1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Water in motor. Now wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in motor. Now wont start.

1998 van with 7.3, my old worktruck- I want to use this motor for a core to rebuild for another project and would like to make sure it runs before I pull it out of chassis.
Problem is it was flooded in storm last October, saltwater was up to top bellhousing bolts. A week later got batteries, starter and found some water in oil, drained it filled with new oil and it fired right up. Ran it for minute or two, repeated that once more, motor started to stumble shut it down would not start again. Figured water in fuel and let it sit 9 months until last week.....
Drained fuel tank and fuel bowl, filled with fresh fuel and filter and threw a charger on batteries. Next day all excited went to start it and would barely turn over. Jumped with my truck and it was a little better but would not kick even with ether. Got new batteries and same thing, just does not want to spin and wouldn't fire even with ether. Oil is clean and I figured that even if its not perfect I should've ran it and flushed it enough to save the motor.
I started the thread to opinions on what could be locked up and what to look for as far as damage from the water. Should I just scrap all wire harnesses? I hear that the cps is a common problem on these motors and that was definitely under water. Is there a way to test the cps sensor? (No tach)
Next I was thinking to pull tranny and remove converter, put it back together and see if the tranny is holding it up. Tranny appears to have a bunch of water in it as well and that I never drained.
All help is appreciated - Thanks

Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you are rebuilding it what does it matter if it runs?

If its barely spinning then it could be bad connection. Try cleaning all battery and starter terminals. It could also be a bad starter.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:52 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I hydrolocked my motor once with a water injection system when the check valve failed. Filled the whole motor up with water. After sucking the water out of the cylinders after removing the GP's, I turned it over and water flew all over. The motor wasn't hurt and runs great.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 AM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
If you are rebuilding it what does it matter if it runs?

If its barely spinning then it could be bad connection. Try cleaning all battery and starter terminals. It could also be a bad starter.
Good point. I am worried that more stuff will be fried than is worth replacing, mainly electrical stuff. Figured if I had it running at least I would know what I was working with. Weird stuff happens when saltwater gets in stuff and sits for weeks.

Starter was new after the flood and at that point it fired right up. I will double check connections.