Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rear sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear sway bar question

I've been wanting to put a rear sway bar on my truck since I bought it back in 2005. I haul a pickup camper and have SRW just as shown in the picture in my signature.

My question is... What year truck sway bar will fit my 2001? I spotted a 2004 dually sway bar at a wrecking yard and wondered if it would fit. The price quoted was very reasonable... I just would like to narrow down what will and won't fit.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I would expect just about any Super Duty SRW sway bar would fit. If your budget allows, take a look at the Hellwig model. It is much more effective than an OEM bar.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,767 Likes on 1,154 Posts
you need to check them before you buy used, my '99 F250 2wd camper special (now my service truck) has a rear sway bar about as big as a yugo would have

Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
If your budget allows, take a look at the Hellwig model. It is much more effective than an OEM bar.
I have considered Hellwig but the price quoted for the OEM sway bar is 1/5th the price of the Hellwig. Even if I replace the bushings with Energy Suspension aftermarket bushings ill still come out way ahead.

I was hoping to get a reference to a Ford part number that verified that across several years that the rear sway bar would or wouldn't fit.

I checked Helwig's part and it appears the same model works for '99 to at least '06... That's where I stopped checking.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will need one off a SWR truck. Differert axle in the DRW and the brackets on my dually are welded on instead of being clamped.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is one way to get one:

Originally Posted by Tommyquest
For those of you who do not have a factory rear swaybar and want to install one I finally managed to track down all the necessary part #'s needed to add a 30mm rear swaybar.

F81Z5A772AA 30mm Rear Stabilizer Bar $99.21
E5TZ5486B Stabilizer Bar Bracket (2) $21.76 for 2
1C3Z5705AA U-bolt (2) $33.82 for 2
3C7Z5K484EA Endlink (2) $55.88 for 2
E5TZ5B498AA Stabilizer Bar Mount Bracket (2) $12.56 for 2
The washers in the pic I ended up not needing.
I purchased these parts from tousleyfordparts.com
All metal flanged center-locknuts you can source locally.
M10X1.5 (4) for the u-bolts
M12x1.75 (4) for the endlinks.

Here is what I did:
Originally Posted by Turfzilla
Stopped by the local pull a part today. I found a rear sway off a super duty with all the brackets. Someone had already pulled the axle so the only thing holding the sway bar on was the two upper link bolts. They even put the nuts back on the brackets!! Took me longer to walk out on the yard than it did to remove the sway bar. The best part.......$15 for the complete package!! Cha-Cing!!

Perfect bolt on fit. I had to remove the skid or whatever it is on passenger side shock mount and trim it. That took longer than the whole install. The links may be a bit long. I'll likely pop them back off and shorten them.

$15 and 30 minutes I have what Ford should have done at the factory

Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Turfzilla, that's awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for.

I couldn't agree more with your comment. Ford should have done this to all these trucks.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I did the same thing at my pick-and-pull. Got mine for $50 I think....whole thing.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
I wanted to update this thread now that I finally got a used rear sway bar assembly.

I paid $40 for the entire assembly at a pick-n-pull yard. It took about an hour to remove it from the wrecked truck. After cleaning it up with brake clean and lacquer thinner it didn't even have any rust to deal with.

The installation took about 2 hours, maybe a little more. The top of the end link on the drivers side was a bugger. There is about 1' between the fuel tank and the frame. I couldn't get my "sausage fingers" in there while holding the washer or bolt. I had my son help with that part. The rest of the install went fine.

Like was said before I don't know or understand why Ford didn't put these things on all of their trucks. Just driving around without a load I can feel a difference in how the truck handles. It really tightened up the back end. I can't wait until I put the pickup camper on and haul it around to really see how it feels.

I wanted to give a special thanks to Springer Pop for taking time to take some photos of which hole in the frame the end links bolt to. Thanks Pop! And thanks for the replies and photos from everyone at FTE.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyWonder
I wanted to update this thread now that I finally got a used rear sway bar assembly.

I paid $40 for the entire assembly at a pick-n-pull yard. It took about an hour to remove it from the wrecked truck. After cleaning it up with brake clean and lacquer thinner it didn't even have any rust to deal with.

Like was said before I don't know or understand why Ford didn't put these things on all of their trucks. Just driving around without a load I can feel a difference in how the truck handles. It really tightened up the back end. I can't wait until I put the pickup camper on and haul it around to really see how it feels.
Can you tell the difference?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
"Just driving around without a load I can feel a difference in how the truck handles. It really tightened up the back end."

He said it did.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
The first day that I drove the truck without a load I could tell a difference in how the rear of the truck handled.

Yesterday I put about 100 miles of driving in with the Pickup Camper on the truck. Driving the interstate, in heavy rain, quite a bit of wind (20-40 mph) and cruising at speed it handled like a dream. I'm so glad that I installed the rear sway bar.

Below are two pictures that SpringerPop took of the end links and where they attach to the frame. In my haste in removing them from the wrecked truck I didn't take note of which bolt hole they went in.

Driver's side.

Passenger's side.