1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch info

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't install any organic style clutches when I do Valair clutches. They have never recommended that I install one in anything either, even in completely stock trucks. I have driven a truck with one and they are still a little bit grabby, just not quite as bad as the kevlar/ceramic. I never had any problems backing up trailers in my 2wd with any of the clutches I've run. You just need to know what your doing.. It's not terribly complicated..

Mike, that clutch will slip, but again... You have to know how to drive it. Many figure out pretty quickly that they cannot take of from an idle like they used to, but instead they have to rev it up to around 800-1000 rpm in order to take off smoothly. Slipping the clutch at an idle will cause it to be very rough. My ceramic double disc is pretty close to engaging like the kevlar/ceramic, but my double is just a touch smoother when slipping the clutch at idle.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM
tbugher62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Strokin which clutch do you thimk would be good for my application?

Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM
tbugher62
Senior User
Fordman,I looked at mine and the cross-member bolts on the inside of the frame and consits of the 2 side pieces and the bottom piece,so 3 piece cross-member,also there is a hole pattern about 8 inchs forward of where the cross-member is now that looks like the same pattern.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Hmm. it may not be a big difference.bill can answer much better than i can.im trying but he has done several swaps.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
Chase will that clutch even let you slip it ?
Travis pretty much nailed it. "Slipping it" is a relative term with this clutch It's a different animal and takes some getting used to. Like Travis said the key is to get the RPM up a bit, then it's smooth like butter. Not always easy to do when backing a trailer though.

PS Travis, remember that noise issue I was texting you about a while back? It's not gear rollover, but it is coming from the trans. As best I can figure its basically just the sound of the gears rolling against each other. The old pour an extra quart in through the shifter hole trick would probably clear it up.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tbugher62
So Strokin which clutch do you thimk would be good for my application?
Personally, I would have gotten the kevlar/ceramic, but if you're going to be keeping the truck stock, maybe just a chip or something down the road then the brass woven organic should be fine. If you ever plan to upgrade injectors down the road, the kevlar/ceramic would have been the better choice.

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Travis pretty much nailed it. "Slipping it" is a relative term with this clutch It's a different animal and takes some getting used to. Like Travis said the key is to get the RPM up a bit, then it's smooth like butter. Not always easy to do when backing a trailer though.

PS Travis, remember that noise issue I was texting you about a while back? It's not gear rollover, but it is coming from the trans. As best I can figure its basically just the sound of the gears rolling against each other. The old pour an extra quart in through the shifter hole trick would probably clear it up.
Yeah, I remember. By the description you give in this quote, it sounds EXACTLY like gear rollover. Gear rollover will present itself at idle with the clutch engaged and at low RPMs while lugging the engine a little too much. Dump an extra quart in it and roll on. It won't completely cure the problem. The only thing that completely cures gear rollover is time. Over time, it will all but disappear. Mine used to be horrible, but it only comes up now if I'm lugging the heck out of it with a good load on it.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Personally, I would have gotten the kevlar/ceramic, but if you're going to be keeping the truck stock, maybe just a chip or something down the road then the brass woven organic should be fine. If you ever plan to upgrade injectors down the road, the kevlar/ceramic would have been the better choice.

Yeah, I remember. By the description you give in this quote, it sounds EXACTLY like gear rollover. Gear rollover will present itself at idle with the clutch engaged and at low RPMs while lugging the engine a little too much. Dump an extra quart in it and roll on. It won't completely cure the problem. The only thing that completely cures gear rollover is time. Over time, it will all but disappear. Mine used to be horrible, but it only comes up now if I'm lugging the heck out of it with a good load on it.
OK maybe I'm a complete retard (if you comment on that Travis I'll fly down there just to whip your butt!) but I thought gear rollover was something entirely different. The sound you get if you hold your foot on the brake and almost bring to a stop... kind of a low growl sound. That's what I thought gear rollover is. This high pitched chirpy sound I have is something entirely different.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
OK maybe I'm a complete retard (if you comment on that Travis I'll fly down there just to whip your butt!) but I thought gear rollover was something entirely different. The sound you get if you hold your foot on the brake and almost bring to a stop... kind of a low growl sound. That's what I thought gear rollover is. This high pitched chirpy sound I have is something entirely different.

Well gear rollover is a low pitched growling type sound from the transmission. A high pitch would be more like a bearing or something like that.. I won't call you a retard.. Heck I did a set of ball joints last weekend. Got one hub all the way finished and realized I forgot the rotor dust shield. Had to pull it all back apart. Now that's retarded. Lol

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Well gear rollover is a low pitched growling type sound from the transmission. A high pitch would be more like a bearing or something like that.. I won't call you a retard.. Heck I did a set of ball joints last weekend. Got one hub all the way finished and realized I forgot the rotor dust shield. Had to pull it all back apart. Now that's retarded. Lol
I may or may not be guilty of doing the same thing when I had my 99...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Chase, does your chirp stop when you push the clutch in? I've got a high pitched chirping and I'm 99% sure it's the throwout bearing.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Rosco69
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hang a t-case on it, just for the 4LO while reversing with a load....
I do pull and back in a trailer with my truck (manual tran) and I have a single Fly with heavy clutch.
What is a T-case?????

Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rosco69
What is a T-case?????
Transfer case. Attached behind the tranny on 4x4 trucks, connects to the front driveshaft. Shifts between 2WD, 4HI and 4LO. If you have manual hubs, you can shift to 4LO but leave the hubs unlocked, and the effect is a super-slow creeper gear, perfect for reversing with a trailer. You could, hypothetically, put a transfer case behind the tranny on a 2WD truck just for the low range option. But the tranny on the 4x4 trucks is slightly different, with a tail housing that mates to the t-case.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FI460
Chase, does your chirp stop when you push the clutch in? I've got a high pitched chirping and I'm 99% sure it's the throwout bearing.
Yes. Throwout bearing was new when the clutch was installed a few months ago.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Mine chirped from day one. 6000 miles on it now and it still chirps. I think it was dieselsubmariner who commented on the same thing. He just did a zf5 swap and his new throwout bearing was chirping too.