Sponsored by: Moser

Mild Restoration 73 F100 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM
EXPF100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mild Restoration 73 F100 Explorer

Hi all, I seem to get directed to this site when looking for answers online to questions I have regarding a mild restoration of a very nice original, supposed 55K mile 73 F100 ordered special in Arkansas. I have some pictures I will eventually post, but more questions I need with help now with more than anything. Although I have historically had older GM cars in my stable, I now have this Ford and don't know much about them compared to GM products. Please don't hold that against me! I am an enthusiast of all vintage American autos. I'm not used to the "forum" technique, so bare with me while I figure it out. For starters.... here are my fresh areas of concern. Some similar questions have led me to this site.

1) Just replaced the cluster printed circuit with new from NPD ( my backing housing was in fine shape).....no improvements. In fact, now I have no cluster lamps at all (and those are new too). Gauges work fine. And so does the dimmer for the other lit features. It must be the ground wire..... but I have no clue where it would be attached -behind the IP or in the engine bay? I've replaced any gounds I can find in the engine bay already.

2) I've been trying to repair oil leaks that show up underneath. I started with new intake/valve cover gaskets....and it's seemed to diminish, but I still see some drops. I don't see a trail from the rear main. I've heard they're just going to leak. :-( Any other potential sources?....and see next item....

3) What really freaked me out...is just two days ago.... when I took the breather apart, several days after having removed it during the intake job, to see that it has oil in it. Now I know what this usually means ( I've blown a few motors myself), but then I looked at the filter. Strangest thing I'd ever seen..... but I found images of it online. It's an Oil Bath. It is factory installed on this truck. 73 302 2V. My question is? Is there any reason to change it? Everything is completely stock right now. There is some slight hesitation....like accel pump or the vacuum advance isn't working properly ( I've just rebuilt the 2100 carb, and accel pump was replaced ). Would this oil bath have anything to do with it? I've already ordered a Paper Version, but thought I would ask....It really runs great otherwise and I could deal with this.

There will no doubt be other questions as I complete this bit of work, and I'm happy to see so much enthusiasm as I've seen so far with the directs to this site. Hope I haven't hit my quota of words already!