years and no i didnt already know the answer as new products come out all the time. We are here to help one another. I was looking for opinions on those two products not why i am wasting my money. Its that money that keeps sites like this up and running. So again i aint pissin at you. This should be constructive. Take it as you will and i will continue to appreciate all the constructive opinions.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Alright well i didnt mean to get under your skin. No pissin here. I did reread it and i did again see wprd for word "The only suggestion for air filtration you will get on this forum is to stick with the OEM setup as it is the most effective filter you can find and is good up to 500 hp" i think that foes say the "ONLY SUGGESTION". Thats the only reason i brought it up. And if you were to reread my post i did mention no disrespect and lots of thanks for the suggestions. I did want the suggestions. Also i have read the post over the years and no i didnt already know the answer as new products come out all the time. We are here to help one another. I was looking for opinions on those two products not why i am wasting my money. Its that money that keeps sites like this up and running. So again i aint pissin at you. This should be constructive. Take it as you will and i will continue to appreciate all the constructive opinions.
While you say that you meant no disrespect yet I am the only one you called out for saying OEM is the only way to go. It is what it is.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Others did yes say OEM only. You just happened to be the first and one that said that OEM would be the only recommendation that I would be receiving and I was just disagreeing. Plain and simple. Hey let's leave it be I'm happy and hold no gripe. I hope to be able to get some good incite in the future from you all. I guess I will just have to make my own mind up. On another not anyone know where to get Amsoil EaBp 110 filters cheaper then the $48.00 from Amsoil.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
. On another not anyone know where to get Amsoil EaBp 110 filters cheaper then the $48.00 from Amsoil.
Try Hillside Auto out of Oregon...

541-331-1484 ask for Wes

Josh

Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know where to get Amsoil EaBp 110 filters cheaper then the $48.00 from Amsoil.
Do you buy them from Amsoil online or at a local store? How many are you looking to buy?

Quick Reply: Air filter WHICH ONE. TO MANY CHOICES