Sponsored by:

Another gear question for the X perts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another gear question for the X perts

After some searching and lots of reading of various posts about the different gearing options - I figured I'd post my question anyhow...

Preface...

The X is my wife's daily driver and the family vehicle/tow vehicle, like most on here. And I usually drive it on the weekends. She had been complaining of a "whirring" noise for a couple months - but it was only evident at freeway speeds, namely when pressing very lightly on the go pedal. I haven't had much time to really look into the problem - but after driving it myself, I made time this past weekend.

Even more background...

Truck currently has ~160k on the ODO. Bought it with 90k. At the time of purchase, I noted a similar noise and asked the dealer to repair before I took delivery. They did. Said some bearing was defective. I wonder if dealer did a shoddy job and this is why I am in the situation I am in.

So yesterday, I went to parts store and purchased some Lucas diff fluid thinking its the bearing again. Pop it apart when I get home and notice some chunks of ring gear on two separate teeth missing. Look for any chunk in the pan/pumpkin and find none . Then my friend helping me rotates the left rear wheel a bit and we notice that the bearing cap on the left side is excessively loose! Right side is OK. We decide that must be the culprit and clean everything up, re-torque the bearing caps, re-assemble and fill with oil.

Now I know I am on borrowed time and have to make a decision on what repair route to take. Currently the X is on V/B codes and 285 tires. I doubt I will lift it any higher. I tow my 30' toyhauler with total loaded weight being ~13k lbs approx 8-10 times a year up cajon pass on I15; I was debating on re-gearing to 4.10 from 3.73LS. And adding detroit tru-trac. I know I'd have to re-do the front to match. And I believe the 4.10s would make towing up hills much easier.

Tempted to take this "opportunity" to upgrade, or so I think, I am debating if its a truly wise choice, especially considering the cost of such an upgrade and added cost of fuel the X will go thru when not towing (which is 85% of the time).

So I am asking the Xperts here on FTE - whaddya think? Should I go 4.10 true-trac? Or just stay 3.73LS? Stewart? Toreador_Diesel?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you decide on gearing, don't wait too long. On an 8.8 housing, anyway, there is an oil passage on the top of the front side that lubes the front bearing. I'd imagine ours are similar. Hydraulic current will push debris around the case as the oil circulates. Larger fragments can get stuck in that passage, on top of the pinion shaft. That's where I found 4 ring gear teeth when I tore apart the diff on my Mustang.