Sponsored by:

what is this spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is this spring?

I bought V and B codes from a superduty yard. They gave me two V code, two B code, but two more single leafs labeled B code. Any clue what they are?

Left to right:
B code, B code, V code, V code, two single leafs labeled b code

Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
They are the top overload leaves from a set of B codes, the SD trucks have extra frame mounted pads that our EXs don't so they are not needed for an EX spring swap, and if left on the spring pack they can hit and damage the rear AC lines. My B codes had them so when I took them off I figured waste not, want not so I added them to my front X codes for a little extra lift. In this picture the stock SD B codes are on top with the overload leaf in place, next down is a stock X code and on the bottom is my modded X code with the B code top overload leaf added to it.

Good luck with your swap! Don't forget to take lots of pics.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
4x4x
Freshman User
What did the overload springs do to the x code springs? Thinking about adding it to my v codes. Not wanting to lift it much more, but would like it a little firmer. Will the overload spring accomplish this?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by 4x4x
What did the overload springs do to the x code springs? Thinking about adding it to my v codes. Not wanting to lift it much more, but would like it a little firmer. Will the overload spring accomplish this?

My spring swap cheatsheet (compiled from mamy many threads here on FTE) say that X codes will raise the front of a V-10 Ex by 2.9" my modded X codes gave me 3 7/8" up front. So an extra inch or so, it does ride firm now but I never tried it with the stock X codes so I don't know how much ride difference the extra leaf made. Member Tylus just modded his factory front springs on his EX with a leaf from the old factory rears and I think he also saw about an inch.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
ccllud
Senior User
I plan on putting on a front end replacement bumper (one of those 1000+ lb ones) in the next few months, so should I add the B code extra spring to my V codes?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Member Tylus just modded his factory front springs on his EX with a leaf from the old factory rears and I think he also saw about an inch.
I initially saw +1" up front. but after 2-3 days of looking for speed bumps and letting things settle back out, I'm only at 0.5" gained height.

I did gain more firmness up front. it's subtle, but there. I highly recommend. Only added 1 leaf from the original rear leafs to the front pack
Originally Posted by ccllud
I plan on putting on a front end replacement bumper (one of those 1000+ lb ones) in the next few months, so should I add the B code extra spring to my V codes?
I would!

even a 300-400 lbs bumper will be nicely offset by the extra leaf. You already have it, so why not use it. Save money

Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Ok so I will do the V code plus the B code overload leaf, and then I have the B codes on the back. What size of Ubolts did you use?

Should I do the modded B code on the rear to match the front (bear in mind I will have a front end replacement in a few months)

Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
ccllud
Senior User
Ok so after doing some more research I think ill do the modded V code up front and the normal B code in the back (im banking on the heavy replacement bumper bringing the front back down to level)

I read this: There have been posts where guys have done the B's on the rear, kept the stock flat block, and have driveline vibrations that were solved by swapping in the tapered blocks.
How common is this and what exactly is driveline vibrations?

And im confused on U bolt hieghts, anyone know exactly what to get?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

go down to a suspension shop. Look in the yellow pages. they'll custom bend a set for you. I paid $70 for mine.

Get u-bolts that are 1.5" longer than your current ones. Keep in mind the rear u-bolts are 5/8" diameter, and the fronts are smaller. Can't remember that size.

As far as the springs, I personally would do the Modded V up front and the Modded B out back. After the bumper is installed, do an evaluation and see if you like the stance. The rear axle is a joke to adjust springs with. I would rather have the extra height, and remove a leaf later if needed. Until you get that bumper though, your X will be sitting Bulldog stance. I can't stand that myself

btw, get qty:4 of 7/16x20 bolt that is 4.5-5" long for the spring packs if you do the modded B rear leafs. The factory bolt is a 7/16x20 that is 3.5" long rear, 7/16x20 that is 2" long front. You'll need the extra length if you add leafs. Same for the fronts, but I didn't measure it out. cut it to fit after leaf pack is assembled

The front can be a bear to align. I used ratchet straps to pull the axle fwd/back as needed to align things so I could bolt it up. Then a bottle jack was used to raise/lower the axle to align the other holes.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Turns out I was wrong and its one of the ~300lb bumpers, I dont know why I was thinking 1000lb. For the front spring pack to add the leaf to the V codes, I use a 7/16x20 by 3.5inch long and cut it down, where do I get a bolt like that?

I am probably going to have the springs installed, I need to find a spring shop in dallas that can make the ubolts and hopefully install it, if not my mechanic.

and how easy would it be to remove the extra leaf from the modded B codes to make them just Bcodes?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by ccllud
I use a 7/16x20 by 3.5inch long and cut it down, where do I get a bolt like that?
Home Depot in the Bolt aisle

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM
ccllud
Senior User
Oh ok I didnt know if i had to get anything special. Should i locktite it or anything or just straight bolt and nut?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
I just used hardware store grade 8 bolts and matching nylock locking nuts. Just check and make sure the bolt head will fit through the spring plate hole it's centered into, may have to open up the hole a hair or round off the bolt head corners a bit........or not.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Just to make sure this is correct before ordering:
V code springs PLUS the top overload from B codes (stock plus 1.5 inches) is not on husky/rockauto so I need to find a place to order those. Should be 9/16 x 3 x 11 and be semi round square?

Modded B Code Ubolt is HUSKY SPRING Part # UA207R which is "4WD; w/ Helper Springs; 5/8" X 3 5/8" X 13 1/2" Round Bend; w/ Deep Nuts & Thick Hardened Washers; For Rear Spring"

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Finally some progress pics! Since I am having a shop do the actual spring change I cant mod my B codes myself, but I can add the leaf to the V codes.

I didnt have a spacer, so I used the plastic one off the B codes (to be replaced from the excursion thicker ones).

My bolt is too long so I am going back tomorrow to get shorter ones and do the other side.

Quick Reply: what is this spring?