1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Wanna be a powerstroke man

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Eallend7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanna be a powerstroke man

Alright fellas. I have been down in the pre powerstroke forum for a little while now. And for a good while now i have been looking at getting a new truck, but have just been narrowing down what i want. Was thinking a 99-03 PSD but right now their just really expensive. for the mileage i would like to find.
I've kinda narrowed my view to a 94.5-97 model f350 single rear wheel.
Crew cab
I have done a little bit of skimming over of the engine differences between the OBS and super duty engines, things like Turbo, Injectors, INTERCOOLER.
But i mean, it's still a 7.3l International.
I'm not really sure whats the highest HP anyone on here has seen out of on of the 94-97 trucks but i don't expect no 500hp.
I would love an automatic, But i would also love to tune it intake exhaust and MAYBE injectors. if i did that MAYBE intercooler.
But what kind of horsepower can we push with these transmissions before we have to do work on them? as far as the automatics go?
Like i said i wanna add a little bit of power to it, somethin to play around with at stoplights haha, but i wont be drag racing. And when it gets to the point that you have to upgrade transmissions and torque converters thats when it gets uneconomical to me and i should just buy a newer truck.
So lets hear it, maybe max HP out of some of this model truck, HP limits on the stock trannys? compared to the ZF-5?
(P.s dont tell the IDI guys im up here)

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eallend7
Alright fellas. I have been down in the pre powerstroke forum for a little while now. And for a good while now i have been looking at getting a new truck, but have just been narrowing down what i want. Was thinking a 99-03 PSD but right now their just really expensive. for the mileage i would like to find.
I've kinda narrowed my view to a 94.5-97 model f350 single rear wheel.
Crew cab
I have done a little bit of skimming over of the engine differences between the OBS and super duty engines, things like Turbo, Injectors, INTERCOOLER.
But i mean, it's still a 7.3l International.
I'm not really sure whats the highest HP anyone on here has seen out of on of the 94-97 trucks but i don't expect no 500hp.
I would love an automatic, But i would also love to tune it intake exhaust and MAYBE injectors. if i did that MAYBE intercooler.
But what kind of horsepower can we push with these transmissions before we have to do work on them? as far as the automatics go?
Like i said i wanna add a little bit of power to it, somethin to play around with at stoplights haha, but i wont be drag racing. And when it gets to the point that you have to upgrade transmissions and torque converters thats when it gets uneconomical to me and i should just buy a newer truck.
So lets hear it, maybe max HP out of some of this model truck, HP limits on the stock trannys? compared to the ZF-5?
No worries, we won't rat on ya! The stock auto trams is THE weakest link in the drivetrain in these trucks. Some guys with regular maintenance have gone 200k+ on them, but most fail do to one reason or another. Add in the mileage that most these trucks have on them, a little power and voila, you need a rebuild. And they aren't cheap for a good rebuild. For reliability and cost ZF is the best way to go. Especially if you can get one that's already been converted to single mass flywheel. My truck has 193k on it. Ran the auto till 192k. I put injectors in it at about 190k if that tells you anything.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I wouldn't put much more than stock to it without an upgraded valve body or shift kit and cooler at the least. I ran with my setup (stock turbo at the time) for a couple years with just a valve body and cooler upgrade and did fine. I freshened it this winter and put a billet converter in now.

If you drive normal and don't hotrod around the auto will work well. If you need to play at too many stoplights if you do an injector upgrade, I'd not expect it to last too long. Pulling hard will work it more too of course. Mine had 155k on it before I freshened it, and it was still working ok. Converter was getting weak though.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I burned up two of them and the third was starting to go. When I bought the dually, the first thing I did was but a 5 grand John Woods trans in it.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
I hate to say it...I will only have an auto. But the autos in these can not deal with massive power gains..in stock form they are adequate.
That being said...I won't have anything else but my cc auto.I'm fairly easy on it and its fairly stock.
When I do upgrade....it will get swapped for a built unit.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Eallend7
Elder User
Roger that fellas. Like i said i didn't expect any horse power monsters out of these trucks. Another question i would have though is how much did the 7.3l auto trany change in 99-03 models? I know those are capable of a lot more power than the 94-97.
but they are also intercooled etc.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Intercooled is for the turbo air pressure. Trans cooler is for keeping the trans cool which we have to add a bigger one then stock. The stock one sucks. The SD models have a 4R100, I think that's what its called, it might be a little stronger but not much. I think it can be adapted to our trucks but not worth the trouble I have read. I don't know for sure though.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
This^

Mechanically I dont think it's much different. There were some changes though.

I do know it's reputation isn't much better once you start adding power.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I made 518hp/995tq a few months ago on the dyno with my ZF5 and a dual disc clutch. With an auto, you'll need some trans work if you upgrade the injectors. A better torque converter, valve body, and cooler helps quite a bit, but eventually I'm sure a built unit will be needed.

FYI... The SD and OBS do have slightly different cranks and pistons, but have the same connecting rods up to 2000. Both cranks and pistons are strong pieces and are equally reliable. The connecting rods are the weak point in the bottom end and usually let go around 600hp.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Intercooled is for the turbo air pressure. Trans cooler is for keeping the trans cool which we have to add a bigger one then stock. The stock one sucks. The SD models have a 4R100, I think that's what its called, it might be a little stronger but not much. I think it can be adapted to our trucks but not worth the trouble I have read. I don't know for sure though.
The 4r100 is an updated version of our E4OD. The planetaries are stronger (6 pinion) and they change some of the support design for the bearings and shafts (iirc)

I figure it's about 15%-20% stronger in stock form. you can use it in our trucks but you have to change out a valve in the main pump and the solenoid pack and wiring (again iirc).

Richard

Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
95350PS
Senior User
The 6.7 ford trannys are supposed to be good to 550 HP in their stock form lol that would work perfect for me but I doubt mine ever sees 500hp lol

Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eallend7
i see how it is........you little secret is coming out now, you can rest assured on that!

j/k, just messin' man. Good luck with what you decide on.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Eallend7
Elder User
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
i see how it is........you little secret is coming out now, you can rest assured on that!

j/k, just messin' man. Good luck with what you decide on.
FOILED AGAIN!
haha, naw man its amazing the kind of things Justin and all the guys down there have done for our old trucks. It's just for what i want to do my truck isn't a great candidate, and yes i could just as easily sell mine and buy one in better condition, but i just don't have the skills or, i don't wannt say money, but i don't have the money to put into those trucks to get the kind of power justin is putting out. Hey, i figure as long as it says 7.3l on it. we're all family at the end of the day.

Besides, dad wants my truck, she'll still be in the family
Thanks for all the info guys! leaning towards a ZF5 im thinkin

Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
This is just my opinion.. But stay the heck away from the auto's! LOL!

I am with everyone on the power hold up on these E4OD's. After going full tilt on my swap out on my 7.3, the auto in mine lasted one week. Now I have a truck to go fetch several states away! LOL! I cant even give away my E4OD, so I am stuck with a heavy paper weight!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually
This is just my opinion.. But stay the heck away from the auto's! LOL!

I am with everyone on the power hold up on these E4OD's. After going full tilt on my swap out on my 7.3, the auto in mine lasted one week. Now I have a truck to go fetch several states away! LOL! I cant even give away my E4OD, so I am stuck with a heavy paper weight!
don't say everyone... There are plenty of us who don't want a manual tranny (me included).

I have almost 275k on my e4od...

richard

Quick Reply: Wanna be a powerstroke man