1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Boy Blue Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy Blue Build

Hello all and TGIF. Reading all of Gary's and other member's build threads I thought I start on my own why not. Though it will probably lack the knowledge that seems to be flowing in those threads, I figured it'd be nice to keep something going to keep track of process.

History of Boy Blue- It looks like I am the third owner of BB. I purchased it from a guy who was down on his luck and needed cash. The PO had just purchased 35" BFGs and had previously done a suspension lift. He had also taken out the original engine and had a 302 cleaned, bored and bought all new valves, cylinder heads, pistons, camshaft...basically a whole new engine, but he never had the $$$ to get someone to put it together for him. So for $1,500 I became the new owner in Feb 2012.

How did Boy Blue get his name? Once I had towed the truck to my in-laws house, we were talking about the color and my mother-in-law said it had a baby boy blue color on it. I don't why but I liked the ring to it and so He was dubbed BOY BLUE.

Work that has been done on truck? Obviously the engine needed to be put back together which my father-in-law and one of my wife's uncles helped me out with. Purchase a new Summitracing brand carburetor from summitracing.com and purchase a HEI distributor from ebay.

Afterwards the whole fuel system had to be replaced and so I ordered a spectra fuel tank from advance and got new tubing and now BB can run

What work still needs to get done? My steering isn't right. So the next item to purchase is a steering pump because the current one looks shot. I might also need to get some new tie rods because the left wheel does not respond as well as the right wheel.

I also have an electrical issue that needs addressing https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-stay-on.html but will get to that later.

And an issue I have been worried about since purchasing this truck has been security and I have been reading and searching for ideas. Probably will just get some truckers chain and chain the truck to the tree

Well I think that is enough for now. Love being a member on this forum and love reading and interacting with all you folks. Have a great weekend

Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off let me say good luck with your build and thread. Here's a link to mine; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...build-log.html

Originally Posted by FoundOnRoadDominatin
And an issue I have been worried about since purchasing this truck has been security and I have been reading and searching for ideas. Probably will just get some truckers chain and chain the truck to the tree
Then let me ask if you have seen or heard anything about the "Trunk Monkey" security system?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Then let me ask if you have seen or heard anything about the "Trunk Monkey" security system?
We don't have trunks, and "bed monkey" has a different connotation.

Anyway, subscribed. Gotta see where Blue Boy goes.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribing sounds like an interesting truck. By the way Gary it is Boy Blue. LOL
Trav

Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
My bad. I'll refer to it as BB and you won't know.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 PM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Well This weekend was a slow one in regards to the revival of Boy Blue. I did some poking around inside the cab. I took some photos but I'm having trouble uploading some of the pics.

I was having trouble with the power locks on the passenger side. I first thought the motor might have gone bad but actually some lever came loose. Got that fixed and now that's all good. Then I started looking at the carpet on the floor. I have no idea why the PO would have put that on but I don't like it. It doesn't clean very well and it irritates the skin when I was working on the floor. Overall it was a good weekend. Will continue to keep you guys posted. Have a great night.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Nate - Interesting. You appear to have buckets with a flip-down center seat/console. Right? Can you tell how the stuff is bolted to the floor? Directly to the floor or via a full-width pan?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Nate - Interesting. You appear to have buckets with a flip-down center seat/console. Right? Can you tell how the stuff is bolted to the floor? Directly to the floor or via a full-width pan?
Yeah I do have the buckets seat with the center console. I was actually looking at that yesterday. I have been follow this thread that is pretty interesting. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html

I was considering removing the center console and insert a subwoofer there in its place but still don't know. I can't go the behind the seat option because my seats are stuck in place. (I don't think they were designed to be that way rather I think they're just rusted or needs greasing).

But from what I can tell the center console looks like it had a frame of its own welded on and then that frame was bolted on to a frame that ran through the whole cab for all three seats. I'll take some pictures tonight after work for you. Was it just the center console you wondered about?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, as you know I've been following that thread as well.

Actually, I'm interested in how your seats and console attach. My console looks like this:

And I'm looking for a mounting pan that looks like this, so am curious if that's what you have:

Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
And I'm looking for a mounting pan that looks like this, so am curious if that's what you have:
I can already tell you it looks slightly different. Apart from the pan there are beams attached to the pan running long ways and the seats and the console are attached to those beams but now that I have an idea what you are looking for I'll see and take some pictures.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Tnx Appreciate it.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Well finally got the pictures sized correctly. Tried to upload straight from my phone but the pictures needed to get resized. First, I started looking at the electrical system and found this guy under the driver dash...
I got excited and then realized I had forgotten my manual and so I let it there to mess with another day. Then as earlier mentioned I started to inspect my center console. I was told that the bucket seats and the console did not originally come with my truck but I like them anyhow. They just need some TLC.

I'm thinking I can sand that wood and put some veneer or something. Just one more thing to add to the list of things to get done.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 PM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Hey Gary I know that you got some brackets getting sent your way but here are some pictures I took.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Nate - Is that something from Ford? It is so ....... simple. Duh! The only thing making it a bit difficult for an individual is the Z-shaped pieces, but that could be done using some square tubing. However, you'd have to be careful that you don't collapse the tubing since you'd put the nuts on the far side.

So, really, all it would take would be the outside brackets from a bench seat and lay square tubing across them and then bolt the seat tracks to that. Adjust the size of the tubing to adjust the desired height of the seats. Cool! Thanks!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Well I wanted to check in with those following this thread and I appreciate those that do. Right now I am in the planning phase, trying to build a list of items that I need/want such as power steering pump, exhaust manifold, oil, etc. It shouldn't cost too much but I am seeing how to combine purchases with certain items to get the max savings.

Just a tip, I know you guys have your preferred retailer and where to buy things but if you shop online I've been using retailmenot.com to find any coupons that might help. Now don't think that I am endorsing any specific place or site but it works for me and want to let you guys know.

As soon as I order the steering pump and driver side exhaust manifold(passenger side will come after that) I will post pics.

If you guys have knowledge of suspension and how to correct problems, I recently posted a few pics and questions about my TTB setup.Here is the thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-hate-it.html