1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help...how to get money back from dealer for service work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some help...how to get money back from dealer for service work?

Long story short: AC stopped working. Dealer replaced compressor and a bunch of other parts for a LOT of money. AC works better, but will warm 20 degrees when accelerating from a stoplight. Its been back 3 times for it, and they cannot find the problem or admit one exists. I want some of my money back or something...how does one go about this? I might be able to dispute the charge with the credit company but i doubt it. Im not paying that kind of money for 'good enough'.

What's the process?

My plan is to first take it to an independent shop and show them the problem and confirm that it IS a problem and potentially have it repaired. If that ends up being right, then I will contact the dealership and give them one chance to refund the cost of the repair I had to find and fix for them. If they do not, ill file a complaint with the BBB for the same solution. Is the reasonable?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
Long story short: AC stopped working. Dealer replaced compressor and a bunch of other parts for a LOT of money. AC works better, but will warm 20 degrees when accelerating from a stoplight. Its been back 3 times for it, and they cannot find the problem or admit one exists. I want some of my money back or something...how does one go about this? I might be able to dispute the charge with the credit company but i doubt it. Im not paying that kind of money for 'good enough'.

What's the process?

My plan is to first take it to an independent shop and show them the problem and confirm that it IS a problem and potentially have it repaired. If that ends up being right, then I will contact the dealership and give them one chance to refund the cost of the repair I had to find and fix for them. If they do not, ill file a complaint with the BBB for the same solution. Is the reasonable?
There really isn't a process. You signed a service agreement at the dealership. That represents your legal grounds. What does it say? BBB complaints really don't have all that much power and they will have a chance to tell their side so there is nothing automatic there.

You spend a lot of time and not gain anything.

My thoughts,

Steve

Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I am assuming you live in Texas. Personally, I would look over anything you signed. It will clearly (clear as mud anyway) outline what you are authorizing. There should be two forms, one to authorize the disassembly and diagnosis, and one to authorize repair.

Also, is pretty much a scam in and of itself. As a previous business owner I had to deal with them. Its not really a scam, but a BBB complaint really doesnt do anything.

Your CC company might or might not back you up.

This is taken from the Texas Attorney General's:

EDIT: I forgot, no legal discussion here on FTE. I have removed my quote. Here is a link to the relevant page from your state government. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml

Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I am assuming you live in Texas. Personally, I would look over anything you signed. It will clearly (clear as mud anyway) outline what you are authorizing. There should be two forms, one to authorize the disassembly and diagnosis, and one to authorize repair.

Also, is pretty much a scam in and of itself. As a previous business owner I had to deal with them. Its not really a scam, but a BBB complaint really doesnt do anything.

Your CC company might or might not back you up.

This is taken from the Texas Attorney General's:

EDIT: I forgot, no legal discussion here on FTE. I have removed my quote. Here is a link to the relevant page from your state government. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml
I would be surprised if the CC is supportive. The signed contract would be the basis of any court action.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Might I suggest that you call ford cust service and arrange for another dealer to look at the issue. Send Ford a email with the info and all the invoice #'s and see they will arrange another dealer to look at it.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
Might I suggest that you call ford cust service and arrange for another dealer to look at the issue. Send Ford a email with the info and all the invoice #'s and see they will arrange another dealer to look at it.
Will they get involved with something that is out of warranty? I don't know.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Good question but I think they might assist to get the repair made right.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Good question but I think they might assist to get the repair made right.
I actually think that's less likely. I've had good luck with CC companies. They have pretty good policies about that stuff.