1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy with an old truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
blueriverbob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with an old truck

Hey all,
Just purchased a 1955 Ford F250 for 1k. It ran two years ago when I first looked at it. Bed is in need of replacement but other than that no rust other than surface rust. The truck has history from our area in the McKenzie Valley as one of the older teachers in the area brought his family here in 62 from California with it. Not sure if I want to restore it or just get it running again and putt around.

Not even sure if 1k was a good deal. Any feedback / guidance on parts/restoration or if I got a good deal or not would be appreciated. Cant figure out how to add pics

Damn nice looking truck though

Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 AM
blueriverbob
New User
Just posted an album in the pics. Blueriverbob's 55 Ford

Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bob,
Welcome Aboard! That's a pretty nice trucking for $1K. I paid $6.5K for my 1950 that was barely running. It takes some cash to bring them fully back to pristine condition. I like the get it running plan & let it tell you what it needs.

What sort of engine do you have in it?

The easiest way to post pics is to join the site ($20 I believe). That get's rid of most of the ads & you get a little paperclip icon. You click the paperclip & can post directly from your hard drive. There is another method where you cut & paste from online sources like photobucket but I found the other way much easier.

Good luck over there in Oregon!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you go to your control panel (user cp left hand end of the blue bar near the top of the page) and click on edit gallery on the left hand side of the page that appears, you can create and fill one or several galleries of pics (watch the file size limits tho, many of the multimega pixel camera files are too large and need to be reduced with photo editing software first.) Once you have them in a gallery, you can link to them or put them in a post. Others can view all your gallery pics by clicking on your user name in any post you make and choosing view gallery in the drop down menu that appears.
You can see my galleries by clicking on my user name in the header of this post, give it a try!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Rocketman55
Senior User
Welcome to FTE. Looks like a great truck...enjoy.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Hammerga
New User
I am a new guy also. I have a 54 F100 basket case. I find it a little complicated to post or show pics here. So I mostly lurk. The body on my truck is great shape and just needs paint and put back together. Everything else is a puzzle or is sucking up all my extra cash. So have not paid to join. Anyways I have learned a bunch from the posters here. Thanks to all of you.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Hammerga,
Keep posting - You'll get the hang of posting pics. I'd follow Ax's advice & start with putting some pics in your "garage". Welcome Aboard!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 544 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by blueriverbob
Just posted an album in the pics. Blueriverbob's 55 Ford
Welcome to FTE!

Get her running and then improve step by step. Otherwise you'll become overwhelmed both in time and money.

But most of all ENJOY!!!!

BJ

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 544 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammerga
I am a new guy also. I have a 54 F100 basket case. I find it a little complicated to post or show pics here. So I mostly lurk. The body on my truck is great shape and just needs paint and put back together. Everything else is a puzzle or is sucking up all my extra cash. So have not paid to join. Anyways I have learned a bunch from the posters here. Thanks to all of you.

Guess this is a twofor

Welcome and save a few bucks to Joint. Life is much easier as a supporter. Also don't forget you'll have to post several times and wait some amount of days to take full advantage of the site.( I'm hoping someone will chime in with specifics).

"Projects" are the hardest for a beginner. It's really easy to lose interest, run out of money or just become overwhelmed. Just make a plan and stick with it. Even if you reassemble it "stock" at first it will help you know how and where stuff is and works. Once you got it together. Then make another plan for your desired improvements.
They can be money pits but if you watch Craigslist and Ebay as well as other local sources there are some deals to be found. Save the purchases from vendors to the hard to find stuff.

Again Welcome to FTE,

BJ

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fire that engine up and drive her. We will gladly help. First open the hood and .............
Well ya get the idea.

Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you have a great project there and a good deal. I agree that you should get it running, serf here a little to see what others do and consider options before diving in. My journey started 12 years ago as a project with my son. He had "show truck" ideas but it was a low budget project so it dragged out. I got it running last year.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
don't listen to them !!! tear it down ,,send the parts out for paint and chrome ..get fat tires ..and a killer stereo ..and ..naw ..that won't work I'm with the make it run and play with it crowd ...my truck has been on the road 2 years now ..still working on it ..but having FUN with it as well..makes for a much better game..and you will get more into it every time someone smiles and gives you a thumbs up congratulations on your new truck !!