lets see some 'homemade' fixes!

Here's a couple if mine..

Pull strap

Wore out gear selector pin

Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Don't have any pictures but back in 1985, when I bought the Pumpkin the exhaust was shot. The muffler was rotted out pretty bad.
At the time I didn't have the money for a new exhaust (I wanted duals) so I took some Mountain Dew cans and cut the top and bottom off, then slit the side so I ended up with a flat piece of metal. I took them, I forget how many, and wrapped them around the muffler. Then I took tie wire and secured everything.
I probably drove it six months like that before I had the money saved up for the exhaust.
That same system (the duals) was still on it when I retired her 11 years later and, in fact, that same exhaust is still sitting in my backyard.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No pics either, '77 F150 4×4, driving home from work after picking my daughter from daycare. Prob ten months old asleep in the car seat. Turned corner and the last bolt fell outta the rag joint. Put her in the ditch. No bolts , but had a 302 laying in the bed. Stole two bolts from the intake...cool.... crap no nuts.
hmmm. Smoke cig and think a bit. Ah ha, body clips behind the city horns. Drove her home and never did put those horns back on the rad support.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I've done my share of shadetree repairs to get home or get it running but I don't leave hacks in place. My last one was breaking the shift linkage on my PT coming out of the toll gates on the Oakland-SF Bay Bridge on my way to a SF Giants game. My repair was to strip a length of power cord for its copper wire to secure the cable's eye to the tranny's shift lever. I shifted gingerly all the way to the ballpark and we only missed two pitches after getting our beers and Sheboygan brats.

I get very leery when I see that kind of stuff in a vehicle I am interested in because that tells me there might be other questionable 'repairs' hidden elsewhere. It's all good if it's your rig but watch buyers run for the hills if and when it is time to sell.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Don't have any pictures but back in 1985, when I bought the Pumpkin the exhaust was shot. The muffler was rotted out pretty bad.
At the time I didn't have the money for a new exhaust (I wanted duals) so I took some Mountain Dew cans and cut the top and bottom off, then slit the side so I ended up with a flat piece of metal. I took them, I forget how many, and wrapped them around the muffler. Then I took tie wire and secured everything.
I probably drove it six months like that before I had the money saved up for the exhaust.
That same system (the duals) was still on it when I retired her 11 years later and, in fact, that same exhaust is still sitting in my backyard.
Now that is cool! You would laugh if you same all my cheap-O fixes I did on my build.. but hey, at what point is a rig so good it isn't a rig anymore? Lol

This is under my dually

Originally Posted by xkpsanit
No pics either, '77 F150 4×4, driving home from work after picking my daughter from daycare. Prob ten months old asleep in the car seat. Turned corner and the last bolt fell outta the rag joint. Put her in the ditch. No bolts , but had a 302 laying in the bed. Stole two bolts from the intake...cool.... crap no nuts.
hmmm. Smoke cig and think a bit. Ah ha, body clips behind the city horns. Drove her home and never did put those horns back on the rad support.
Oh man that's so weird, I was pulling one of my old trucks across our land with my lil bro steering and the rag broke.. you would have thought he was dying lol.. I bet that was scarry with a baby on board though!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I've done my share of shadetree repairs to get home or get it running but I don't leave hacks in place. My last one was breaking the shift linkage on my PT coming out of the toll gates on the Oakland-SF Bay Bridge on my way to a SF Giants game. My repair was to strip a length of power cord for its copper wire to secure the cable's eye to the tranny's shift lever. I shifted gingerly all the way to the ballpark and we only missed two pitches after getting our beers and Sheboygan brats.

I get very leery when I see that kind of stuff in a vehicle I am interested in because that tells me there might be other questionable 'repairs' hidden elsewhere. It's all good if it's your rig but watch buyers run for the hills if and when it is time to sell.
I hear ya about shady repairs.. what sucks is buying a used car and driving it for awhile then finding a terrible, possibly life threatening fix from the PO.. like you said, a good beer will get ya back in the game

Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
Come on now, I fixed the rag joint. Six more years and she is going to need a car...er truck.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM
xkpsanit
More Turbo
The ultimate classic. My brother developed a pin hole in his heater hose on his chebby. Side of the road and cold. We had a lawn shears in the truck, so he had an idea. On the count of three, he was going to pull the hose off, I cut four inches off (pin hole and all) and he slams in back on with minimal coolant loss. 1,2,3,snip,blang. Success.... but I cut the pointer finger tip off his glove. "Whoa, that was close"

Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
DDogbreath
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing an extensive rejuvenation on a 94 f-250 2WD 5.0 work truck I am now in the process of painting the frame that has become unusually rusty considering it is an Arizona truck. I came across two ground straps that went frame to grill and frame to cab. I decided to yank them off as they were the "slip on clip type" and replace them with decent bolted on cables

I'm glad I did that after seeing the corrosion that got under the rivets when I drilled them out. I wanted to secure the ugly frayed insulation on the EGR valve tube with the braided cable piece. 3 wraps and a screw, nut , and trim voila!

Then I took the clips they polished up nicely on the wire wheel (Stainless Steel) And with a little bending sand trimming fixed the MOST ANNOYING Broken part common with these trucks.

Here is the stock non broken (yet) one.

Here is the old ground strap clip made into a visor hanger that will not break off. I ground down the stock base and screwed it on. Worked great the first try. I am also going to add 2 more hangers to the sides to keep the visors from flopping around when used on side windows, I just hate that...

I hope someone will use this and FOMOCO hires me for an engineering position.

Last edited by DDogbreath; 08-08-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add picture
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Now that's a couple of nice fixes dog breath! May have to steal you're visor idea

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by xkpsanit
The ultimate classic. My brother developed a pin hole in his heater hose on his chebby. Side of the road and cold. We had a lawn shears in the truck, so he had an idea. On the count of three, he was going to pull the hose off, I cut four inches off (pin hole and all) and he slams in back on with minimal coolant loss. 1,2,3,snip,blang. Success.... but I cut the pointer finger tip off his glove. "Whoa, that was close"
Glad y'all got home, fingertips attached and all!!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM
DDogbreath
Freshman User
Thank You! The Visor clip went from the "think tank" to the production line in under 10 minutes. I can dangle off that visor now if I feel t
he urge... LOL

Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 AM
LI250
Senior User
Stop the tailgate arms from rattling.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
robs_seven
Junior User
I think have probably posted these somewhere on here before but here's mine

Worn out steering joint = this..... Cut the old one off and keyed the new one

Vent selector not working = left over plumbing supplies from a bathroom remodel

New drop bracket I made

Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM
78ferd
Freshman User
I don't know how to post pics but i couldnt get my turn signal switch to work in my column so i had a large l bracket laying around so i mounted it to the right of the parking brake now i can toggle the signals on and off with my left foot haha.

Quick Reply: lets see some 'homemade' fixes!