Sponsored by:

6.5" component install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5" component install

so ive done a bunch of research into car audio and ive learned that round speakers are much better for crisper response and last longer, and components take this even further by isolating the woofer and tweeter for better clarity and longevity.
i went to a wrecker yard and found the sail panels from a 2008+ superduty with factory tweeter mounts. i paid $35, apparently they are $80 each new (with tweeter)

the stock tweeter is screwed into place along with the wiring, remove the screws and the whole thing comes apart.
here is where it gets interesting, i forgot to take a picture but to remove the stock tweeter from its mount there are 3 tabs on the outer edge that hold it, these tabs are glued together but very easy to pry apart. then due to the mounting depth and width of my new tweeters i had to grind the hole larger, and grind the top protruding lip down flush with the rest of it.this picture shows the tweeter and the mount after i modified it.

then i used one of the tweeter covers that came in my speaker kit, pushed it on ( it surrounds the tweeter) and used a plastic epoxy to glue the cover on to the mounting base and re installed into the sail panel.

after removing the doorpanels the first thing i looked for was a good location to mount the large crossovers. i wanted a location that was close to both of the speakers to reduce wiring, and ill not interfere with panel removal/install. i found a spot directly under the sail panel where the door panel has an open space large enough with no pieces that interfere.

I then wired in the crossover, it has an input from the stereo (or in my case from the amplifier) and one output for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

after wiring these all up i worked on mounting the 6.5" woofer in the door panel. i used an adapter plate my friend gave me that is used to adapt from all normal oval sizes (6x8, 5x7, 6x9 etc) into 5.5" i used a dremel and enlarged the hole to fit my 6.5 woofer. upon mocking everything up i realized it wasnt going to screw into place like i planned. the woofer is supposed to screw into the adapter first, then screw the adapter and woofer into the stock mounting holes. this wasnt possible for me. i had to drill a new hole just inwards of each of the 4 stock holes and mount the woofer and adapter into these. our stock oval shape is "pushed outwards" and is not flush with the rest of the door panel.

i managed to get everything tightly secured, i drilled a hole smaller than the screws and let the screws bite through to allow a good grip.
once everything was back together i noticed the new sail panels are slightly higher and narrower than the older styles, but this is minimal and despite my truck ocd, i can live with it.

the sound quality from these are amazing! i cant "hear" the different mounting locations everything blends nicely, and for my preferences it sounds amazing with a very good balance of crisp vocal, FINALLY i have better mid bass that i was so desperately lacking, and my subs pick up the low bass and rumble the whole truck.

just in case anyone is wondering, my stereo system comprises of the touch screen deck powering the 3rd row speakers which i forget what brand they are but arent very important, i have a 340 rms watt 4 channel amplifier powering these new hertz 6.5 components in the front, and alpine type R 6X8s in the 2nd row (these were what i had up front as well but managed to ruin the driver side speaker in just over a year). i have an alpine 1100 rms watt amplifier powering my two new style 12" type S (the newly redesigned S are supposed to be as good as the previous model type R)
I am VERY happy with the sound of these, the midbass is a MAJOR improvement and the tweeters sound a bit more crisp and clear, maybe due to being in line with your ears instead of feet.