1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

98 e150 instrument lights-Strange Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
rustypierce
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 e150 instrument lights-Strange Issue

When I pull the headlight **** out to running lights or full headlights, the green dash turn signal indicators both left and right light up solid. Also the blue high beam indicator light comes on. It also displays in reverse order. When high beams are on, no blue indicator light. High beams off, blue indictor light is on!

Instrument panel lights do not illuminate at all. Everything else all works as normal. When I turn on right turn signal, right indicator light blinks as normal as left signal light indicator stays on solid, same is true with when using left signal only everything is reversed in order.

Dome light works correctly when headlight **** twisted to left stop. Heater, A/C and radio panel lights all work correctly and dim and brighten with headlight ****.

I have checked all fuses in both compartments inside and engine, swapped positions with relays and everything checks out good. All outside lights work correctly, no burn out bulbs.

This issue started intermittently a couple of months back. Now it's here for good, about 3 weeks straight now. Main issue is I can't see speedo or gauges at night.

I suspect the multifunction switch over the headlight ****. Is there anyway to test these to rule out one over the other?

One more thing...I pulled the radio and checked the stock radio back connections to rule out any problems there.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You are correct on assuming the Multi function switch....they can cause wierd things to happen...I would just replace it ....

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
This trread might be helpful if you DIY this change: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-signals.html

Its just one of many on that switch, common to both the F-Series and E-Series as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM
rustypierce
Freshman User
Fixed it!

Thanks for the link JWA. That links has some really good info. I also just wanted to thank you for your terrific pictures, descriptions on how to DIY on this site. They have helped me tremendously. You do a really excellent job!

I saw your post on the Tech Folder and thought I would try looking around inside the instrument cluster.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11747876

Before I started, I figured I would just try to spray everything down with electric cleaner. I sprayed the multifunction switch without removing any column covers. I just sprayed liberal amounts into all of the entry points while moving the lever into every position. I waited until everything evaporated and tried the lights...No improvement. Moved on to the headlight switch, took it out and sprayed it...waited for evaporation, no improvement.

At this point, I thought I might as well go in and poke around the cluster. I removed it, without taking it completely out of car. I couldn't find anything by really looking at it, so I pressed hard on all the connections and reinstalled it. Too my surprise. Everything worked perfectly! Whoopie! best fathers day present to me!

What fixed it? Who knows! Maybe electric spray finally worked as I was giving all of the moving parts a real work out. Maybe cluster connections were loose and when I reassembled, got good connections or maybe with all of this movement, tugging and wiggling of parts, the multifunction switch harness, got a better connection.

I would not be surprised if it acts up again, at least I know I am in the right neighborhood in finding a solution. I suspect the multifunction harness loose connection after reading your link above.

Your documentation is fantastic and extremely accurate!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:18 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Well, thank you Mr RustyPierce---your comments make me blush! My main motivation for publishing here as I do is something similar would have helped me considerably when I first bought and began working on my own E-Series. Over time I've learned a few things, FTE has filled in many of the gaps dumb luck doesn't find for me. If something can be passed along I'm more than glad to contribute.

As to what fixed your issue---hard to tell as you say. We never think an electrical part that's used frequently as becoming non-operative for any thing other than being worn out. Given our vehicles are exposed to the elements for the most part--even the interior stuff---its somewhat easy to understand bits of corrosion can work into connections and cause problems, either full failure or intermittent.

Next time this same thing crops up you'll have a good idea where to begin---hoping that isn't the case anytime soon though!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
rustypierce
Freshman User
You are very welcome!

I am onto my next project that I know nothing about. A/C just starting blowing warm air. I have had the van recharged once since 1998, probably about 3 years ago. I was always told to have a professional do this. My neighbor said he would help me, however he seems to be too busy! I will start researching it soon!

Thanks Rusty

Old 10-27-2016, 02:24 PM
ZEEN99
New User
As an update, I too had the same problem with my E-350 2002 van. I replaced the switch, no go. Tested white/tan wire, had power. Pulled the instrument cluster, reconnected and problem solved! Thanks for the insight.