1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

How to jack up my truck to bleed power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:40 PM
44nneedit
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to jack up my truck to bleed power steering

I realize this seems like a dumb question. Dumber, is that I just spent two hours going through forums for information and still can't find an answer for MY truck. I am having trouble with a noisy new power steering pump and the only thing I haven't tried is to try the bleed with the wheels off the ground. My problem arises when I get my two jack stands ready, chalk the back tires, and slide my floor jack under the front jacking points and I plan to lift one side, then the other. The problem is I cant get the jack stands in tight enough to where the frame tubes are. The truck is a 1980 f150 2wd 5.0 with twin i-beam/kingpin suspension. There's a curved steel piece going across the front just behind the bumper. Is this skid plate thing a safe point to jack the entire front end up from? Also, if I place the jack stands at the jacking points, won't it be too close to the wheels to effectively turn the wheel from point to point? Also, the frame tube rail is curved until it gets to my door panel and it seems that it would be too heavy in front. Also, with the truck jacked up the wheels don't get off the ground for quite some time. By the time the wheels get up off the ground it seems like there's a lot of weight drooping there and if on stands with engine running it seems like it's going to be stressful on the pump for bleeding as much as if it wasn't jacked up. Also, feels like hoses, tubing attached to i-beams will stress or break. Do the wheels (31x10.5) need to be removed to do this? This whiny pump has turned out to be noisier than my last whiny Ford pump. Even if I get the Saginaw, I'll still need to bleed this thing. I'm going to the wrecker now to get an extra reservoir cap to make a vac bleeder. Hopefully when I get home there will be some answer(s) for me here. You guys always seem to know. I really tried to get this info first before posting.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
There's not really anything to be gained by jacking the truck up.

Fill the fluid reservoir & find somewhere with enough room to drive around slowly, going from full lock to the opposite lock, a few times.
The oil will circulate up to the reservoir, & any air bubbles will bleed off.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
44nneedit
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Ken Blythen
There's not really anything to be gained by jacking the truck up.

Fill the fluid reservoir & find somewhere with enough room to drive around slowly, going from full lock to the opposite lock, a few times.
The oil will circulate up to the reservoir, & any air bubbles will bleed off.
That's kind of what I figured. Maybe, even, something to lose by doing so. I believe the air is out because the fluid isn't at all foamy. I used straight Type F ATF to fill the reservoir, then after awhile did the turkey baster thing three times to clean it up/flush it. Then I got tired of hearing about Lucas being the fix so I tried that. However, I put it on top of the ATF that was in there. I went through two bottles of that trying to see if it was just not a good mix. Ialso heard that if it's a noisy pump it will remain noisy-no matter what you try. Why does Ford put us through this?
Don't they realize the p.i.t.a. it is to rent a pully puller, drop two other belts, buy more fluid over and over until we find a quiet one? I don't mind a little groaning, but this just crosses the line. Some say the noise means air-some say the Lucas takes 300 miles, some say 2 days, another guy said 3 seconds. What do you think about the conditioner rather than the stop leak? I guess I'm gonna try and rig this cap I just got to take a vac-line and see if I can get it to quiet down a little. Thanks for replying.
BTW-If I wanted to get the front up on stands, how say you?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
I'd have to go & look at my truck to be able to help.

I have jacked it up & put stands behind the front wheels (on the chassis rails), to give access when I was replacing shocks & radius arm bushings.......but that's probably not necessary for what you are wanting to do.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The real solution is to find a Saginaw pump from a van.

Go buy a tube of limited slip additive and try it in the P/S pump.
Many people say this quiets them right down. (but it stinks and I have not done it)

Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
The ole buzzy PS pumps...... If its new, drive it for a few days to work out the air that's emulsified in the fluid. It should quiet down once the air works out of the fluid.

If not, then another "new"pump time or the Saginaw pump from a van time.

Also try regular power steering fluid, I did on my truck and the pump was quieter than using ATF.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM
44nneedit
Mountain Pass
The noisy power steering pumps from Ford is an old worn topic that I've read at least a dozen threads about. I've got a hundred different solutions and about 4-5 repeated possibilities to try. I'm down to my last two. I'm putting in this limited slip treatment in about an hour. I'll update if it works. I still can't believe nobody on FTE has any input about how to get my front end up on jack stands to do any of the things the shop manual calls for in doing so. Such as the c6 intermediate band adjustment. If I had to guess, there is a way using two jacks maybe. Using the 2nd jack under the i-beams but it would have to span both. I'm just not sure. Perhaps it's just a matter of taking off the wheels to lessen the weight that would be put on the cross arms, etc.
Oh well. Thanks, anyways.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 44nneedit
I still can't believe nobody on FTE has any input about how to get my front end up on jack stands to do any of the things the shop manual calls for in doing so. Such as the c6 intermediate band adjustment. If I had to guess, there is a way using two jacks maybe. Using the 2nd jack under the i-beams but it would have to span both. I'm just not sure. Perhaps it's just a matter of taking off the wheels to lessen the weight that would be put on the cross arms, etc.
This all seems a bit strange.

You might need to be more specific about what you are trying to do, & why.....certainly you can put two stands under the I-beams for some jobs.

Normally you wouldn't need to jack the truck for a band adjustment.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Quote:"
I still can't believe nobody on FTE has any input about how to get my front end up on jack stands...."

Are you trying to jack up the truck in the center with one jack? You cannot do that, you must jack up one side, put wheel stand under, then jack up the other side, its not like a solid axle where you can jack up the center...

I have put wheel stands under a 4x2 and 4x4 Fords with no problems.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
44nneedit
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Quote:"
I still can't believe nobody on FTE has any input about how to get my front end up on jack stands...."

Are you trying to jack up the truck in the center with one jack? You cannot do that, you must jack up one side, put wheel stand under, then jack up the other side, its not like a solid axle where you can jack up the center...

I have put wheel stands under a 4x2 and 4x4 Fords with no problems.
".... My problem arises when I get my two jack stands ready, chalk the back tires, and slide my floor jack under the front jacking points and I plan to lift one side, then the other. The problem is I cant get the jack stands in tight enough to where the frame tubes are. ..."
I think this is pretty specific. All I'm getting is reasons why it's not necessary. Nobody's giving any procedure for getting it up on stands. I am well aware of other trucks being able to get up. They have front leaf springs, etc. There's little question about where a jack stand would be of use and of adequate support.
Thanks though for the reply. Everyone.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Ah, I see now whats going on. At 1st I though you were trying like my ex-brotherinlaw tried doing with a Ford truck. He tried to jack up the truck from the center like a chevy truck.....

What I do on my trucks, is put the jack inside enough on the I beam to give room for the wheel stand. Be carefull as it could slip on the I beam. I leave the wheels on till I get all wheel stands under just incase it does fall off(happened once as I beam was oiled up) it don't drop too far!

I use a 1x4 board about 4" long on the jack's head to the I beam. That will crush down and helps to keep the slipping from occuring.