Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OBD Monitors not ready

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
jbm1161
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD Monitors not ready

I recently had my truck Fail smog. noted problems were low current on glow plug bank 2 and the inspector noted the SES indicator light was burnt out.

So armed with the outstanding "how to" info on this forum I changed out all of glow plug in bank 2 (driver side) and changed out the SES bulb

But now the OBD has 9 out of 10 IM monitors not ready.
I have done several drive cycles to try to clear the not ready condition.

But to no success. I now have over 700 mile sense the last ODB reset
and still 9 monitors not ready. (Truck is running smooth no operational issues other than the OBD monitors)

The monitors were working before the glow plug change out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge
Jose. 1999 F250 7.3L

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't really know what you mean by OBD monitors not ready.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You might try "rebooting". Disconnect the grounds from your batteries and let everything reset.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jbm1161
I recently had my truck Fail smog. noted problems were low current on glow plug bank 2 and the inspector noted the SES indicator light was burnt out.

So armed with the outstanding "how to" info on this forum I changed out all of glow plug in bank 2 (driver side) and changed out the SES bulb

But now the OBD has 9 out of 10 IM monitors not ready.
I have done several drive cycles to try to clear the not ready condition.

But to no success. I now have over 700 mile sense the last ODB reset
and still 9 monitors not ready. (Truck is running smooth no operational issues other than the OBD monitors)

The monitors were working before the glow plug change out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge
Jose. 1999 F250 7.3L
That is a new one for me. I have no idea what the OBD monitors would be on this truck since it's non-OBDII compliant (says so on the right side valve cover sticker...). Are you getting a P1000 code?

Your truck should pass emissions as long as your SES light isn't on and you have the CCV connected (and catalyst installed if originally equipped...). What state are you testing in?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this four-year-old thread, but was there ever a resolution to this?

I just got a call from a friend with a California 2000 4R100 truck that's failing smog for a "OBD-II Not Ready" error code. He recently changed his Glow Plug Control Module (which WAS bad) and cleared his codes, but now it gives the smog-check place this error code. He has driven it since, some, but the code persists. There is now no check engine light illuminated.

Is anyone aware of what kind of specific driving requirements he needs to go through to change this "state" to "ON" or "READY"?

Please don't guess at an answer. There has to be someone out there who knows for sure.

Thanks,

Pop

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Sorry to resurrect this four-year-old thread, but was there ever a resolution to this?

I just got a call from a friend with a California 2000 4R100 truck that's failing smog for a "OBD-II Not Ready" error code. He recently changed his Glow Plug Control Module (which WAS bad) and cleared his codes, but now it gives the smog-check place this error code. He has driven it since, some, but the code persists. There is now no check engine light illuminated.

Is anyone aware of what kind of specific driving requirements he needs to go through to change this "state" to "ON" or "READY"?

Please don't guess at an answer. There has to be someone out there who knows for sure.

Thanks,

Pop

The "not ready" code P1000 sets after all DTCs have been cleared either with a scan tool or by disconnecting the batteries, It will not illuminate the check engine light but it will show up none the less and it means that all the systems that monitor the emissions control components are not on line yet, so it cannot pass a smog test. It will eventually clear but the best way to be sure is to follow the Ford Motor Company Drive Cycle: Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Note if there is a problem with the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) it will likely never clear.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

THANKS for the link to the drive cycle!

After reading the FoMoCo Driving Cycle instructions, it is apparent that most of it is relevant to gassers.

Do we know what systems "monitor the emissions control components"?

This is a non-catalytic converter truck, so it doesn't even have that, much less something that monitors it. What's even monitored?

I dropped by my own smog guy today to ask him about this, and he hasn't a clue. The smart young kid that did my tests last August isn't there any more. He likely got a much better job. He sure knew 7.3s, and wanted to buy mine outright at the time. I'm confident he would have known the details to get to the bottom of this.

The Ford Drive Cycle will help my friend to get farther into this.

Thanks again!!

Pop

Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Pop:

I recently had a similar issue. I didn't have any codes, and I set my DP Tuner back to stock for the smog. but, my Scan Gauge showed "Not Ready". I cleared the P1000 code, but it still showed Not Ready. I ended up disconnecting the DP Tuner completely, drove to work and back (~85 miles), and passed the smog test with no problem. Your post doesn't indicate if your friend has a tuner or not, so I am throwing this out there as one possible solution......

Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Don, thanks for the input.

His is stone stock, no tuner, which makes this so baffling.

He has been back to his smog check twice after the initial reading of "Not Ready", and has driven it normally in the interim, though not a lot.

We're looking for the specific things that need to happen so he will get a "Ready" when he takes it back for the fourth time (third return).

Clearing the P-1000 code (or ANY code) starts the "Not Ready" cycle all over again.

It may just be that he hasn't driven it enough, and through all the right conditions. We don't want to go even look at the codes now, for fear of again setting P-1000, even if it's now cleared.

Pop

Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just dealt with the p1000 code last month. After following the ford recommendations for the drive cycle, it cleared. I followed the instructions using some back roads and took about an hour.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Did you have to repeat it after eight hours like it mentions in Step 14?

Pop

Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 PM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine cleared after the first attempt.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Here is the diesel version for the P1000 drive cycle.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
7.3P1000DriveCycle.pdf (171.0 KB, 712 views)

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Justin, thank you!

This should do it, and is eggs-act-lee what he needs.

Thanks to all who contributed to this!

And now, we have yet another bit of the collective knowledge about 7.3s that is the hallmark of this forum!

Again, THANKS!

Pop

Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Thanks Jason, I thought there was a simpler one out there but it was eluding me.

Quick Reply: OBD Monitors not ready