1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Bowl Rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Fuel Bowl Rebuild questions

Alright, I have been looking all over for the fuel bowl rebuild info and have most of it figured out.I am getting ready to order the o-ring kit from dieselorings and the hoses as well. Anything else I will need for this? Also, when I drain the fuel bowl and refill after I am done, is there any priming of the fuel system needed or is it pretty straight forward?

yeah, leaking fuel enough to have it in the valley of death and leaving drops overnight, not to mention the diesel smell coming into the cab. I don't mind it so much, but the wife and little girlie, not so much.

If anyone wants to come walk me through this, there will be unlimited Coors on ice. Nate? Travis?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Just refill the bowl and start it

Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
Just refill the bowl and start it
Thanks Mike! Coors on the way! Might be a bit warm though

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the inside bottom of your fuel bowl . Mine was rotted out and caused the diesel in the valley . Fixed it with job weld . Worked fine until I deleted my fuel bowl. The rebuild was simple . I did however bought new factory fuel lines to go between the bowl and the pump .

Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dieselsubmariner
Check the inside bottom of your fuel bowl . Mine was rotted out and caused the diesel in the valley . Fixed it with job weld . Worked fine until I deleted my fuel bowl. The rebuild was simple . I did however bought new factory fuel lines to go between the bowl and the pump .
I am really curious about deleting it altogether. How is it done? I have also been wanting to install the FP gauge I have seen to keep an eye on fuel pressure.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do the tight wad mod and delete the fuel bowl. You have to modify the FPR and add a remote filter, but I would just do e-fuel and be done with it if you wanted to get rid of the bowl.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
There are the banjo bolt washers ,fuel pump,return line seals at the rear connection at the heads on both sides also.replace,reseal it all at once or toss it and do e-fuel.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ReBilld
You can do the tight wad mod and delete the fuel bowl. You have to modify the FPR and add a remote filter, but I would just do e-fuel and be done with it if you wanted to get rid of the bowl.
Originally Posted by fordman67
There are the banjo bolt washers ,fuel pump,return line seals at the rear connection at the heads on both sides also.replace,reseal it all at once or toss it and do e-fuel.
last time I mentioned E fuel,I think Travis said to not even worry about it until injectors (sorry Travis) I can't afford to do that much until September. Might one of you you guys have the parts list/cost or is there another thread already dedicated to this? I have looked but only find mentions of everything.

I need to get this dang truck tight!!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
And Bill, I would be STOKED to get rid of the bowl!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built my own e-fuel system for less than $350. Travis is right, you don't really need it until you do injectors, but if you have the bowl and everything already out, it would be a good time to do it. I say that because I just got tired of fuel leaks. I rebuilt my bowl, installed a new pump, plugged the fuel restriction sensor and still had leaks.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Man that would make me absolutely nuts!!! Well, I can't really do much until the end of August, so I guess I'll just reseal everything and then look at what I need to do. The bowl itself looks easy enough to remove?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Man that would make me absolutely nuts!!! Well, I can't really do much until the end of August, so I guess I'll just reseal everything and then look at what I need to do. The bowl itself looks easy enough to remove?
Easy to remove, I hate putting them back in. That's why I went to e fuel when my pump started leaking. Mine was done for around 350, thanks to a couple of nice fellas on this site!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel bad ya already bought stuff to re-do the bowl. I told myself id either do e-fuel when i upgraded injectors or when the bowl was leaking terribly.
lol
Either way tho here's some helpful links!
TJ's writeup has a good bit of parts listed: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-compelte.html

And King's is helpful as well: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gs-e-fuel.html

You can modify the builds to your liking. Basically you just need to have a pump with two filters and some lines in the valley with a regulator.
Kinda putting that simply, but just to get the idea across.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager
Easy to remove, I hate putting them back in. That's why I went to e fuel when my pump started leaking. Mine was done for around 350, thanks to a couple of nice fellas on this site!
From what I can see with my mini Maglight, it's two bolts that hold it to the intake? Sorry if this is repetitive but I couldn't find any write-up on fuel bowl removal and replacement. guess I could google it, but that does not always guarantee anything.

Originally Posted by Awitte58
I feel bad ya already bought stuff to re-do the bowl. I told myself id either do e-fuel when i upgraded injectors or when the bowl was leaking terribly.
lol
Either way tho here's some helpful links!
TJ's writeup has a good bit of parts listed: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-compelte.html

And King's is helpful as well: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gs-e-fuel.html

You can modify the builds to your liking. Basically you just need to have a pump with two filters and some lines in the valley with a regulator.
Kinda putting that simply, but just to get the idea across.
Thanks Alex! Those do help. The parts were only $20, so no big deal there. Even if I didn't use them and went with e fuel, I'd just give them to another member who needed them.

Heck for $500, I'd almost pay someone to do the whole thing. Looking at all of those parts and getting the right stuff seems overwhelming, but I like doing it myself, so I'll figure it out.

Quick Reply: Fuel Bowl Rebuild questions