6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Factory Air Filter Housing Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
winklershop
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory Air Filter Housing Fitment Issues

Have you guys seen any issues with the factory air filter housing and air filter? Lately i have been seeing air filter housing that dont like to hold tight on the important side. its like they dont clip in tight. i pulled a air filter and could see where dust just pulling around the gasket...not good!

What do you guys think?

What about going to a after market air filter housing, i have heard S & B makes a good one.

But the factory air filter and housing is a really good design, besides seeing a bad sealing surface on the air filter. its almost like the plastic duct work warps and doesnt hold a tight even surface, or they need a few more clips.

Makes me sick to think about how long has this been going on?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it's not all the way in at the bottom. It can be a tricky fit the first few times.

Air filter, fuel filters, oil filter, motorcraft only on the 6.0. Many have learned that the hard way.

You should be able to work that tiny gap out on the engine side. If you can't, I would cover it with duct tape before using a different brand air filter.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winklershop
Have you guys seen any issues with the factory air filter housing and air filter? Lately i have been seeing air filter housing that dont like to hold tight on the important side. its like they dont clip in tight. i pulled a air filter and could see where dust just pulling around the gasket...not good!

What do you guys think?

What about going to a after market air filter housing, i have heard S & B makes a good one.

But the factory air filter and housing is a really good design, besides seeing a bad sealing surface on the air filter. its almost like the plastic duct work warps and doesnt hold a tight even surface, or they need a few more clips.

Makes me sick to think about how long has this been going on?
I gave up and removed the whole assembly, disconnected it from the turbo and front of the truck, I locked it all into place and then reinstalled it in one piece. Believe me, it was much faster than fighting the clips on both sides.

Here is a video of a Ron removing it to get to the upper fuel filter housing.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
winklershop
Senior User
I just tried that, your right, much easier to do, but i still have the same fitment issue, look closely at these pictures. You can see a shadow behind the gasket, its not a good fit, there needs to be more clips on the sides. You can also see how warped the plastic gets. It doesnt take much dust to start loosing compression.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Looks like it was installed incorrectly some time in the past and it went through many heat cycles that way. Maybe just the back piece of tubing with the MAF sensor in it is available separately?
Just a couple of tips. Dropping the filter section in so that the nipples line up with the grommets in the mount bracket is the key. There are arrows molded into the shelf by the battery to help line it up. Make sure it's correctly positioned before tightening it down.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Yikes, yours is way off. Mine is just slightly off, but I bet yours pulls in lots of air/dirt without being filtered. So you put the ears in the slots on the bottom? Short of buying a new part, I would probably throw some quick clamps on there in a couple of spots and try to get it to go back in shape. Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. It looks like someone took a prybar to that thing at some point.

Look for something like this.

Clamps

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM
winklershop
Senior User
This is what i came up with, besides buying the part from ford for $230 (which only comes with a MAF and Air Filter Minder) ...i could buy a whole S & B cold air intake kit for that.

Part # 15RB and part #10RB
(15 inch rubber bungie and a 10 rubber bungie hooked together)

Kind of a bear to put on, but it seems to help, and then like 99problems said, put it all together on the bench and then put it in the truck onto the turbo and your done.

Seems to have closed up that gap pretty good, the only other option would be, buy from Ford, find one in a junk yard, or go after market application like S&B (s and b is the only good one i have heard of with the disposable filters, have heard the K&N filter can come apart and get sucked into the turbo?)

Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by winklershop
This is what i came up with, besides buying the part from ford for $230 (which only comes with a MAF and Air Filter Minder) ...i could buy a whole S & B cold air intake kit for that.

Part # 15RB and part #10RB
(15 inch rubber bungie and a 10 rubber bungie hooked together)

Kind of a bear to put on, but it seems to help, and then like 99problems said, put it all together on the bench and then put it in the truck onto the turbo and your done.

Seems to have closed up that gap pretty good, the only other option would be, buy from Ford, find one in a junk yard, or go after market application like S&B (s and b is the only good one i have heard of with the disposable filters, have heard the K&N filter can come apart and get sucked into the turbo?)

MAF/MAP sensors do not like oil.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
winklershop
Senior User
oh i see what your saying, if you have an oiled KN filter its hard on the MAF and MAP sensors

Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hell ya, That's rednex, I use my Bunges to much, get some foil tape much better hold than duct tape, or look at some dismantle/junk yards for a better one

Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Now if you take your wife's hair dryer and heat that puppy up and let it cool it might keep its shape and seal better with out the bungee.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Just thought of something. Chances are probably slim to none, but what happens if that bungee breaks. Does it end up in the fan and wiring? That would SUCK!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If you have $40.00 try this one on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-superduty-6-0-diesel-factory-air-intake-/171139894303?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d8bb8c1f&vxp=mtr
Sean

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
good post Sean, I like the Bungeeeee, but for 40 bucks may be worth more to the Turbo Health

Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yahiko
If you have $40.00 try this one on Ebay
Ford Superduty 6 0 Diesel Factory Air Intake | eBay

Sean
Technically, $60. They want $20 for shipping. Good find though! The Air Filter cost me that.

Quick Reply: Factory Air Filter Housing Fitment Issues