1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Your Experiences Needed - Camaro Front Clip on 48 F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Experiences Needed - Camaro Front Clip on 48 F1

We're doing a “frame off” rebuilding of a 48 F1 and we used the front suspension, clip, motor mounts and the 350 small block engine & transmission from a '75 Camaro. We're now starting re-assembly with the cab to be mounted in the next week or so once we get the the new F1 aluminum replacement radiator re-mounted in front of the Camaro clip. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I had the following thread going last night about mounting the radiator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1243645-detail-of-48-f-1-radiator-mounting-parts.html) and the exchange generated a lot of very helpful information on that topic. <o></o>
The biggest concern we learned of last night was that removing the front 1/4 of the original frame takes away the vertical and horizontal points of reference for putting much of the front end back together. We had anticipated this but learned more last night.<o></o>
Specifically, we were advised to measure carefully before final welding of the new radiator cross member and to be sure to "trial fit" the sheet metal (inner fenders, fenders, grille assembly and hood) before firmly fixing everything in place. <o></o>
I said to the guys last night that forward horizontal placement of the radiator should be (we hoped) pretty close because before the original frame was trimmed, we measured the distance between the two holes in the front frame cab mounts and the original radiator mounting holes. However, AXracer expressed his concern that we probably should have measured from the firewall, not the front cab mounting bracket hole. <o></o>
old_dan suggested that we ask someone who had a stock 48-50 F1 with the front sheet metal off to measure the distance from the firewall to the radiator mounting holes which is a good suggestion. <o></o>
I shared that information with my mechanic this morning and he asked me to see if I could get further feedback from anyone who has done a similar front suspension swap either with the Camaro front clip or another type/brand of clip.<o></o>
Specifically, 1) Can anyone get us a good measurement between the front radiator mounting holes on a 48 or equivalent F1 and the firewall? Also, please let us know whether your original truck was a six or V-8 since the radiator was placed further ahead on the six cylinder engine (thanks old_dan). 2) Secondly, other than bolting the inner fenders to the cab and then vertically aligning the mounting holes in the radiator frame with the corresponding holes at the front of the inner fenders, is there any other way to reasonably accurately locate the radiator and radiator mount vertically in front of the transplanted Camaro front clip?<o></o>
My mechanic is in his 60's and has built hot rods all his life so he's no novice. Never the less, you never are to0 old to learn. Can anyone share experiences with us on what to be careful with, solutions that you’ve used or anything thing that you think would be helpful to helping get a good outcome. <o></o>
Thanks very much for your help.<o></o>

Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
The front cab mount holes are as reliable (probably better) than the firewall. Use the measurements you took as a first stab at it.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
I currently have the cab removed from my '49 F4,( should be same dimensions). I may find time to re-set the cab in a few days. Since the cab is designed to flex some on rubber mounts and the frame is going to flex to a lesser amount, I would concentrate on frame dimensions. I can get those dimensions tomorrow, Saturday.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My advice comes primarily from aligning the front doghouse on the 53-56 which is fussy about the radiator mount position. I defer to the more experienced others on the F series.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an Aussie Holden HZ front graft on my 52 (virtually the same as camaro), and I have the sheet metal off at the moment.

When we did mine, BEFORE we amputated the cassis rails, we made a model between plates mounted on the radiator support pad and the hood spring mount points connected by 1 inch square tube. Then, when the Camaro clip was on, we simply mounted a round bar betwain the front frame horns with a pad on top to line up with where the original was....

I can tak some pix for you, but we mounted my clip slightly higher (to lower the truck with stock GM coil springs!!!!

send me an email ( mark dot henderson at hydrochem dot com dot au ) if you want pix...

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

The F4 frame rail is flat from behind the cab to about mid way of the original front engine mounts. The frame takes a downward bend at 38 inches from the outboard center cab mount bolt at top of the rail. (pic) Distance from the outboard center cab mount bolt to a centerline of the front radiator support is forty five inches.
Total drop to the FRONT (6cyl) radiator bracket holes is 2 3/8 inch. The REAR (V8) drop is an additional 1/4 inch. Yes, there is a step in the cross member. The rear radiator mounting holes are three inches toward the engine.
HTH. If your guy has been doing this build thing for long he knows to mock up everything prior to making permanent welds. Good luck.

Edit; dimension correction

Attached Images    
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Note correction to overall dimensions. I have a piece of paper on my desk with 57 written from some other subject