1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Greetings to all, I've started the adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 AM
philaz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings to all, I've started the adventure!

Just purchased an '03 X with the monster 7.3... On our trip to Phoenix from Denver we put 150th K mile on and got an amazing 11.5mpg! It came with a 4" ProComp lift 325 Hankook Dynas on 20 inch rims... No mods under the hood or to the exhaust.
After much reading here, my package with the yellow tape just arrived with the 6637 filter. We had the Dynas replaced with Nitto 295 AT's just yesterday...have the Superchip programmer to do as well....

Sooooo.... What's next? Exhaust? I was thinking 4" with a flow thru muffler....

I've about tapped out the wife.... For cash (keep it clean), so lets not talk about changing gears yet...

Any help is appreciated!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Welcome to FTE! We have a rich tradition of enabling PMS, powerstroke modification syndrome. Always happy to help you save money by DIY repairs so you can spend it on mods.

Gauges and exhaust are customary initial mods, especially the gauges so you can monitor what's going on to avoid problems. For example, a tuner burning too much fuel at too low an RPM will drive up EGTs and you need to know that to avoid possibly melting important engine guts.

How are you planning to use the truck?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

SuperChips - OK, but for about the same $$, you can get custom tunes that will SMASH the SuperChips in power and safety for your engine. I'm running a DP Tuner F5, but there is also Gearhead Performance, Tony Wildman, and a host of others. If you can return the SuperChips, I'd do so ASAP and call around to some of those other shops to see what they can do for you.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
philaz, welcome to the brotherhood man! i'd say first and foremost, join your local FTE chapter, try to get a window decal and slap that puppy on your X. second, search and glean the posts on here as much as you can. like david said, there are tons of DIY mods... i would also agree with the question, how are you planning on using the truck? you have things to tow? loads to haul? lots of road trips?
the 6637 is the first thing i did. then exhaust, then leveling kit, then tires, then.... the list goes on and on.
enjoy the 7.3 and don't tell the mrs. everything you plan on doing. maybe a regulated return kit for you, a bouquet of flowers for her
take care man and enjoy!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a reasonable answer to this that I posted some time ago. Click the custom tune link in my signature.

11 MPG? You can do a lot better, I get 16-19 MPG. I'd focus on that first.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM
flavo
Senior User
Welcome, like Tug said you can do a lot better then 11. I think you are at the low end of the spectrum on MPG.
Ditto on clicking on his mod write up too. I personally think it should be stickied for all the help it would do for us newbs.

I think the 1st thing you want to do is clean your ebst.
My MPG sucked. albeit not as bad as your. When I cleaned/replaced mine my mileage went up 3mpg overnite.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-is-this.html

do lots of reading and work on maintenance stuff before the mods IMO.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, clean out your EBPV tube. Also, check for boost leaks. You likely have them on your CAC / IC boots and/or leaking up pipes. At least, with that kind of MPG it is likely.

As for mods, ditto 100% on the read first, then pull trigger. My personal order would be something like:

-Ford AIS intake
-AIH delete
-HP/X mod (oil crossover)
-Exhaust
-Hutch / In-tank mods
-FRx fuel crossover
-Gauges
-Chip (not a Superchips, Hypertech, or BullyDog...a real chip)

Take your time. Enjoy the PMS ride.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
philaz
New User
Thanks guys! Got the 6637 on, mpg is up to 12.2... gonna clean the EBPS next.
Regarding use, mostly roadtrips with an 8,000lbs trailer, so I'd like to get this mpg up somewhere reasonable before attaching the trailer...
Exhaust hopefully in the near future, wife is cross eyed at this point!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:05 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome! FTE is a great place to learn and meet new people. I've personally had members come to my aid on the road side as fetch parts from a dealership while I was stranded.

I have a host of videos on YouTube on various how tos, repairs, and mods; all inspired by the community you find before you. One of who he you will fine already posted above.

Now on to your truck...

150k miles and no mods. Sounds like not much time was spent under the hood. Given that, I bet you have some boost leaks. Make yourself a boost leak detector.

I would also make it a point to change all of your fluids and filters soon so you can establish a baseline of maintenance on the truck.

I also second the gauges idea. I have a triple gauge pod, but at about $500 it's a steep buy-in. You could opt for a Scangauge II for much less and get the job done.

You have a manual transmission so trams temps aren't as important. The three gauge set up is pretty standard and it is Trans, EGT and Boost, but a you need not worry about Trans temp I would say fuel pressure would be your next concern.

If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me or start up a thread. Lots of knowledgable people here.

Welcome again.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You wont get much better then 12 mpg with 20's and a lift.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Has the spedometer been recalibrated? If not it will throw the shifts off....as well as MPG calculations.

A good scan tool can reset the spedo for tire size compensation.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by clem1226
Has the spedometer been recalibrated? If not it will throw the shifts off....as well as MPG calculations.

A good scan tool can reset the spedo for tire size compensation.
BAMM-O!

This is why FTE is such an awesome place. Maybe he did get it recalibrated way back when, but if not, this is a must-do!!! All the modifying in the world is going to be frustrating if your speedometer / odometer calibration is off.

I wouldn't have thought of this but once out of 100, if that. Excellent insight. REPS coming your way!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by robbragiel
You wont get much better then 12 mpg with 20's and a lift.
And Robb...while OT, you did it again with the first five words under that avatar. Stinking hilarious, whether intentional or not.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478
And Robb...while OT, you did it again with the first five words under that avatar. Stinking hilarious, whether intentional or not.
LOL...no it wasn't intentional but now that you bring it up, that is pretty hard to beat.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 PM
philaz
New User
Just checking back in... We got back in from AZ last week. After using the Superchip to recalibrate to the tires and using their Mileage saver program, we got 14mpg coming up to Denver. Been driving around last few days and was hitting 15 till I attached the 4,000 lbs trailer, and we actually got 13.3 going uphill...
Still need to clean the EB whatever and add the 4" exhaust, but we were darned please to see the increase. Might get this thing over 16 if I keep going.
Thanks again for all the comments, everyone has been appreciated!

Quick Reply: Greetings to all, I've started the adventure!