Sponsored by: Moser

Ford Extended Warranty and Service Plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Iceman31
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Extended Warranty and Service Plan

I recently traded my 2011 Ford F150 on a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500. On the Ford I had both Extended Warranty and a Service Plan. I contacted Ford Canada and they told me that In order to cancel those plans I would have to contact the selling dealer. I contacted them this morning and here is their response:

First question - Did you buy another Ford? - My answer No I did not

Second E-mail I received was this:

Ok, thats too bad to hear that. Unfortunately the warranty and service plan can only be cancelled if the vehicle was written off or if you purchased a new plan on a new vehicle then the credits could be applied to it. Thats why I asked if you got another ford. Sorry.

I have asked Ford Canada to clarify this answer as I think it is complete bull.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Not a happy camper right now.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Typically, a lot of service plans will pro-rate. Do you happen to have any of the original literature? Or try PM'ing the ford representative that surfs this site... I believe her name is Crystal?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Horse Doctor
Junior User
That doesn't sound right. I sold my truck and had a refund within a week or so. I bought my next truck sometime after that.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM
thomastl
Senior User
For the Ford warrenty the process that I just went thru in the US is: you provide the original selling dealer with a copy of the odometer certification that you signed as part of the trade. That identifies the VIN number, mileage, and date of trade. The dealership requests the refund and provides you with a check. It is pro-rated.

As for the service plan - I have never had one so not sure on that one.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
evilwunn
Junior User
Originally Posted by thomastl
For the Ford warrenty the process is that I just went thru in the US is: you provide the original selling dealer with a copy of the odometer certification that you signed as part of the trade. That identifies the VIN number, mileage, and date of trade. The dealership requests the refund and provides you with a check. It is pro-rated.

As for the service plan - I have never had one so not sure on that one.
That's what I had to do also and I received a check in a month or so.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Iceman31
I recently traded my 2011 Ford F150 on a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500. On the Ford I had both Extended Warranty and a Service Plan. I contacted Ford Canada and they told me that In order to cancel those plans I would have to contact the selling dealer. I contacted them this morning and here is their response:

First question - Did you buy another Ford? - My answer No I did not

Second E-mail I received was this:

Ok, thats too bad to hear that. Unfortunately the warranty and service plan can only be cancelled if the vehicle was written off or if you purchased a new plan on a new vehicle then the credits could be applied to it. Thats why I asked if you got another ford. Sorry.

I have asked Ford Canada to clarify this answer as I think it is complete bull.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Not a happy camper right now.
Hi Iceman31,

I'm sad to hear that you have left the Ford Family. The information your dealer provided is correct; an ESP can only be transferred to another Ford and not reimbursed for cash.

If you have any other question regarding this issue, I encourage you to contact the dealer you purchased the ESP from. They are in the best position to help.

Bianca

Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Horse Doctor
Junior User
Is this a new policy? In June of 2012 I sold my old truck to a local Ford Dealer. Within a short time I received a pro-rated refund.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi Iceman31,

I'm sad to hear that you have left the Ford Family. The information your dealer provided is correct; an ESP can only be transferred to another Ford and not reimbursed for cash.

If you have any other question regarding this issue, I encourage you to contact the dealer you purchased the ESP from. They are in the best position to help.

Bianca

So what you're saying is if you purchase a Ford ESP either from the dealer or online and you don't use it all and you don't replace your Ford with another Ford, then you're just stuck?

Does the ESP have no value at all? Does it stay with the truck regardless of who owns it?

This may be good info for people who are considering a Ford ESP either at purchase or after the purchase, such as myself.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi Iceman31,

Bianca
Welcome to ford....their customer service SUCKS if you aren't a huge fleet buyer. I see how every ford dealership treats regular customers, a recent move to TX and I had the power fold portion of the mirror fail. Took it into the dealer and Ford denied the warranty claiming the mirror had struck an object. When I called our ford rep suddenly they had a change of heart and made a "mistake" by saying it was damage. It's all a game to ford to keep warranty claims as low as possible and deny anything and everything.

Originally Posted by tseekins
So what you're saying is if you purchase a Ford ESP either from the dealer or online and you don't use it all and you don't replace your Ford with another Ford, then you're just stuck?

Does the ESP have no value at all? Does it stay with the truck regardless of who owns it?

This may be good info for people who are considering a Ford ESP either at purchase or after the purchase, such as myself.
Yes it is transferrable, at least in the states. I can not remember if it is a 100 or 50 dollar fee. It should add value to the price of the car if you sell it outright, to a dealer they could care less most of the time.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by tseekins

Hi tseekins,

Your dealership will be able to answer those questions once you decide to purchase an ESP. Those are all pertinent questions to ask.

Originally Posted by Horse Doctor
Is this a new policy? In June of 2012 I sold my old truck to a local Ford Dealer. Within a short time I received a pro-rated refund.
Hi Horse Doctor,

Policies vary from Canada to the US. If you live in the US, the policies might be different. Again, these are pertinent questions that dealerships can easily answer.

Bianca

Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM
msalyer
Senior User
The way I understand it......in US it the balance IS refundable. In Canada it IS NOT.