AE Class II - Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
What? Worried about traction?
Yeah had a fellow FTE member stop by yesterday from one of the Carolina's so I could run AE on his truck. Hat was a long way just for a scan tool but hey what do I know. L we took his truck out, he has 140/0 SS an stock turbo with TS tunes. His truck was cutting out every now and then . Said h replaced CPS with one from the Irish store. I am letting him try my good black spare...he said it did he trick. He didn't know the others weren't good.

Any who, he was able to keep traction on his WOT runs. We then took mine out so I could show him how smooth and quiet mine runs with the in tank mods and FRX. He also as high perdels on 2of his stick WHICH I ave had plenty of experience with. So like you guessed no could not get the rubber to stick. I eventually put it in 4 hi. Then I told him about your TCLU dual stripes which I cannot do. Not sure if it because m tranny slips, II have bigger tires, you have more fuel, more air or a combo of all of it.

Needless to say he said he will be doing some mods while he is here in OCK for 6 weeks of training.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm pretty sure the added oomph of my bigger nozzles, the HD4R100, and a 90 degree day gave me an edge on the long burn. Believe me, that is one of those one-offs... but it was cool to learn Stinky could do that (and I had the camera ready). I don't take aim at the tires with the Buck$Zooka more than I have to.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEST FAILED

G'day Rich,

I tried using my AE today. It connected ok.
I checked DTCs and then I tried the KOEO self test.

I got: TEST FAILED: The device is busy. Try running the self test again.
It came up on all three occassions I tried this test???

What would be causing this to come up.
I didn't trust doing anything else so disconnected.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
"Device is busy"

I put giant text up there to make sure it gets spotted as future readers breeze through the page.

When your KOEO test failed, "Device is busy" is the clue here. When I referred to the Auto Enginuity manual (in PDF), I did a search for the term "device". Every instance of device referred to the computing device that AE is installed on. I have a "carputer", which means it sits in a bag until I drive Stinky (my only Ford). If I boot my carputer up within range of a wireless network, it could do a Windows Update without my knowledge. The only clue I have this is going on is the carputer starts to get sluggish, then that stupid "Windows will restart in X minutes" box. I don't know how many times that little yellow message popped up in the lower-right corner (or is that on the left side in Austrailia? ) while I was driving. I have stop to tell it to postpone rebooting for 4 hours, because using a touchpad and aiming an arrow on a tiny netbook gets tricky while driving... it can bend, break, and burst valuable stuff. This act is accompanied by a sailor-speak soundtrack. I'm seriously thinking of shutting off the wireless on the unit until I need it.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If I boot my carputer up within range of a wireless network, it could do a Windows Update without my knowledge.
You need to change your settings so it only checks for updates. That way you have control over what updates are downloaded, and when.

Stewart

Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You need to change your settings so it only checks for updates. That way you have control over what updates are downloaded, and when.

Stewart
Yeah... I know. The carputer gets so exposed every time I'm on the road that I'm a bit apprehensive to count on my memory to make sure it has the latest security updates. I do a pretty good job of charging it up and letting it update before a long trip, just not for day-to-day.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
ANALYSE THIS RICH....HIGH EGT CONT'

This is not an attempt to decode anyone's tuning. I just want to see if there are any glaring problems and understand the difference in the tunes.

Rich more info in email.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
That is one of the most bizarre things I've seen on in AE data. Mass Duel Desired is essentially throttle... but it can be influenced by other factors. MFD is telling the IPR to back off, the IPR is telling the ICP to back off, the ICP is backing off. For WOT, it's not very WOT. I would start by looking at your Throttle Position Sensor Volts (scale from 0-4V) with KOEO and slowly exercise the throttle. Look at the graph screen (or log the data), and make sure you hold it to the floor for about 10 seconds.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
That is one of the most bizarre things I've seen on in AE data. Mass Duel Desired is essentially throttle... but it can be influenced by other factors. MFD is telling the IPR to back off, the IPR is telling the ICP to back off, the ICP is backing off. For WOT, it's not very WOT. I would start by looking at your Throttle Position Sensor Volts (scale from 0-4V) with KOEO and slowly exercise the throttle. Look at the graph screen (or log the data), and make sure you hold it to the floor for about 10 seconds.
Thanks will do. I will have to.study your graph to understand what you are talking about.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Software Version 11.1.4 for AE

I got a new AutoEnginuity ProLine VCI USB (w/o the security dongle) back in May, hooked it up once or twice to get some data and play along in class, and all was fine. Today I tried to use it (becuase I need to!) and it would never connect, not to my F250 nor the better half's Chevy.

Called tech support, and they're sending me a new one. The reason for the post however is the Tech guy mentioned a new software version that specifically addresses some issues with Fords. It's a simple thing to contact them and have them send you a link, in case anyone's had issues with using AE.

From the AutoEnginuity Release Notes for Version 11.1.4:

ScanTool Version 11.1.4
-----------------------
Ford-family
• Fixed retrieving "All" DTCs losing the protocol for the current controller so live data and bidirectional controls fail to work after the DTC retrieval.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
What PIDs should I record?

I get this question so often now, that I thought it best to have the answer pre-fabbed. I always suggest to set your minimums and maximums so you can at least see the sensor reading on a graph at playback. If a maximum is set to 356, but the reading never goes higher than 3... then that would be a very useless graph. The list below covers the basics when monitoring the health of the 7.3L. If something calls your attention to it, then other tests and more forum searching may be in order... but this list addresses key components. If you record these in the driveway, the data will likely be very predictable - nothing to see here. If you tow and/or get on the freeway while recording, then you document how the system behaves when it matters. Any student of Murphy's Law know that this is the time when things go wrong... and wouldn't it be nice to record what went wrong? Of course... if you're a Murphy's Law purist, you know nothing will go wrong while recording - adding to the importance of recording.

These limits are for the majority of members - those with stock injectors and turbos (many tuned). If you carry big sticks, some of the limits will need dialing.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 AM
Edogsf350
Senior User
I was hoping that in the very near future you would buy a 6.0 or maybe borrow one long term?
I've read every post on this subject and wish you could do this for the 6.0 guys

Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Edogsf350
I was hoping that in the very near future you would buy a 6.0 or maybe borrow one long term?
I've read every post on this subject and wish you could do this for the 6.0 guys
Not wanting to be overly facetious... but wouldn't that mean the end of personal time for me?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Not wanting to be overly facetious... but wouldn't that mean the end of personal time for me?
well yes it would...lol.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM
TKegs763
Senior User
Figuring Out My "Miss"

Last edited by TKegs763; 08-16-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Cant copy

Quick Reply: AE Class II - Troubleshooting