1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L Valves Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
5.4L Valves Ticking

I'm assuming its a valve.

2004 F250 with 5.4L. 128,000 miles. Oil changed every 4K but its my work truck. She works hard for a living towing landscape trailers 98% of the time.

When the engine is first cranked, there is a ticking sound from the right side. Its quite noticeable but only does this until I get going. Once I get to driving, it fades away. If I turn the engine off and let it sit for a little while, when I start it, the ticking is back again. As long as I keep it running, it stays quiet.

If this is a valve or rocker arm, how big of a repair is it? What happens if I don't deal with it until the winter (off-season)?

I've tried Marvel Mystery Oil and now with this oil change, I have Rislone in there. Both have made no difference.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, drain all that snake oil crap out of the engine, it does nothing. There is no rocker arms in these trucks but cam followers instead. I would look for broken exhaust manifold studs. They tend to break over time and can cause many strange noises. Other brand oil filters have been known to cause issues as well due to a bad design. Run a motorcraft FL820s if you don't already.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I echo Kdr advice , put on a motorcraft filter and check for broken exhast studs..

Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Id say exhaust manifolds

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes exhaust manifold bolts do break all the time in these and few of the other engines but I'm sort of skeptical due to the fact it's intermittent. common spark plug issues on these too, by spitting them out and breaking COP... sometimes generates a ticking noise when a plug could be walking out. Have you checked for any pending codes in the system? Just curious.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say you have some broken exhaust manifold studs,Normally you here ticking when engine is cold once engine warms up noise goes away because heat expands metal sealing the leak .If you have broken studs causing the ticking noise it will only get worst and if you let it go too long you could cause head damage

Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
My V10 does the same thing and it is NOT an exhaust stud. Mine has about 115K on it ans it sits for days between uses. When I first start it, it seems like it takes a few seconds for the ticking (mine isn't one tick, but several, just like lifter noise) to subside. I quit worrying since the oil looks clean and is changed often and it hasn't gotten worse.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Just a long-term follow-up. It actually took me this long to get it into a shop. I bought a new F350 so I finally had time to park this truck long enough for a repair. Fortunately it held on through the summer.

It was indeed the exhaust manifold studs. She's already getting new ones installed and should be ready the first of next week. Thanks everyone

Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Gangly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely not a broke exhaust bolt. As the engine warms up, the components within the engine expand and the tolerances/gaps between certain components closes. With the valve train, many problems/noises cease or clear up once the valvetrain has warmed up and everything has expanded but reappear when things cool down again. This is often times and indication of worn valve train components and needs to be addressed quickly.

My primary experience is with OHV motors and you can simply take the valve covers off and run the motor to check for slop in the valve train and adjust accordingly. Im not sure if you can do that with an OHC motor, but my first priority would be to check your clearances within the valvetrain.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangly
Most likely not a broke exhaust bolt. As the engine warms up, the components within the engine expand and the tolerances/gaps between certain components closes. With the valve train, many problems/noises cease or clear up once the valvetrain has warmed up and everything has expanded but reappear when things cool down again. This is often times and indication of worn valve train components and needs to be addressed quickly.

My primary experience is with OHV motors and you can simply take the valve covers off and run the motor to check for slop in the valve train and adjust accordingly. Im not sure if you can do that with an OHC motor, but my first priority would be to check your clearances within the valvetrain.
How are you going to adjust the valve train since it consists of hydraulic lash adjusters?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
Just a long-term follow-up. It actually took me this long to get it into a shop. I bought a new F350 so I finally had time to park this truck long enough for a repair. Fortunately it held on through the summer.

It was indeed the exhaust manifold studs. She's already getting new ones installed and should be ready the first of next week. Thanks everyone
Glad it wasn't anything major, thanks for the follow up

Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow...amazing it took that long to get in the shop. The only reason it did hold up so long was due to the fact the problems were broken bolts. Had it been anything else, it more than likely wouldn't have made it. Glad to hear the update as well and all is well now @Lawnspecialties

Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties

Originally Posted by Gangly

No, it WAS an exhaust stud. I had them go ahead and replace them all on that side and they had the header smoothed down to make sure it wasn't warped.

Now quiet as ever. She's back to work now.