6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Regen question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidvc1964
By the way, when I mentioned cracked dpf, he immediately told me that there would be a code for that/the service engine light would come on. I didn't really know what to say to that?
he is wrong.
the awnser to that should have been "really, what code?"
dpf ineffeciancy codes are generated by either the maf or the dpfe sensor.
the dpf can only tell you when its part pluged or worse and if its not not working.
therers a few other things like lambda temps that tell you a little bit of info but thats all up to tech interpatation.
theres is also a regen timer thats shows last request and last complete regen but those can be a little confusing.

none the less its still comes down to reprogram and retest does it still puff smoke. its a yes or no question.
crap like this is why dealer's will continue to loose both quality techs and great customers.
we spent far to many years living off warranty to learn how to care about quality service.
sorry for my rant but atleast its a rant filled with info

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
he is wrong.
the awnser to that should have been "really, what code?"
dpf ineffeciancy codes are generated by either the maf or the dpfe sensor.
the dpf can only tell you when its part pluged or worse and if its not not working.
therers a few other things like lambda temps that tell you a little bit of info but thats all up to tech interpatation.
theres is also a regen timer thats shows last request and last complete regen but those can be a little confusing.

none the less its still comes down to reprogram and retest does it still puff smoke. its a yes or no question.
crap like this is why dealer's will continue to loose both quality techs and great customers.
we spent far to many years living off warranty to learn how to care about quality service.
sorry for my rant but atleast its a rant filled with info
Please don't apologize. I so appreciate all the information. I only wish I had the terminology and the knowledge to explain this in the manner in which you did.
As for the smoke, I haven't checked yet, but I will suspect that it is still there. But i will check tomorrow. Tonight I cleaned the tail pipes out really good and will watch to see how long it takes for them to get soot on them again. When it happens I will go back again and reiterate the cracked dpf and see if it gets me anywhere. Eventually, they will have to replace it.
Once again, thank you so much for all your information.
Dave

Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
I don't see what a reflash will do for smoke that's supposed to be filtered out by the DPF.

The last request and last complete regen PIDs tell how many miles have been driven since the last regen was prematurely terminated (such as shutting the truck down, or putting the tranny in neutral or park while it was in regen) and the miles since the last fully completed regen, respectively. The two counters will be the same if the last regen finished on its own.

For them to not know when the last regen was is an indication of lack of training or they simply didn't look at the PIDs!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
dave anytime. im not in the 6.4 section very often however if you need help or have question just send me a pm