Sponsored by:

Trans temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
greenwoodford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans temp gauge

Yesterday I installed a trans temp gauge. I've been wanting to do this for a while but hadn't gotten around to it. I couldn't justify $150+ for a gauge so I got an Equus gauge from oriellys and a single gauge pod from jegs. I was worried that if I ordered paint online that it wouldn't match so I took the A pillar to Lowes and had them color match it. They mixed the paint (sampler sized) and I used a foam brush to paint the gauge pod. It turned out very well with the only flaw being the pod is a little more shiny than the A pillar. The gauge came with a sending unit and I used the test port on the drivers side of the transmission; didn't even need any of the adapters it came with. I used one of the customer access wires for the sending unit wire to the gauge. The wires were very easy to find under the hood but it took some digging to find them under the dash; mine were up behind the OBD II port. I tapped into the light dimmer switch directly behind the light switch (very easy).

So far it looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that the gauge pod has a gap between it and the A pillar. It seems like the plastic push pins that came with the pod are too flimsy. If any one has any ideas for that please let me know. I have a couple of pictures that I'll post later.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
I didn't use the push pins, I used double sticky foam tape.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
I too wanted gauges but didn't want to spend a fortune on them, I like the look of the Glowshift TowMax series and the price wasn't too bad at $68 per or so. Having both the sweep dial guage face as well as the digital readout is pretty cool, easy to take a quick glance while driving without having to focus too closely on the small dail numbers. Eventually when the number of gauges grows I'll be looking at the 4 gauge overhead pod, for now my trans and rear temp gauges are mounted in my radio console in front of the factory console.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/MaxTo...ure-Gauge.aspx

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
greenwoodford
Senior User
X-hibition-- does the double sided tape hold the pod well? It would seem to me that there isn't enough flat area on the pod where it makes contact with the A pillar to be effective.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I too wanted gauges but didn't want to spend a fortune on them, I like the look of the Glowshift TowMax series and the price wasn't too bad at $68 per or so. Having both the sweep dial guage face as well as the digital readout is pretty cool, easy to take a quick glance while driving without having to focus too closely on the small dail numbers. Eventually when the number of guages grows I'll be looking at the 4 guage overhead pod, for now my trans and rear temp guages are mounted in my radio console in front of the factory console.
GlowShift | MaxTow Double Vision Trans Temp Gauge with Electronic Temperature Sensor
Rear temp? As in rear diff? What's that usually run? I've been thinking of adding a trans temp, engine water temp, engine oil temp and rear diff temp.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Rear temp? As in rear diff? What's that usually run? I've been thinking of adding a trans temp, engine water temp, engine oil temp and rear diff temp.

I had shot the cover temp a few times with an IR temp gun while pulling at fuel/pit stops and it seemed to run fairly hot 225' or so on warm to hot days with the TH in tow. That was with the stock gears, so I figured with the 4.88's that there would be more "action" in there so I got an engine oil temp gauge, drilled and tapped a brass plug and mounted the sensor in the fill port. The only distance trip I've run with it was to/from Philly and Savannah, the ambient temps were around 70' and I saw between 190' and 215' while running 63 to 65 MPH on the highway pulling the 9500lb TH. I'll be pulling again in a couple of weeks so I should then see how high it runs on a hot day. There isn't much info out there on what "normal" temps are.
I plan to add additional gauges for engine oil pressure, oil temp, voltage and onboard air pressure. I get my water temp as well as a lot of other data from my Ultra-Gauge.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You guys know that the ScanGauge II reports most of those (trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp) from the OBD2 port, right? And it's almost as if it were made to fit in the cubby hole.

Am I missing something here? Is the trans temp not accurate?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I had shot the cover temp a few times with an IR temp gun while pulling at fuel/pit stops and it seemed to run fairly hot 225' or so on warm to hot days with the TH in tow. That was with the stock gears, so I figured with the 4.88's that there would be more "action" in there so I got an engine oil temp gauge, drilled and tapped a brass plug and mounted the sensor in the fill port. The only distance trip I've run with it was to/from Philly and Savannah, the ambient temps were around 70' and I saw between 190' and 215' while running 63 to 65 MPH on the highway pulling the 9500lb TH. I'll be pulling again in a couple of weeks so I should then see how high it runs on a hot day. There isn't much info out there on what "normal" temps are.
I plan to add additional gauges for engine oil pressure, oil temp, voltage and onboard air pressure. I get my water temp as well as a lot of other data from my Ultra-Gauge.

I have never shot the temps with a gun yet, and I haven't found info on how hot is too hot either. I know I could hold my hand on the diff for 10-15 sec b4 I couldn't stand it anymore. I've done 150 mile pulls at 75 mph twice now, and everything seems good. But I'd like to see the temps just so I know..

Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
You guys know that the ScanGauge II reports most of those (trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp) from the OBD2 port, right? And it's almost as if it were made to fit in the cubby hole.

I find a standard guage with a needle is easier to read at a glance. Idk about everyone else, but that's why I like adding guages. And the fact the factory in dash ones have no #s. lol

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I find a standard guage with a needle is easier to read at a glance. Idk about everyone else, but that's why I like adding guages. And the fact the factory in dash ones have no #s. lol
I see. Yeah, I have two display settings for the SG2. One for normal driving (ECT, EOT, BST, AVG MPG) and for towing I run (Trans temp, oil temp, AVG MPG, fuel consumption)

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts

No, you're not missing anything. Many people are only familiar with the old school method of measuring temperatures. The temperatures that you can read from the OBDII port are the most accurate that you can get.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, they work fine.
I read it with my android smartphone using the Torque Pro app.
Works great and you can set alarms too.

For the rear diff there is no obd2 data so you'd still have to add a sensor.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod

I don't think the V-10 reports the oil pressure or oil temp via the OBD2 port like the PSD. (But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time ) My Ultra-Gauge gives me the water temp and and a whole bunch of other data with a bigger screen, more data points per screen, multiple pages that can scoll automatically and all for a cheaper price than the ScanGauge II. Unfortunately the Ultra-gauge builders failed on their promise to include Ford trans temps on the latest updates to the unit, bummer. They also don't support the custom PIDs like the SG II does. UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center Pretty cool little gadget for the price.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Originally Posted by greenwoodford
X-hibition-- does the double sided tape hold the pod well? It would seem to me that there isn't enough flat area on the pod where it makes contact with the A pillar to be effective.
Mine was the triple gauge pillar mount and the tape was great, and I used a lot of it.

But that was the old days, now I use my use my Banks iQ for my gauges.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM
greenwoodford
Senior User
I would love to have a neat toy like the scan gauge but I can't bring myself to drop the money for it. What trans temps are y'all seeing? I've driven the truck to work a couple days after I put the gauge in and it hasn't gotten over 160*. My drive is a fairly easy highway run that is about 15 miles.

Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge